The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old January 12, 2005, 01:48 PM   #1
Steamboatsig

Anybody ever have an Accidental Discharge?

I know it is rare and if all safety measures are followed should not happen, but has anyone out there ever made a mistake?

Last edited by Steamboatsig; January 12, 2005 at 04:37 PM.
Old January 12, 2005, 01:55 PM   #2
gunrunner

if you do a seach here you will see this topic addressed before, if you handle enough guns in your life you will make a mistake. if you are very careful and cautious it will always be minor with only your pride hurt not yourself or someone else. always remember "the guns is always loaded. "

Old January 12, 2005, 02:01 PM   #3
Shorts

Everybody has made a mistake at one point or another in their gun-lovin' life. If they say they haven't, I'd still give them a funny look

With that said, I had an AD at the range couple weeks ago. I was manually decocking my pistol to shoot in DA and I didn't release the trigger after I released the hammer so the trigger block didn't engage. I also didn't have enough meat in front of the hammer and it slipped out from under my thumb and POP! Anyway, I got a three-dot sight pattern stamped into my thumb and some blood on various things as a reminder.
Old January 12, 2005, 02:14 PM   #4
SONICMASD

oww, i think thats one of the reasons i prefer hamerless guns in DAO.
Old January 12, 2005, 02:20 PM   #5
XavierBreath

So far, I have never had an negligent discharge. I did have an accidental discharge once, a slamfire on a SAR1. Likely cause was a poorly seated primer. Thankfully, I have good muzzle discipline.
Old January 12, 2005, 02:39 PM   #6
Blind Tree Frog

I've fired off shots by accident when i wasn't ready because i was holding my finger on the trigger while lining up, but that's the worst that has happened so far (knock on wood)
Old January 12, 2005, 03:04 PM   #7
WillBrayjr

Just one I think. I was shooting my grandfather's S&W M10-5 that had been rebuilt and a trigger job. I thumb cocked it had the sights lined up on the target, put my finger on the trigger and thought about it going off and it did. The M10-5 indeed had a hair trigger on single action.
Old January 12, 2005, 03:11 PM   #8
2002gti

i have, loaded up my ruger p90 cycled one in the chamber and tried to decock it maually. almost shot my toe off. the key is you have to learn from the mistake, if your still around that is.
Old January 12, 2005, 03:21 PM   #9
fanoblack

Once with my 1911. I had just gotten done with cleaning it and had dry fired it a couple of times, I had just replaced the trigger and it felt a bit funny. Well, my fault was I put a full mag back into the gun and started to watch TV. Then at a commercial I thought I better get used to that trigger and racked the slide and *BANG*. I had forgotten about the mag being in it. I know that was a very stupid mistake, but I have learned from it and I KNOW better now. One of those times that pride was the only victim, luckily.

fanoblack
Old January 12, 2005, 03:22 PM   #10
2002gti

at least you werent aiming at the tv
Old January 12, 2005, 03:23 PM   #11
InToItTRX
Registration in progress

Nothing yet, I don't see how it can happen if you pay attention, and follow all the general handgun safety rules.
Old January 12, 2005, 03:29 PM   #12
Steamboatsig

Ok, here is why I asked. Last night I received my new Don's Guide Rod and Wolf recoil spring for my XD-9. I was so excited to install it I forgot that I had a full magazine of Hydra-Shock JHP loaded into the weapon (chamber was empty). I locked the slide, flipped up the take down lever, released the slide, and pulled the trigger. BANG. I put a hole through my refrigerator. It made me so damn mad that I was negligent and so stupid to forget to treat all guns as if they were loaded. I keep thinking how lucky I am that I didn't kill someone or myself. I am still angry with myself, but I know that I am going to learn from this. Thanks for replying to my question.

Last edited by Steamboatsig; January 12, 2005 at 04:41 PM.
Old January 12, 2005, 03:32 PM   #13
U.F.O.

What was your ammo and what sort of fridge penetration did you get?

Oh. Just re-read the post and caught the ammo.

U.F.O.
The low spark of high-heeled boys"
~Traffic - Stevie Winwood~
Old January 12, 2005, 03:41 PM   #14
Steamboatsig

I had pieces of copper and lead inside the refrigerator. It shattered the glass shelf on the lower part of the fridge. The copper jacket seperated into two pieces and the lead seperated into one big mass. I looked like it lost much of its mass.

I tried eating a piece of pizza, but it had glass and pieces of copper on it, so I threw it away.

Now I have to repace my refrigerator door because it has a nice hole in it.
Old January 12, 2005, 03:47 PM   #15
Baxter

I thought that's what fridge magnets were for..
Old January 12, 2005, 03:54 PM   #16
Steamboatsig

I put a sticker over the hole, but it is fairly obvious. The refrigerator belongs to the building owner who is also my best friend. If he knew that I had loaded guns in the place he might freak. Anyway, it is only $150 to replace the door and shelf. I just have to special order the parts. I figure it is a good punishment for me and will help me learn from my mistake.
Old January 12, 2005, 04:20 PM   #17
InToItTRX
Registration in progress

I always thought taking down an XD was kind of hard, you should never have to pull the trigger to take down a gun IMO. I also don't like how you have to hold the grip guard, and pull the lever up, it makes it kind of hard.
Old January 12, 2005, 04:32 PM   #18
2002gti

wow, glad to hear everything is ok except for the fridge.
Old January 12, 2005, 05:08 PM   #19
fanoblack

No, but I but a half dollar sized dent in a cinder block wall. Need to paint that before we move.

Yes, glad to hear the fridge is the only casualty.
Old January 12, 2005, 05:15 PM   #20
2002gti

glad to hear your tv is ok
Old January 12, 2005, 05:47 PM   #21
Northslope Nimrod

1. Hunting pheasants...bird flies up....suprises me and I put finger in trigger housing and pull trigger before gun raised to shoulder.
2. Shooting in competition....I fire a round prior to "intending to fire"...but gun still pointed at target area.

In both scenarios....the weapon was pointed in safe direction. Rule: Never cover with your muzzle that which you do not wish to kill or destoy.
Old January 12, 2005, 06:05 PM   #22
bill k

It happened today at the range. I'd never shot black powder before so my hunting partner brought his rifle. He walked me through the loading process and I got to the firing line. With the barrel pointing down range I started to pull the hammer back, it slipped and kaboom.
Red faced, I mentioned I at least followed proper range safety procedures by having the barrel pointed down range.
Asked if I wanted to buy a black powder rifle now, no thanks, I'll stick to modern fireaarms, thank you very much.
Old January 12, 2005, 07:08 PM   #23
Tom2

Ruger 22

Once a LONG time ago at an indoor range, I was shooting a Ruger Mk II and was intensely concentrating on the target, thought I had counted 10 shots, raised the muzzle slightly and shot a hole in the ceiling. No one else noticed, I noticed other holes in ceiling, so learned from it and said nothing! Being a 22 it might have only gone thru the ceiling tile and not the roof. More(years ago) recently was testing a crummy sheet metal MAC 9MM. Not real impressed. Firing commercial ammo was OK. For some reason it had a problem with mil. ball and somehow fired a short burst of several rounds, which suprised me. No one else at the range, thank goodness. Sold it back to the original owner and never fired it after that.
Old January 12, 2005, 07:17 PM   #24
rkc

NOt have I but how many!
Old January 12, 2005, 07:24 PM   #25
keens

Yes, one negligent one...doing a slide check on my 1911 with finger on trigger (gun was pointed downrange and I was alone) burned my left palm slightly and scared the negligence out of me. 20 years ago and still remember like it was yesterday. Thank God for His grace.