The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Lock and Load: Live Fire Exercises

Old January 11, 2005, 02:19 AM   #1
wacki

What are some fun things to shoot?

Right now I know melons, paint cans full of water, and apples. Anything else fun to shoot that won't break the bank?
Old January 11, 2005, 03:20 PM   #2
WhiskeyMike

We sometimes by a case of Clay/Skeet from WalMart. You get about 90 of them for 4 bucks. At 30+ yards with a pistol is kind of fun. You can make up little competitions with them and its cheap!

Charcoal briquettes works too, its just smaller.

I have also seen an older fellow teaching his grandkids to shoot a .22 using animal crackers at 25 yards.
Old January 11, 2005, 03:41 PM   #3
Brian Williams

Eggs, ice cubes, AOL CD roms,
Old January 11, 2005, 08:44 PM   #4
ksstargazer

targets

My favorite are hedge apples (free), yellow cucumbers (nearly free) and clay pidgeons (about $4.00 for 90).
Old January 12, 2005, 09:26 AM   #5
357MagFan

Liberals are quite fun to shoot

Just kidding...
Old January 13, 2005, 03:05 AM   #6
ManChicken

If you bought any of that horrible Holiday Spice Pepsi (I think thats what it was called), shake it up real good and give it what it deserves.
Old January 13, 2005, 12:52 PM   #7
too many choices!?

Really dumb question.....

Those that shoot clay pidgeons how long before they disappear? Do they just dissolve if it rains? They sound like a nice cheap reactive rifle target for 100yds. Even i can see orange but i don't wanna have a large mess to pick up. Biodegradable targets rock!
Old January 13, 2005, 05:39 PM   #8
shaggy

If you've got the coin and a far out place to do it, Tannerite is the ticket. $100 gets you a case of 20 charges.

Don't do it anywhere near people or homes though. You should have at least a 100yard distance between the target and any people or structures. Its dangerous stuff, but very impressive. Like a stick of dynamite. As with any explosive device, be very careful and follow the direction on the package.
Old January 14, 2005, 05:03 PM   #9
Smokey Joe

Clay pigeon targets--Problem!

Re. Clay Pigeon targets, NO THEY DO NOT DISAPPEAR!! A trip to any trap range and a glance downrange will convince you of that. The broken pieces can cut bare feet if they are left in an area where (for example) little kids might be playing. And it says on the clay pigeon boxes not to use them where hogs feed, as the pitch used in making the clay birds is toxic to hogs.

Having said all that, in a place where the broken pieces will endager no hogs or kids, and where they will not be regarded as unsightly, I agree they sure are fun to bash!

--Smokey Joe

Last edited by Smokey Joe; January 14, 2005 at 05:04 PM. Reason: Had another thought
Old January 14, 2005, 05:27 PM   #10
bill k

If your range allows it and you like medium or long distance shooting, make a gong. Mine is 9" around 2 inches thick, weighs about 50 lbs though. I take it to the 400 and 500 yard makers which is the limit at my range. What I like is knowing right then if you hit it. You hear the bong a second or two after you shoot. At the end of my shoot I re-paint the gong so I can judge my pattern the next trip.
Old January 16, 2005, 10:11 PM   #11
wacki

Quote:
Re. Clay Pigeon targets, NO THEY DO NOT DISAPPEAR!!
I talked to the guy at my local trap/skeet range, he says they do disappear. They have been there for 40 years and have never picked up the clays.
Old January 17, 2005, 12:30 AM   #12
Smokey Joe

Don't disappear, hmmmm...

Far be it from me to argue with 40 yrs. experience. However, at every trap/skeet range I've ever visited, there are thousands of bashed clay birds to be seen, lying downrange.

If they do disappear, it can't be all that quickly.

How/where do they go? Are clay birds water-soluble, or what? I admit I've never examined them more than superficially as I put them onto the target thrower. They seem to be some sort of formed, heated substance, sort of glassy-looking on the bottom. And it says on the box that they contain pitch, which I'm certain isn't water-soluble--it used to be used to seal the seams of wooden boats and ships, during the 1700's and 1800's.

I'm not arguing, just curious.

--Smokey Joe
Old January 17, 2005, 12:40 AM   #13
GodblessAmerica

If you have a large, safe area to shoot, fill some plastic milk jugs with water or water and food coloring. We used to shoot them from 75 - 100 yards with .308's and larger calibers. They will literally jump up in the air about 4 feet and pretty much explode as the bullet exits . I suspect they will also do this at closer range with handguns, or at least spray the water everywhere.
Old January 17, 2005, 03:37 AM   #14
BillCA

Golf balls make fun targets... get a bucket old ones from a driving range for $5.
Old January 17, 2005, 03:44 AM   #15
gudel

i found that pony kegs are quite fun to shoot. it makes that loud pang.
Old January 17, 2005, 04:08 AM   #16
osirus101

Bowling pins are lots of fun, Pumpkins are fun, and like listed about You cant beat tannerite The exploding targets super nice
Old January 17, 2005, 09:02 AM   #17
1BadF350

Fire extinguishers. We had a bunch of old ABC's at work that were no longer serviceable but still charged. Set them up at 100 yards and aim a little low of center. Talk about great visual effects.
Old January 17, 2005, 09:22 AM   #18
too many choices!?

Will someone soak a clay pigeon over night?

And let us know what happens .....Or is there already a definitive answer? Whatever they seal/color them with migth be water proof...
Old January 19, 2005, 05:38 AM   #19
wacki

clay pigeon now soaking........
Old January 19, 2005, 05:49 AM   #20
wacki

They are biodegradable...

http://www.biotarget.com/
Old January 19, 2005, 12:55 PM   #21
Smokey Joe

Biodeg. yes & no

Well, White Flyer Bio's are obviously biodegradable, that's how they're advertised. That would tend to indicate that the "traditional" clay bird is "non-bio" by comparison.

Have had a couple soaking 24 hr. Neither a Remington Blue Rock, broken or unbroken, nor a Sporting Clays White Flyer (badly chipped, so I deemed it served both ways) showed the slightest sign of decomposition of any sort from the immersion.

My conclusion: Don't throw/shoot clay birds where you don't want the pieces to remain, for a considerable period, unless you are using the "bio" type. And don't use 'em where hogs feed, as per instructions on the box. Maybe they do disappear into the soil given enough time, but in the meantime they are an unsightly mess, with sharp edges to boot.

Having said all that, I have to add, They sure are fun to shoot!

--Smokey Joe
Old January 19, 2005, 05:21 PM   #22
Nnobby45

I always considered blowing up Buckhorn Beer rather enjoyable. Yes always picked up the cans---those I could find.
Old January 19, 2005, 09:55 PM   #23
wacki

Quote:
If your range allows it and you like medium or long distance shooting, make a gong. Mine is 9" around 2 inches thick, weighs about 50 lbs though. I take it to the 400 and 500 yard makers which is the limit at my range. What I like is knowing right then if you hit it. You hear the bong a second or two after you shoot. At the end of my shoot I re-paint the gong so I can judge my pattern the next trip.
Excellent idea! 2 inches thick though???? Where did you find steel plate that thick? Anyone know where I can buy a gong to shoot?
Old January 20, 2005, 09:31 PM   #24
hawken50

i wouldn't recommend this

but when i was a teenager i used to shoot paper cups filled with gasoline and lit on fire at night with a 22 at about 50 yrds. it lights up the night, let me tell you. i was smart enough to only do this in the winter with about a foot of snow on the ground
Old January 21, 2005, 12:19 AM   #25
too many choices!?

thanx for the imfo guys...

My pigeon pistol range will have to wait and cans will have to suffice..... (atleast until I can try my hand at those bowling pins I hear so much about

PS Now that I think about it I bet most clay pigeons go through some kind of firing process like pottery.....I will have to look that up though