The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old January 25, 2005, 06:29 PM   #1
BoWin123

How do YOU put the C in CCW? Ummm...I mean the first C.

I was just wondering how most people conceal their CCW. What types of holsters? Where do you position it? Do you plan your wardrobe around what gun you'll be carrying? Do you ever wear a T-shirt and jeans or is that out of the picture? Do you hide it with a jacket?

I'm sure there are many different methods with all of the members here. How do you guys (and gals) make sure that your gun is concealed at all times?
Old January 25, 2005, 08:23 PM   #2
dairycreek

Start out with the old axiom - Concealed means Concealed!

It is the obligation of the one who carries concealed to do whatever it takes to carry concealed at all times. That means that the carrier must make whatever adjustment in clothing, mode of carry, etc. is necessary to carry fully concealed at a particular place, time, or situation.

Quote:
How do you guys (and gals) make sure that your gun is concealed at all times?
For me, that means carrying IWB in a good holster designed for my gun and using a belt designed for carrying a weapon's weight. I often wear my shirts untucked, or light vests over t-shirts, or even a sportcoat to cover the gun. In short, I do whatever is necessary.

GOOD SHOOTING
Old January 25, 2005, 08:53 PM   #3
Japle

I favor untucked Aloha shirts over a light tank top. The big, splashy prints do a good job of breaking up the shape of your gun.
IWB is best, but I usually use a Fobus paddle holster.
IMPORTANT:
Nobody's looking for guns.
When you first start packing, it will seem to you that your gun is obvious, but it's very unlikely that anyone will ever notice. People just don't pay attention.
In the store, always reach for stuff with your weak hand.
Always carry stuff in your weak hand.
Don't let your shirt or jacket blow open in the wind.
If anyone ever does ask you what that thing is under your shirt, the correct answer is, "It's my colostomy bag. Wanna see"?

John
Cape Canaveral
Old January 25, 2005, 10:53 PM   #4
Sir William

John, I like that! LOL I wear good clothes in dark colours for winter. Summer is usually cargo shorts, mesh Ts and a golf vest in a larger than my size fit. I have CCWd, BHPs, 1911s and 4" M65s in that style. The only time I have been made is a woman hugged me. She just said that was where her son carried his S&W too and smiled.
Old January 25, 2005, 11:54 PM   #5
PaleGreenHorse

I wear jeans and t-shirts all the time when I carry, rarely white tees because in Vegas you get yellow pits quick, ewwww. Its not difficult to conceal because unless you are looking for it and know what it looks like a small lump is disregarded at a glance 95% of the time.
Bulgarian Makarov, CZ-52
CZ-70, Polish P-64
Old January 26, 2005, 12:15 AM   #6
Derius_T

In the colder months I wear a horizontal shoulder rig exclusively. I really
haven't decided what my summer mode of carry will be, but I am definately a
jean and t-shirt guy. I don't think a IWB holster would work good for me, as
I have recently gotten a little....er....large around the waistband....

So I myself am still open to options for 'bersa thunder .45 size' weapons in
summer.
Old January 26, 2005, 01:15 AM   #7
Hogleg

On the few days it is cold here, I use a paddle holster with a leather jacket. On warm days I just tuck it in my waist.
Old January 27, 2005, 06:16 PM   #8
cyf7tkwl

I carry a Glock 21, in C-TAC IWB at 9:00 (lefthanded). I can wear anything in my wardrobe---when I started carrying I went 1 inch bigger on waist size and bought a big leather belt, but made no other changes. Shirt tails always hanging out, it's always totally out of sight and usually no bulge. Squat rather than bend at the waist.
Old January 27, 2005, 07:37 PM   #9
XavierBreath

I commonly carry one of three ways.

A pocket holster with a J frame. This takes khakis or shorts.
A 1911 with a belt clip IWB. I need a light jacket or sports coat.
SmartCarry when nothing else works. I need pants.
Old January 27, 2005, 07:57 PM   #10
WaltherP22ASSN

I usual don't sweat it. If someome catches an eye of my gun oh well....of course I also don't live in a large city.

Walther-P22-Assn.
*Walther P22
*Bersa .380
Old January 28, 2005, 02:06 AM   #11
Jeff22

I have an assortment of little guns and a wide assortment of holsters for them, and a variety of concealment garments to choose from.

I prefer a real holster on my body as opposed to one of those stupid fanny packs. A real holster is more secure and concealable. Many of those gun bags don't have a particularly secure buckle and can easily be taken away from you, or the buckle can come unhooked by itself.

If you carry an inside the waistband holster, remember to buy your pants and belt a couple inches bigger to accomdate the extra width. I'm 6 ft 4 and 250 lbs (and probably 15 or 20 lbs more than I ought to be), so I seldom use IWB carry except for a Kahr P9, Sig 230 or Walther PPK that fit in my Milt Sparks Summer Special. (Those guns have thin and tapered slides and that works pretty well). I also have a DeSantis IWB holster one of my buddies just gave me that fits the P9 but I've only carried it a couple of times that way.

I also find horizontal shoulder rigs to be comfortable and have a whole bunch of them. Usually I carry in a "pancake" style holster on my strong side hip. Some of the Kydex rigs made for concealment also work really well.

Make sure your concealment garments work with whatever combination you select. If you are going to wear a vest with a conventional hip holster, make sure the vest is cut low enough to cover the holster. If you are going to wear a shoulder rig with a vest, make sure that the arm holes are cut tight so that your gun or rig won't be exposed.

I personally really like the "photo-journalist" type vests for casual wear, but it depends upon where you live and the environment.

Just remember that the little gun you have with you is better than the big gun you left at home because it was uncomfortable to carry or because you couldn't figure out how to hide it properly.
Old January 28, 2005, 03:51 AM   #12
txinvestigator

I carry a full-size 1911 all of the time. In the summer here in Dallas it routinely gets over 100 degrees. I wear shorts, a colored t-shirt and a button down shirt with a straight bottom. The T is tucked in, the outer shirt open. If it is really windy I cam button the bottom button to keep from exposing the weapon in my strong side, IWB holster.

Or sometimes I just wear a 5.11 vest rather than the outer shirt.
Old January 28, 2005, 09:27 AM   #13
BigG

Anytime I see a vest I think "gun."
o "The Earth is degenerating today. Bribery and corruption abound. Children no longer obey their parents, every man wants to write a book, and it is evident that the end of the world is fast approaching." Assyrian tablet, c. 2800 BC

o "In the beginning of a change, the patriot is a scarce man brave, hated, and scorned. When his cause succeeds, however, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain

o "They have gun control in Cuba. They have universal health care in Cuba. So why do they want to come here?" Paul Harvey

o TODAY WE CARVE OUT OUR OWN OMENS! Leonidas, Thermopylae, 480 BC
Old January 28, 2005, 10:11 AM   #14
XavierBreath

Quote:
Anytime I see a vest I think "gun."
Agreed, otherwise why wear a vest? It serves little purpose other than concealment. Anytime I see an open & untucked shirt I think gun, same reason.

I prefer to go with a selection of windbreakers and in the summer find another method.
Old January 28, 2005, 10:44 AM   #15
BigG

Vest

Well, you could also think "little to no fashion sense" and not be wrong. :neener:
o "The Earth is degenerating today. Bribery and corruption abound. Children no longer obey their parents, every man wants to write a book, and it is evident that the end of the world is fast approaching." Assyrian tablet, c. 2800 BC

o "In the beginning of a change, the patriot is a scarce man brave, hated, and scorned. When his cause succeeds, however, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain

o "They have gun control in Cuba. They have universal health care in Cuba. So why do they want to come here?" Paul Harvey

o TODAY WE CARVE OUT OUR OWN OMENS! Leonidas, Thermopylae, 480 BC
Old January 28, 2005, 10:54 AM   #16
Biker Preacher

Since I am 6'5" and heavier than I should be, I often wear bib overalls in the summer because they are more comfortable in our hot climate. I use two methods, springfield xd sub compact in the front pocket, or either a dayplanner looking holster or fanny pack. While the fanny pack is somewhat obvious, the day planner seldom gets a second look. I fact I went into a friends gun shop with it the other day, and he honestly thought it was a planner. As previously noted the key is concealed means concealed.
Old January 28, 2005, 03:06 PM   #17
too many choices!?

concealed carry

Glock 23 .40sw in Fobus holster on the right side with longer Polo type shirts(you know the 3 button collared shirts, the longer the better) or with a wind breaker over the top.....cocked and locked rocks on glocks (locked into the holster that is)At Night or whenever I can get away with it I carry the Glock for the longer barrel/better accuracy and Hello its a Glock!

Taurus PT-145Millinium .45 auto gets carried either IWB or on the right hip IWB(if its hot out then this is the way I go) A longer than average t-shirt will conceal everything quite well....

Vest/fanny packs were early 90s way of concealing. Now a good couple of wind breakers is not going to draw too much attention.
PS Black helps to hide lines
Old January 28, 2005, 03:09 PM   #18
too many choices!?

Forgot to say that yes I have my license.....

Only legal concealed carry for me
Old January 28, 2005, 04:49 PM   #19
Shamus

Two methods of carry and both with a G26. My typical dress is jeans and a t-shirt in summer and a collared shirt with the tail out in winter. I use a pocket holster in my left front cross draw right hand.
If I need to tuck my shirt in I use a belly band holster positioned at 10 o'clock with the G26.
I could carry the 1911 in the same holsters but the Glock is small enough that I never have to be concerned about printing. The smaller butt makes all the difference.
Old January 28, 2005, 06:50 PM   #20
abelew

I dont really ccw right now, but I am going to be in the near furture, BUT, you have to remember, no hand cannons, and carry something decent (of size, caliber, and MAKE). Get a GOOD holster for it, and buy your clothes to carry, not buy your carry to fit your clothes. With IWB, you need larger pants, a good belt, etc.
Old January 28, 2005, 07:08 PM   #21
Dwight55

I, like most others who carry often, have several holsters: IWB, OWB, shoulder, . . . whatever. You will too, . . . and you will begin to favor one over another for one reason or another. Find what works for you, . . . and use it.

Again, let me say what has been said several times before, . . . concealed means concealed. Hide that thing so it won't be detected.

Regardless of the means though, . . . double check yourself before you leave. I have a primp mirror I peek in before ever leaving, . . . did I do it right?

May God bless,
Dwight
If you are reading this in English, . . . thank a Veteran!
Old January 28, 2005, 08:29 PM   #22
Puppy

I usually wear a Colt Combat Commander, in a Ross Leather M7 OWB holster.

I normally wear blue jeans & untucked t-shirts, very few people have ever noticed I am carrying.

I am not one of those who believe that concealed means; shoved into a body cavity to avoid detection.

I believe concealed means; covered up, so as not to upset the "sheeple".
Old January 28, 2005, 09:05 PM   #23
Joe W

Ccw

Havn't heard anyone mention an ankle holster. I carried a Glock 17 on duty and off duty, a Colt Cobra in an ankle holster, especially in the summer. In winter when it was much easy to ccw I used other holsters & IWB.
I know the ankle holster is not the fastest but it's easy to sneak out. Like make believe you are fainting or something and slip it out on the way down. Just kidding, but where there is a will there's a way.
Old January 28, 2005, 09:25 PM   #24
tlm225

I alternate between a G23 and G27 when off-duty. Use a variety of methods depending on climate and occasion.
-Galco royal guard IWB under short jacket or untucked shirt
-Don Hume belt slide under med jacket or photographers style vest
-Galco jackass horizontal shoulder rig under jacket on occasion
-Brown leather fanny pack when I'm in tourist mode
And on rare occasions a Kel-Tec P-32 in a Desantis pocket holster (although I don't really feel armed then)
Old January 28, 2005, 09:37 PM   #25
Redwood

I usually dress somewhat upscale. (Chinos, LL Bean style clothing). I prefer a Galco Concelable holster (with Galco belt) & a fleece vest over that (New England). If is too hot for a vest a Galco ankle rig.
Gonic, NH