The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old December 29, 2004, 06:08 PM   #1
NSO_w/_SIG

Taser in Action.... this is GREAT

http://www.compfused.com/directlink/532/
Old December 30, 2004, 12:08 AM   #2
mikikanazawa

LOL, the officer shoulda just tossed the guy a rock so he could hit himself in the head repeatedly.
Old December 30, 2004, 12:43 AM   #3
38splfan

That is awesome.

That is quite possibly the funniest thing I've seen all week.

That must have been some really good stuff he was on OR really bad :barf:
Old December 30, 2004, 01:40 AM   #4
Danindetroit

I saw a lot of bad things, I think the officer was lucky. I would have used that Mag-light, and maybe ended it right then. That attempt, at an arm hold, some sort of wrist lock, was pathetic. It just seemed that the officer was not even trying. It looked like a gun grab, or a knife suddenly appearing scenario waiting to happen. Technology is great, but sometimes a left or right to the proper place stops it from getting to be a wrestling match. It might be me, but LE training needs to be increased, even if it means finding a gym for them to work out at, both a weightlifting, and a boxing/martial arts facility.
Old December 30, 2004, 10:00 PM   #5
CarlosDJackal

He should have shocked him one more time or sprayed him with OC just for being a dumba** about the whole thing. It's a good thing we have in-car videos nowadays so that the agencies and Officers can better defend themselves against any subsecquent lawsuits for excessive use of force.
Old December 31, 2004, 12:10 AM   #6
Derius_T

Man, thats funny....but sad. Sad that it even came to the point of using the tazer. I believe had I been that officer, the drunk would have gotten SERIOUSLY INJURED loooong before the tazer came into play. About the exact second he started to resist......
Old January 13, 2005, 05:56 PM   #7
chris in va

I got the impression after the second shock the guy was simply saying 'no' to his tazering, not trying to resist. A couple times he said 'why are you doing this'.

After the first drop all the cop had to do was run over and handcuff the guy. Looks like he didn't want to get his 'hands dirty'.
Old January 13, 2005, 09:51 PM   #8
Cal4D4

That has got to be THE definitive taser video. Suspect not particularly sensitive to pain compliance and neither violent nor cooperative.
Old January 15, 2005, 08:18 AM   #9
abelew

A noncomliant subject that is intoxicated. What this officer did was well within the limits of use of force. The mear fact that the subject was not doing exactly what the officer was instructing is enough to warrent the action taken. Drunk subjects are difficult at best when they are like that guy. He may have been asking why, but he was still resisting. I agree that LEos need better training on physical restraint techniques, but in our lawyerized society, these are seen as too harsh by the lawyers, not the guys on street who need them. However he chose to resolve the situation, he still resolved it within the limits of his legal power to do so.
Old January 15, 2005, 10:33 AM   #10
mvpel

There's an example here of the confusing commands that can come about in stressful situations - "turn around and put your hands behind your back" while they guy was flat on his back, for instance - the drunk might have been thinking he needed to stand up, turn around, and put his hands behind his back.

Sort of like "Hands up! Get out of the car!"
1 Samuel 13:19
Old January 15, 2005, 01:31 PM   #11
Dusty Miller

In the days before tasers this guy would've gotten back into his car and the chase would've begun, ending up with God only knows what result. The drunk and everybody else is better off due to the use of the taser.
Old January 16, 2005, 11:08 PM   #12
djw6611

A police officer can't get away with punching someone in the face just because they are resisting arrest, doing so (striking to the head or neck) can be considered use of deadly force and can get them into a lot of trouble.

This officer acted exactly as he was supposed to according to his training. He began with a voice command to the subject instructing him he was under arrest. At this point the subject began to resist physically, the officer moved up to the next level of the force continuum which is soft hand. Soft hand is NOT punching or hitting the subject, it is exactly what the officer did which is simply grabbing the subject in an attempt to control them. The fact that the subject was intoxicated wouldnt help any pain-compliance techniques. The subject continued to resist and the officer responded with the use of the tazer (or pepper spray would have been appropriate as well).

Now had the tazer failed the officer would have been justified in use of hard hands or possibly his baton. The officer was correct to separate himself from the subject and go to tazer rather than wrestling with him. Thus minimizing the risk of a gun-grab or the possiblity of a stab wound had the subject presented a knife.

The force continuum is designed to minimize the risk of injury to the officer or subject, and in this case it worked very well.
Old January 18, 2005, 02:04 PM   #13
als54

Man that was funny....
Taurus PT145 Millennium PRO
Old January 19, 2005, 09:26 AM   #14
PSE

lets push some LEO buttons...
i have not bought into the whole tazer BS. i think its used to often and to quickly. when someone gets tazed and goes down striking their noggin on a bumper or curb and dies how do you call that less than lethal. hell i may have a heart condition that i dont even know about and go into arithmia (sp).
plus, if you taze one of two suspects then shoot the other for the same action the lawyers are gonna have a field day.
mark my works...
2 YEARS.
they will be gone in less than 2 years.
djw, your dept puts shock BETWEEN open and closed hand?
Old January 19, 2005, 10:22 AM   #15
NSO_w/_SIG

Lol @ Pse

Sorry, even if I mark your "works" you're gonna be wrong! The pros far out way the cons. It is the same thing if you spray a person with pepper spray and they happend to have a heart attack. Bump you noggin and die? O well, sorry 'bout your luck maybe you should have thought of that before you decided to resist.

By the way the saying goes "mark my words"

And in the use of force yes a neutralizing agent, pepper spray or taser comes before punching or hitting with a baton, followed by deadly force.

Last edited by NSO_w/_SIG; January 19, 2005 at 01:10 PM.
Old January 19, 2005, 03:34 PM   #16
Lord_Nikon

Agree with NSO_w/_SIG, but I do agree that the officer's commands became a bit unclear as the incident progressed, including telling the subject to "turn around and place your hands behind your back" when the subject was on his stomach and still tremoring. I think the officer was right to tazer the subject in the first place, but subsequent shocks were perhaps given too quickly and without clear commands.
Old January 19, 2005, 04:05 PM   #17
Danindetroit

I believe that force escalation is left up to individual departments. Not every department has tasers. Before the tasering incident began, officer too close to subject, officers feet too close together, and parallel to each other, making him an easy target for a push back wards, or a kick to the legs, that knock both feet out from under him, both his hands behind his back putting flashlight away, while right in front of drunk, who knows they are going to jail, drop flashlight, and drunk might look at it, and create opening, moves very slowly to use "soft hands" approach, gets pushed all the way off camera, into possible traffic, does not use feet during physical encounter with individual, should have disengaged quickly, after realising training and abilities were not adequate to subdue subject, possibility of drunk grabbing equipment and getting mad increases with time spent wrestling, and then tased him, and jumped on him, and cuffed him. Solution, department pays for effective training for officers, gets officers membership, at health club, to increase strength, or buys equipment, a very effective strength system can be bought for under $4,000, how much does a gadget belt cost? A hook to the hip, or short ribs, a poke to the solar plexus probably would have given a quicker officer the time needed to cuff this guy quite effectively. I guess cleaning a vehicle, or shining boots, or some other thing is more important, than getting officers home, what happens when the taser malfunctions?
Old January 19, 2005, 04:51 PM   #18
Teufelhunden

Quote:
He should have shocked him one more time or sprayed him with OC just for being a dumba** about the whole thing.
He might not have been able to . Some OC sprays are alcohol based, which means that the arcing action of the TASER can ignite the liquid, which results in a 'either-or' scenario as far as your non-lethals are concerned.

-Teuf

"One hundred rounds do not constitute firepower. One hit contitutes firepower." -Gen. Merritt Edson, USMC
Old January 19, 2005, 05:42 PM   #19
Ozzieman

I would pat the officer on the back and say "Good job sir"

To get a piece of crap like that off the road was the most important thing, and the fact that the officer handled him self in a very professional manner says a lot about him as a man.
Personaly I would have shot the SOB and hooked the tazer up to the car battery and left him there.
Old January 19, 2005, 06:43 PM   #20
NSO_w/_SIG

Dan

I am not saying that the officer used proper tactics.

Tasers and Pepper Spray fall into the same category as far as the force continuum. And I don't care what department you are at, these two weapons should be deployed before physically punching or hitting a BG with a baton or asp. It is for the safety of both the officer and the suspect. In general tasers and pepper spray neutralize people well enough for them to be subdued with relatively minor and short lasting effects. On the other hand punching or hitting with a fist or asp can cause much more long term trauma and besides that puts the officer in more danger.

Yeah it would be great if every officer was a black belt in whatever and could bench 400 lbs. That however is not realistic, how about a female officer trying to subdue a 300 lb man?

Tasers are a good tool whether or not they are always deployed at the proper time, who knows? But I know if I was a dumb drunk like this guy I would be thankful the next day that the officer tased me rather than waking up with 20 stiches in my head from getting cracked with a baton or a mag light.

"What happens when the taser malfunctions"? LOL, yeah that is a great argument, you could say that about any equipment that officers use. Guns, flashlights, cars, pepper spray ect.... all can malfunction does that mean that all those should not be used.

Yeah having fighting skills or knowing tactics to take someone down are great and LEO should most deffinetly have at the very least a basic knowledge of those skill but they should only be used as a contingency to other options.
Old January 19, 2005, 07:03 PM   #21
WaltherP22ASSN

I agree

Getting those worthless drunks off the road should be priority one. I am an EMT and I see these situations all the time. When a person drinks too much alcohol the reasoning part of the brain is shut off by the ethanol thus the person could become violent and all sorts of problems could occur. I am displeased with the actions of some police officers but I think this guy did the right thing. He was alone looks like on a back country highway, so taking control of the situation is for his safety.

Walther-P22-Assn.
*Walther P22
*Bersa .380
Old January 19, 2005, 07:32 PM   #22
Conservadude

Lightweights

For you guys making excuses for the drunk, saying that he might have been saying 'no' to the wrong thing like 'no more taser', or thinking he was shot with the taser too soon or too many times, I say bull butter! With due respect to Roy D Mercer of course. That perp decided to ignore commands and leave the scene with every chance he got. Every chance, no exceptions. Whenever he recovered enough to move, he got up to continue his beligerent "no way will I cooperate!" attitude. Nope, the taser wasn't wrong, wasn't too soon, and neither were there too many shots fired. He's lucky he didn't get an accidental boot in the face and a big Maglite over the noggin after the first taser shot or two.

I have other questions though. ...Where was LEO#2? Why was this officer doing a one-handed waltz with the guy instead of taking better control of the situation right from the start? LEO#1 (assuming there was a #2) had no backbone and sure as hell didn't know anything about physically apprehending a perp. And he wasn't a good dancer either. He should be embarrassed, thank God the guy was in a stupor, and go back to training for a long time. Whoever said it looked like a gun grab or knife assault begging to happen was right on. The LEO was lucky that he had a drunk on his hands, not some meth phreak or crack head.

Brian
Old January 19, 2005, 09:05 PM   #23
Lord_Nikon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conservadude
Whenever he recovered enough to move, he got up to continue his beligerent "no way will I cooperate!"
Or he got up to "Turn around and place your hands behind your back!"
Old January 19, 2005, 09:45 PM   #24
PinnedAndRecessed

Quote:
I got the impression after the second shock the guy was simply saying 'no' to his tazering, not trying to resist
He was resisting from start to finish. Not complying with the officer's demands. Once he was placed under arrest, he has to comply.

The officer was right on all the way. Showed amazing restraint.
Old January 19, 2005, 09:49 PM   #25
Lord_Nikon

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinnedAndRecessed
He was resisting from start to finish. Not complying with the officer's demands. Once he was placed under arrest, he has to comply.
Or he was saying "No!' to the "You'll get it again!" while doing his best to comply with the officer's confusing demands. "Turn around!" is the kind of thing that you do when you're standing, as opposed to "Roll over!"