The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old January 11, 2005, 10:14 PM   #1
keko

Need some diagnostic help...

I am shooting low and to the left. This is with a bunch of different pistols in a bunch of different calibers. So, it is me, not the guns.

I can reliably hit a BG in the liver every time...LOL.

I shoot right handed (with both hands), triangle stance, both eyes open.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks, Keko
Old January 11, 2005, 10:25 PM   #2
JohnKSa
Staff

Take some snap caps to the range and intersperse them in the mags with the other rounds. Watch what happens when one comes up...
Old January 11, 2005, 11:12 PM   #3
Sir William

I agree. It will surprise you. The other thought is, does the firearm suit/fit you? Some items can be replaced/modified to adjust for your grip. Take a friend and have them watch your positioning/grip.
Old January 11, 2005, 11:21 PM   #4
smokin54

Take a look at this ,for a right hand shooter . a left hand shooter just uses it backwards . It may also help to keep the right hand thumb high and be sure to use only the end pad of the trigger finger , If you are back at the knuckle then you are using to much finger

http://www.sportshooter.com/improvin...tion_chart.gif
Old January 12, 2005, 04:40 AM   #5
Blue Heeler

Are you shooting an autoloader or a revolver? It appears to be a trigger control problem and perhaps some flinch - need more info.
Old January 12, 2005, 03:09 PM   #6
Guy B. Meredith

For a right handed shooter, shooting at 7:00 usually indicates recoil anticipation.

As mentioned above the best diagnostic tool is to load in some dummy rounds in such a way that you will not know when they are in the chamber. Keeping your eye firmly on the front sight as you should be, see whether you maintain that image when pulling the trigger on the dummy or not. This works best with a revolver and is VERY instructive.
Old January 12, 2005, 06:27 PM   #7
Cazach

The finger!

Also make sure that you are only using the tip of your finger on the trigger. You should contact the trigger with the pad of your finger and not the first joint.

Dry fire and snap caps will also help to check for a "Flinch".
Old January 12, 2005, 07:09 PM   #8
rkc

There is a time honored training diagram that illustrates bullet placement and the problems to correct jerked triggers, etc. We all do it and I do it sometimes. Correct measures are indicated. Do a search for Nine Dog targets, they offer targerts with the proper diagram that makes for an excellent training aid. If you cant find Nine Dog let me know I may have some.

basically draw a target. Dead center, ok, and teh target is cut into sections showing likely problems.
Old January 12, 2005, 07:45 PM   #9
keko

Thank

you all
Old January 12, 2005, 09:10 PM   #10
James K
Member In Memoriam

FWIW, I have been told that a liver hit is about the most painful and instantly disabling injury that can be inflicted.

Jim
Old January 12, 2005, 09:30 PM   #11
osirus101

if you are flinching obviously the best thing for you to do would be to teach yourself not to. If you absolutely cant keep from doing it and your very persistant then adjust the sights to make it hit the middle. (wouldnt suggest it unless all other options fail)
Old January 13, 2005, 04:47 AM   #12
LAK

What JohnKSa said.

And have someone else load the snapcaps for you. Tell them to make sure that the snapcaps are not one of the first few of rounds, and better if they are an experienced shooter or instructor as they will be better prepared to analyse your muzzle behavior when it goes "click".

What Jim Keenan said.

Hmmm, second thoughts, forget the snap caps and leave things just as they are
Old January 15, 2005, 12:26 PM   #13
Para Bellum

easy steady pressure increase

I just had the same problem eliminated by a law enforcement instructor. He made me:

1. Focus the sight, not the target

3. the trigger hand does not hold the gun. the "weak hand" does.

2. steadly and slowly increase the pressure on the trigger until the gun fires "unexpectedly"

Speed on step 2. comes with practice. I now shoot 4cm (<2") groups at 10m (31ft). Sometimes there is one hole for two shots now....

Stay safe and enjoy the improvement. It gave me a real "high"!
Old February 7, 2005, 04:29 PM   #14
ethernectar

Thanks, have been looking for that chart, may switch it around for lefties and repost it...

m
Old February 8, 2005, 10:23 AM   #15
Goman

Should also close weak eye.
Old February 8, 2005, 05:15 PM   #16
keko

Goman...

you may be on to something...I am right eye dominant and right handed BUT my right eye isn't perfect...my left eye is perfect. I may be switching my eyes subconciously when I try to aim...left eye distance and right close-up. That sure would screw things up.

Besides, it is a more "manly" excuse than anticipating recoil...LOL.

BTW, I recently posted on the revolver forum that I have discovered that I am far more accurate with a revolver than a semi-auto. I have no idea why? I learned to shoot with a revolver way back when, maybe that is why.

My 20 year old son is kicking my butt at the range on a regular basis.