The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old December 18, 2004, 01:39 AM   #1
foogoo

Makarov Opinions?

I've been looking around for a 9mm first handgun but many of them are either too expensive or have had bad reviews. The Makarov caught my eye because it has a nice compact size and is reasonably priced. How does it perform? Is the ammo widely available?
Old December 18, 2004, 01:43 AM   #2
JohnKSa
Staff

Makarov you say?

Never heard of such a thing.

Where did you see the name? ...it couldn't have been around here--not recently, anyway.

http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/...hlight=makarov

Old December 18, 2004, 02:02 AM   #3
foogoo

Thanks, I should know better before posting next time
Old December 18, 2004, 04:57 AM   #4
9x19

Excellent pistols, excellent values, ammo widely available from internet sellers, may not be as easy to find in local shops.

I now have 9 of the little beasts, though 3 are destined as Christmas presents for my 3 sons.
Old December 18, 2004, 07:41 AM   #5
Jim Watson

Pro: A good solid light service pistol.
Con: Kicks like a SOB, a plastic locked breech 9mm like G26 or Kahr P9 has much less felt recoil. Just God-awful heavy trigger pull.

Another thread somebody had one expertly gunsmithed which brought the trigger pulls down from 18 lb DA, 9 lb SA to about half that. A great improvement... for only $165 on a $140 gun.
Old December 18, 2004, 07:58 AM   #6
Hal

Simple - small- crude - communist military arm.
What's not to like about it?

Kinda like a Russian great-coat only smaller and metal...

BTW - it isn't a "real" 9mm if by 9mm you mean the 9mm Luger round. Original chambering is between a .380 and a 9mmLuger in power/pressure.
Old December 18, 2004, 09:01 AM   #7
DT Guy

Good pistol-itty, bitty sights.

The trigger pull can be smoothed up quite nicely with only a little work.

Certainly one of the best values around...

Larry

Government, Anarchy and Chaos
Old December 18, 2004, 09:33 AM   #8
RUT

>>Good pistol-itty, bitty sights.<<

That's why I sent mine out and had Novak sights installed!
Old December 18, 2004, 09:33 AM   #9
coyote2

Makarov's are one of the best deals on the market next to CZ's. so far i have just one Mak, but plan on buying a couple more soon. i just put a CZ83 chambered in 9x18 makarov on layaway yesterday. the CZ comes with 2 12rd mags. depending on were your mak is made, it could be single stack 8rd. or double stack 12rd. 9x19 would no better then I. Makarov ammo is getting more available in some areas and you can order it on-line for around 5.00 a box. more ammo manufactures are making the makarov rd. now, so there is more to chose from.

Old December 18, 2004, 09:45 AM   #10
Antikristuseke

Horrid sights but as reliable as a sledgehammer
Old December 18, 2004, 09:54 AM   #11
Jehzsa

Only 27 parts. Including the 4 parts of the mag. It's like a 3-5 yr. old jigsaw puzzle.

Everything can be tuned with patience and not a lot of work. Parts readily available in case someone messes up. And definitely not expensive.
Old December 18, 2004, 10:03 AM   #12
alamo

Here's how to lighten the DA trigger pull on a Makarov. Most aren't too bad but some, like my unissued Bulgarian are fairly stout. My EG Mak's DA trigger pull was absolutely perfect and I used it as a guide to tune the Bulgarian's mainspring.

You just need a dremel and a grinding wheel and a bit of sandpaper to smooth it out. Re-blue it if you'd like when done. In the unlikely event you get carried away, mainsprings are cheap. It absolutely works, I've done it. Anyone can do it. Tested with 125 rounds of 2 different types of ammo, no light strikes. Haven't seen a report of anyone who has done it having light strikes either.

See the postings and pictures by "CB3":

http://www.gunboards.com/forums/topi...une,mainspring
Old December 18, 2004, 04:36 PM   #13
DT Guy

Yep, that'll work.

Those Bulgies are pretty 'oversprung' as delivered.

Larry

Government, Anarchy and Chaos
Old December 18, 2004, 10:13 PM   #14
JohnKSa
Staff

Quote:
Thanks, I should know better before posting next time
Well, in my defense, there have been at least 2 or 3 Mak related threads active in the last couple of days. But you're right, my response wasn't very nice. I was irritated about something else entirely and took it out on you.
Old December 19, 2004, 12:46 AM   #15
foogoo

JohnKSa: No worries! You did get me the info I was looking for!
Old December 19, 2004, 09:13 AM   #16
Bob F.

Sold a nice East German Mak cause I wanted something else (found a used .357 Blackhawk-very rare around here). I like the BH but kick myself for parting with an EG Mak. Super guns!!

Stay safe.
Bob

PS Check out makarov.com if it wasn't in the above links!
Old December 19, 2004, 11:13 AM   #17
old_ironsights

Why a Mak?

Makarovs are well-made handguns. "Inexpensive" doesn't always indicate "cheap." They were made for the military, by the military with little regard for anything other than absolute dependability. While the machining isn't crude, refinements are possible.

They're easily disassembled and modified to each shooter's individual needs.

Equipped with only a Dremel you can widen the rear sights, soften the trigger or smooth the action. They're the perfect weapon on which to learn basic gunsmithing skills, and if you screw the pooch, replacement parts are readily available and inexpensive. There's always someone around to advise you .

The 9x18 round was obviously powerful enough for the Russian military, and the mag capacity is sufficient, unless you're planning on getting in a running firefight.
Old December 19, 2004, 03:31 PM   #18
care-less

I have three Bulgarians. They are all absolutly reliable, adequatly powerful, and while some complain about the triggers; mine are absolutly great! Really some of the best double action triggers I have ever felt; smooth and light.
Old December 19, 2004, 03:34 PM   #19
Mister_Dinky

Great pistol at a decent price. Makes a great car gun. Some triggers are better than others but none are awful.
FWIW
YMMV
DFB
Old December 19, 2004, 05:14 PM   #20
Pharley

Maks are the bet value out there.
Solid, reliable and accurate. 100% dependable.
Makarov.com has every part needed, and they are cheap.
Ammo is dirt cheap ($6 per 50)
Buy a 19lb or 21lb recoil spring, and it shoots like a 22....it is a tame baby
I carry E.G. Mak, and the trigger pull is sooooo smooth....polish trigger up

The sights do suck, but I put fluorescent orange model paint and super glue on my front sight post, and that made the sights plenty easy to acquire. Doesn't really matter to me....if I have to use my Mak, it will be an instinctive point shoot from 30' or less.

Hope this helps....you will NOT be disappointed with a Mak.
R-
"Out of every ONE HUNDRED men, TEN should not be here, EIGHTY are nothing but targets, NINE are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they the battle make. Ah, but the ONE, ONE of them is a WARRIOR, and he will bring the others back."
Old December 19, 2004, 06:10 PM   #21
Danindetroit

I am just curious, my dad bought a .380 walther ppk/s for SD in the 60's. Looking at the ballistics for the 9x18, seems to be almost identical to the 9 kurz. Is it the pistol itself that is sought after, more than the caliber? Does it come in any other calibers? I am thinking that this could be a gun for a family member. Are the guns going to be used, or can new ones be had? It seems that from posted info, that "rebuilding a used one, would not be that hard. Thanks for the help. I am not finding much on the net besides peoples webpages of picks for the guns, I thought I could find an importer, like eaa has info on the saiga, and some vepr models a while ago. TIA

Ps I just looked in the WTS handguns forum, and saw a polish mak, it looks like a ppk\s, it says p-64, are the bulgarians, the ones to get, are some made with OEM hi-cap mags, or are the just longer aftermarket mags.
Old December 19, 2004, 06:45 PM   #22
railroader

The polish maks aren't makarovs. They are just both chambered in 9x18. Mark
Old December 19, 2004, 07:05 PM   #23
DarkKnight01

another vote for the East German Mak... great weapons.... very reasonably priced and quite nice to conceal... the draw back is the already mentioned horrible sights... im thinking the orange model paint on the front sight is a good idea... the funny part of it is my lady owns it not me... she went to a local gun shop looking for something dependable affordable and effective for home defence after her divorce... they recommended the Mak... i need to visit that store as it seems to be more the type of dealer im looking for...

versus the a$$ i bought my taurus from... he was nothing but rude and ignorant... maybe its because im a young punk that had more knowledge than he did about guns... *sigh* ill never set foot in his store again... only went thru him because he was the only taurus dealer in the area... and had him order my PT145... the guy wouldnt even throw in a 10$ cleaning kit after i spent almost 400$ in his store... rude ignorant and stupid... bad combination for a firearms dealer.

P.S. the reason i knew he wasnt so bright was due to the fact that he had 2 kel-tecs in his case, one a .32 and the other the new .380 i asked to see the .380 and fiddled with it for a moment while taking to him about how kel-tec really pulled it off with this potent little package etc. and said the only draw back is the fact that it doesnt have a slide catch... he said no it does... if you pull it back right now itll stay open... i said really? thats not what ive read and heard... i read they did it to save room which is worth the sacrifice for such a small package and relatively big round for its size... i then pulled the action back and of course it didnt stay open as i knew from looking at the gun as he handed it to me that it didnt have a slide catch... i just wanted to justify my comment... i then handed it to him and said see for yourself... he then worked the slide a few times, took the magazine out and put it back in firmly with a dumfounded look on his face... put on his spectacles and held the action open to look inside as if you really need to go that far to know there isnt one... and says nope there isnt a slide catch on it hmmmm.... i said yes... it doesnt have one, the .32 does but not the .380 he then picked up the .32 and tried it and of course it stayed open when he pulled back the slide.

reasons like this is why ill also never bring a weapon to him for repair... who knows what he will do to my gun !!
Old December 19, 2004, 08:54 PM   #24
Jehzsa

http://www.makarov.com/makfaq.html

Probably will answer most questions about the Makarov.
Old December 19, 2004, 09:24 PM   #25
Lawyer Daggit

Makarov

Never owned one, but I understand it is the Soviet response to the Walther PPC- not as sophisticated or well made as the latter, but nevertheless a very serviceable pistol.

Biggest concern is its calibre- as most western experts would rate is as very marginal for self defence- it is certainly no where near as powerful as the 9mm para.