The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old October 27, 2004, 12:43 AM   #1
Ignition

Daewoo, the car maker... makes GUNS??

wow today i foud out something new. you learn something every day

daewoo makes guns... thats right daewoo

at first i was skeptic, still not tottally sold but the ffl dealer, which is a great guy and also head of dnr for my county, said he also owns one and sometimes uses it as his carry but usually he uses his glock.

he said they usually go for around $430-460 range new and this one i found is going for about $300

he said one of the unique things with this daewoo guns is the ability to take the gun from DA and cock the hammer back, in what would be SA, then take and push the hammer back down, into whats like a triple action. you can still turn on the saftey but it takes and has a round chambered and has the option of that first shot with like only a 2.5-3lb trigger pull. very nice fit as far as comfort and not too heavy.

he said realibility wise that it has worked great for him. as long as you take care of your guns, your guns should take care of you.

this link lists some info if people are curious
http://www.kitsune.addr.com/Firearms...aewoo_DP51.htm

anyone on this board own one or have experience with one.?

lets push for legislation to ban toe-nail clippers because airports believe they are deadly

a 9mm is really just a .45 set on stun

KEEP YOUR BOOGER HOOK OFF THE BANG SWITCH OF A GLOCK!
~~~~~~~~~~
from MAFIA INFORMANT SAMMY "THE BULL" GRAVANO
Quote:
"Gun control? It's the best thing you can do for crooks and gangsters. I want you to have
nothing. If I'm a bad guy, I'm always gonna have a gun."
Old October 27, 2004, 12:50 AM   #2
Handy

Yes, they make pistols, one of the best .223 service rifles, tanks, cars, electronics and ships. Kind of like a Korean Mitsubishi.

The Daewoo pistols are actually pretty good guns and feature a 'safety' system that FN patented. None are imported anymore.
Old October 27, 2004, 01:11 AM   #3
Samuel2001

Ignition,
I think you mean; "Daewoo the ship, tank, shipping container, heavy equipment(earth mooving), cannon, VCR, TV, DVD, small arms maker makes cars too?"

Build a bridge, and...GET OVER IT!
Old October 27, 2004, 01:14 AM   #4
Ignition

i have been doing some reading and found out that none are imported anymore. which makes me wanna grab this one just a tint bit more. as far as parts go are there places that still stock replacment parts, if needed. it is used so you can never be perfectly sure.

lets push for legislation to ban toe-nail clippers because airports believe they are deadly

~~~~~~~~~~
Quote:
"Gun control? It's the best thing you can do for crooks and gangsters. I want you to have
Old October 27, 2004, 07:31 AM   #5
Tamara
Moderator Emeritus

I believe someone has started importing the DP-51 again. Chuck Daley, maybe? Can't remember who... Will check when I get to work.

That thing's had more lives on the US market than the Charter Arms Bulldog...
Old October 27, 2004, 07:43 AM   #6
jtb1967

Nationwide Sports used to distribute the rifles and pistols, but I'm not sure who may handle them now.
Old October 27, 2004, 08:07 AM   #7
Tamara
Moderator Emeritus

I know; it's totally torturing me, 'cause I just looked it up for a customer last week. Incipient senility is a real drag.
Old October 27, 2004, 08:23 AM   #8
FirstFreedom

Tam, whats the dp-51? The K1/K2 types are no longer imported?!?
Old October 27, 2004, 10:17 AM   #9
Te Anau

Century brings em in on an ongoing basis.They are great,well made guns.
http://www.centuryarms.com/Century/home.htm
Old October 27, 2004, 11:25 AM   #10
support_six

Daewoo has been, and may still be, the current supplier of military rifles to the South Korean Army.

I owned a DP51 some years ago. I was able to buy it new for a very good, introductory price of about $280. It was very similar in feel to a S&W Model #59 I believe. It had two 13 round mags and you could use #59 mags in it as replacements. The "safety feature" you talked about was called "Tri-Action" by Daewoo. Basically it was a SA/DA pistol where decocking was accomplished by just pushing the cocked hammer forward with your thumb, till it rested on the frame! It seemed a strange thing to do but worked very well, and left you with a very light trigger pull to return the hammer to full cock and to fire.

It was a very sturdy weapon. It had perhaps a slightly rougher finish than I would have expected from a more expensive gun, but not bad. It never failed to feed or fire anything I put through it and was reasonably accurate.

It had been imported by a firm out of Harrisburg, PA and when they went under and quit supporting it, I sold it. If I could have had an uninterrupted level of support, I would have kept it for a "truck gun". It was a 9mm but later, I noticed it was also available in .40 S&W.

Bruce
Old October 27, 2004, 02:06 PM   #11
Alfa One

Daewoo does more then that. They make all kind of machinery, so why not guns?

They are like de FIAT of Asia
Old October 27, 2004, 04:40 PM   #12
durt_b1ker

I had a used one I bought for $200, it was a nice piece.
Old October 27, 2004, 10:25 PM   #13
Cheimison

Daewoo is a general manufacturer, I am not at all surprised they make guns. If you have quality machining and mass production experience firearms aren't anything magical, they're just a machine.
Old October 28, 2004, 09:40 PM   #14
croyance

Siemens makes PC's, telephones, fax machines, heavy machinery, turbines, medical equiptment of all kinds (& of high quality), industrial controls, etc.
Fiat, Mitsubishi, Hitachi, etc. are similarly expansive. It is fairly common in the rest of the world. The concentration of capitol, industrial expertise, marketing experience, and connections kind of bring it together.
In Europe, you will also see clusters of companies essentially built around banks. In many ways large companies are like banks, they are a large pool of potential investment capitol. So things like this happen.
Old October 28, 2004, 09:47 PM   #15
WillBrayjr

just like general electric makes the ge m134 minigun. if anyone wan'ts a minigun in a bb version let me know!
Old October 28, 2004, 10:02 PM   #16
Mike Irwin
Staff

The term, in Korean, is chaebol.

It means a widely diversified manufacturing conglomerate based around a parent company, and normally run by a single family that holds many of the top management positions.

Hyundai is the largest, and is truly massive.

Some others that you may have heard about, and their rankings:

Samsung, 2

Daewoo, 4

Kia, 8

Lotte, 10 (biggest American presence is in stores).

The Japanese have a similar concept, called keiretsu, which sprang up after American occupation forces broke up the zaibatsu after WW II.

The most recognizable keiretsu? Mitsubishi.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old October 28, 2004, 10:04 PM   #17
TiP99

My Dad commanded a fighter squadren in S. Korea and the base security force were equiped with Daewoos. I know its odd.
If you want peace - prepare for war
Old October 29, 2004, 02:39 AM   #18
Rob96

Hyundai now owns Kia.
Old October 29, 2004, 08:16 AM   #19
AustinMike

I used to have one, a few years back - the DP51, I think (9mm.) It was a decent gun. Interesting trigger mechanism, very smooth. As I recall, there was no decocker, but you could push the hammer down with your finger and have a light trigger pull even though the hammer is down on your next shot. I traded mine off, simply because I decided I didn't really like 9mm (I'm more a of .45 guy.) Thought my wife would use it, but she felt better with a revolver.
Old October 29, 2004, 08:34 AM   #20
Jehzsa

FWIW, Kia is the oldest car manufacturer in this world. That's odd.

BTW, interesting triple action gun the DP51. Never looked at it twice until reading this thread. Now I'm thinking about buying one.
Old October 29, 2004, 11:50 PM   #21
Ignition

my fav ffl dealer told me that there is a company thinking of importing them again. i was mad. today after all this thinking deciding, i decided to go with the used daewoo. i get to the store and he was like. im sorry your about a hour late. a marine that just got back from his tour of duty in iraq and other places came in, and he fell in love with the gun.

he took down my name and number to give me a call if they get anymore in, or if there is a company that starts importing he said he would look in to it. he says he loves his, but still carries his glock.

so now im back to waiting, looking on the internet, to be shipped to my ffl(dont like buying guns over the net), or between the cz and glock.

im leaning more towards the glock at this point. i just gotta watch out for using lead.

~~~~~~~~~~
Quote:
Old October 30, 2004, 07:01 AM   #22
Jehzsa

Century has them. http://centuryarms.com/store/

Both full and compact.
Old October 30, 2004, 06:17 PM   #23
Dakotan

Excellent weapon, the DP-51. A friend bought one at a police auction that had been thrown out of a car during a pursuit, and was later recovered.
It had some serious road rash, but everything was fully operational, and after a bit of repolishing, and touch up refinishing, and a new set of grips, it was looking and shooting great! He has less than $200 total in it, and it makes a great carry gun.

FWIW! - Dakotan
Old October 31, 2004, 12:49 AM   #24
Ignition

thank you jehsa for the info on centruyarms selling them. my ffl dealer was pretty sure that there was a company importing them again, he just didnt know who. ill give him this info.

~~~~~~~~~~
Quote:
Old October 31, 2004, 06:32 AM   #25
juliet charley

If you can find standard capacity (thirteen round) mags for them, let us know.