The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old October 12, 2004, 07:52 AM   #1
Nylon66

Mossberg bolt action rifles

Any info on the Mossberg 100 ATRs in .30-06 and .270 being sold at Wal-Mart for $244.63

Last edited by Nylon66; October 12, 2004 at 01:43 PM.
Old October 12, 2004, 09:34 AM   #2
Te Anau

I wanna know about these too.Saw em for the first time a couple days ago.I wonder if theyre made in the USA?
Old October 12, 2004, 04:49 PM   #3
Danindetroit

Hope this helps

I searched and found that Mossberg bought charter arms. Here is a review
Old October 12, 2004, 07:21 PM   #4
FirstFreedom

I'm getting nothing on that link, danidetroit. Do you have a better link to that?
Old October 12, 2004, 09:28 PM   #5
Danindetroit

Link is good

You must have a PDF viewer. Stands for Printable downloadable Format(I could not make stuff like that up). It most be a plug-in to your current web-browser. The most used one is probably Adobe. If you go to most gun or optic websites the owners manual will be in this format, and they usually post a link to get a free copy of the viewer.link for free viewer
Old October 13, 2004, 08:36 AM   #6
Nylon66

Charter 2000 website down?

I can't get any part of www.charterfirearms.com to display.
Old October 13, 2004, 10:14 AM   #7
FirstFreedom

I got it now - thanks. I think it's down sometimes, up sometimes. I've got acrobat. It's an excellent article. Sounds like a very good rifle for the money! May have to get some of these.
Old October 13, 2004, 12:30 PM   #8
foghornl

I haven't had a chance to test fire it yet, but I recently bought one of the Mossberg ATR-100's in .30-06. From what I can see, it looks similar in construction to some of the Savage rifles, with the threaded-barrel & locknut assembly, and 2-pillar action bedding. Synthetic stock, matte finish, and Weaver-style scope mount bases...no iron sights. 4+1 capacity, .270Win or .30-06 caliber, 22" barrel. I'll have to take a look, but I think it is marked "Made in USA".

Has sling studs installed. I negotiated a small reduction in price from the Wal-Mart Sporting Goods guy, because the finish was scratched a bit from where the barrel rubbed against the wire vertical rack in the spin-around display cabinet.

Anyway, with careful perusing of the close-out rack, etc, I ended up with the .30-06 rifle, Uncle Mikes QD swivels, Allen brand camo sling with 4 ammo loops, Leupold High-Rise rings, and a Simmons 'Blazer' 3-9x50 scope for $309, out the door.

The "Honey Dew" list is pretty long right now, so it will be at least another 3 weeks before I get a change to wring it out at the range. But will post results. I already have a huge amount of various brand/weight ammo, from 147-gr FMJ Winchester White Box, up to 220-Gr Rem core-lokt soft-point.
Old October 13, 2004, 02:29 PM   #9
Nylon66

"Has sling studs installed."

foghornl,
Are yours metal studs? The ones in my local Wal-Marts are integral to the stock (plastic).
Old October 13, 2004, 02:32 PM   #10
foghornl

Hmmmm

I gotta take a look at my ATR when I get home, but I think the studs are "integral". Also gonna look to see where it is made.
Old October 13, 2004, 02:45 PM   #11
Danindetroit

I finally went to their actual website, I think I have read reviews on their revolvers. They make a no frills, fires when you pull the trigger, low priced not afraid to use revolvers. Or as Diane Finstein calls it saturday night specials. I wonder if she says the design of these guns make them more accuarate if they are spray fired from the shoulder
Old October 13, 2004, 05:48 PM   #12
foghornl

I took a good look at my ATR-100. The swivel studs are molded into the stock, so "integral" is the right term. It is stamped Mossberg, with some address in Conneticutt, I think, with the box stating "Made in the USA", but I don't see any contry of origin in the actual rifle.

I also took a $1 bill, and wrapped halfway around the barrel, then slid it between the barrel & stock. Got the $1 nearly to the forward mounting bolt, so looks like it is a 'full-floating' barrel.

While not very expensive, I hope this will turn out to be a decent quality acurate rifle. If it will hold "minute of Bambi" @300 Yards, works for me.

Last edited by foghornl; October 14, 2004 at 01:58 PM.
Old October 14, 2004, 09:12 AM   #13
FirstFreedom

Quote:
Anyway, with careful perusing of the close-out rack, etc, I ended up with the .30-06 rifle, Uncle Mikes QD swivels, Allen brand camo sling with 4 ammo loops, Leupold High-Rise rings, and a Simmons 'Blazer' 3-9x50 scope for $309, out the door.
Damn, all that and American made - yes it's an American company (Shelton, CT), and I don't THINK they contract out the manuf to overseas - well, I guess they could be overseas manuf'ed - the article doesn't say. We *may* just have a winner on a VERY affordable, american-made bolt rifle. Still, the Savage is tough to beat, with an accu-trigger and it's accuracy, even if a little more $. Not sure how I feel about integral plastic sling swivel studs - I guess there's no particular reason they need to be strong as steel - their only purpose is to hold the sling to the rifle stock, so I guess I don't have a big problem with that, other than cheesiness. But, it's a super economy model, so that's what you'd expect. The accuracy from that report of the .243 version appears VERY acceptable - several sub-MOA groups, and 1 or 2 1/2 MOAs.
Old October 19, 2004, 08:18 PM   #14
Nylon66

I bought one

I broke down and bought one. It reminded me of my Kel-Tec P-11, but with a better finish. It's my first bolt action rifle. But is the bolt supposed to wiggle that much when it's open?