The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old January 26, 2005, 08:27 PM   #1
AttackTurtle

Have you ever carried where you shouldn't?

Ill be getting my ccw permit soon and in FL, there are many places I wont be able to carry. Some are obvious like schools and police stations. Others are more cryptic or inconvenient. I think liquor stores are included in the inconveniant. I personally understand why you woundnt carry at a bar but liquor stores are what I consider one of the more dangerous places I go. How many people here have carried where they shouldnt and what is your reasoning?

RULE II: NEVER LET THE MUZZLE COVER ANYTHING YOU ARE NOT WILLING TO DESTROY

RULE III: KEEP YOUR FINGER OFF THE TRIGGER UNTIL YOUR SIGHTS ARE ON THE TARGET

RULE IV: BE SURE OF YOUR TARGET
Old January 26, 2005, 10:01 PM   #2
Dwight55

I walked into my barber shop (after they posted, . . . and I didn't see it) and this is my only experience with your question.

In Ohio, . . . it is a serious offence to do this, . . . therefore, I just steer clear of those places. I can keep my CCW license without going in their establishments, . . . but if caught in one of them, . . . I might lose my CCW. It is just not worth it to me.

Yes, . . . I have a new barber.

May God bless,
Dwight
If you are reading this in English, . . . thank a Veteran!
Old January 26, 2005, 10:54 PM   #3
AttackTurtle

Has anybody carried in a national forest when your not supposed to?

Old January 27, 2005, 05:33 AM   #4
Marko Kloos

From experience, I can tell you that the "no CCW in places that serve liquor" offense is probably the most common misdemeanor among TN CCW holders.

the munchkin wrangler.
Old January 27, 2005, 09:42 AM   #5
moonstone

"From experience, I can tell you that the "no CCW in places that serve liquor" offense is probably the most common misdemeanor among TN CCW holders."

I'm also in east TN, what are the consequences of this?

Last edited by moonstone; January 27, 2005 at 11:47 AM.
Old January 27, 2005, 01:17 PM   #6
woodland

Last edited by woodland; January 27, 2005 at 05:29 PM.
Old January 27, 2005, 01:43 PM   #7
Erich

U.S. Const., Amend. V: "No person shall . . . be compelled in any criminal case to be a witness against himself . . . ."

Perhaps folks might reflect on the wisdom of this language before they post on threads such as this one.
Old January 27, 2005, 01:46 PM   #8
FirstFreedom

Well, in my state, if you carry in a private property place that is posted, such as a bank, restaurant, whathaveyou, then ONLY thing they can do is ask you to leave (ceast and desist trespassing), and that gives you an opportunity to in fact leave, before one's liability for trespassing kicks in. So I regularly do that, and see no reason to do otherwise. But of course, one would be wise to remain perfectly concealed if following such a course of action.

OTOH, places *specifically* prohibited by the CCW law, like government buildings, public sporting events, bars and the bar areas of restaurants, schools, etc.....no, I do NOT carry there...too much to risk. I just avoid them if I can. Unfortunately, I cannot avoid them all, since the courthouse is one place I'm required to go regularly in my job. So I am disarmed by the (unconstitutional) law several times a week.

As for the post office, yes I have carried in there once when I was literally going to be inside just 2 seconds or so, just to drop off letters into the slot, then immediately leave. But I shouldn't have done this even, won't do it again, and I think that one should definitely avoid this practice...my guess is the federalis would fry you pretty badly.
Old January 27, 2005, 06:18 PM   #9
cyf7tkwl

Have you ever carried where you shouldn't?

No.
Old January 27, 2005, 06:55 PM   #10
Bullrock

Not that I'm aware of
Old January 27, 2005, 11:13 PM   #11
mmike87

I thought you COULD carry in a National Forest, just not a National Park. There IS a significant difference between the two.
Rock River M4gery
Old January 28, 2005, 08:32 AM   #12
Erich

That's my understanding as well, subject to local laws, of course (for instance, IIRC, FL does not allow CCW in natl. forests by state statute unless certain conditions are met).
Old January 28, 2005, 09:10 AM   #13
wild_billz

where to carry and where not

In Florida you can carry in a liquor store, not in a bar, chack the state Dept of State website, yu can carry in a restuarant, but not in the bar section.
Old January 28, 2005, 03:16 PM   #14
glennv

Not illegal but I stopped to get directions from these two security guards outside some building. As I pulled away I realized it was an abortion clinic. That's all I'd need is to have them see me printing.
Old January 28, 2005, 10:02 PM   #15
Nimitz87

for all you Fl guys...here

http://licgweb.doacs.state.fl.us/wea...ossession.html
"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms... disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes. Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve to encourage rather than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man."

-Thomas Jefferson
www.insaneindustry.com

Newbieville Moderator
Old January 28, 2005, 10:35 PM   #16
beenthere

Off limits places

I've never asked a lawyer (I probably should) but since I live across the street from a middle school I'm probably illegal even sitting in my home. I guess that would make it definitely if I went out to the car.
Old January 29, 2005, 01:21 AM   #17
9mmsnoopy

in texas you can carry in liquor stores
Bushmaster AR15
Old January 29, 2005, 10:34 AM   #18
Shamus

Aside from the state/federal areas where you can't carry here in Ohio there are many signs posted in Malls and other stores. My approach is that I have excellent concealment without concern of printing so I don't bother disarming when I go into those businesses. A couple of reasons. 1) Thats the place where I am most likely to be needing a firearm. 2) I don't like disarming in my car in the parking lot where anyone might be able to see me and be tempted to break into my car to take what I just hid.

The odds that I'll ever need a firearm are extremely low but I would rather have quick access than leave it at home and until they start installing metal detectors or doing a body search I'll keep mine with me.
Old January 29, 2005, 10:51 AM   #19
AttackTurtle

Thanks Nimitz87 and wild_billz.

When I read "any portion of an establishment licensed to dispense alcoholic beverages for consumption* from http://licgweb.doacs.state.fl.us/wea...ossession.html < I thought it didnt matter where the consumption was to take place.

from the FL Statute ":any portion of an establishment licensed to dispense alcoholic beverages for consumption on the premises, which portion of the establishment is primarily devoted to such purpose"

I feel better now. Didnt think I was going to be able to go anywhere common.

Old January 29, 2005, 07:07 PM   #20
JR Guns

????

Of course not!!!......
Old January 30, 2005, 12:38 AM   #21
Lycanthrope

I always get a kick out of this.

No one really makes a big deal about talking about carrying where you aren't allowed.

I've done this myself and I feel that if I have to draw, then I am in the process of saving my own life. If I have to save my life then the litigation involved is the least of my concerns........but......

....bring up the idea of carrying handloads (where being convicted due to using them is pure speculation) and people crawl out of the walls all enraged about how you will be sued and give the anti's more ammunition in the news.

I think that if you are carrying where you shouldn't you will be prosecuted if you use your weapon. I feel it's the lesser of evils in comparison to my life, but I wonder about why we look the other way in some cases and not others....

Not to start a flame war, but carrying has a LOT of social responsibility. If you have to go to the liquor store at 10 am to avoid possible trouble then that's when you need to go.
Old January 30, 2005, 01:13 PM   #22
Joint/Strike

I found a great site that gives many of the particulars of CCW for any state.

Packing.org
"When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own dwelling, his goods are safe." -[B]Luke 11:21
Old January 30, 2005, 02:02 PM   #23
Boilermaker

Thanks for the info from packing.org. I'm from Indiana and there was a short list on there about places that are prohibited such as schools, airports, etc. Does anyone know if it is illegal to carry in any other establishments such as those that sell liquor, drug stores, or if there a complete list, this list just seemed short? I normally don't carry alot but I have wondered about this? I will say that where I live there is a Walgreens drug store within a block of my house, that I usually walk to (most of the time late at night since its the only place open 24hrs). They were robbed about 4 times in the 3 1/2 years i've lived here, so I always carry when I go there. One time we found about it when the police were out front of the house in haul @$$ mode guns drawn flashlights out searching the cars and the fence in the backyard. I have never carried in a place that sells or allows you to drink alcohol, just seems like a common sense place not to . I would be curious to know if its illegal to carry in restraunt/bars, as there are alot of those around here.
Old January 30, 2005, 03:49 PM   #24
38splfan

Never intentionally.

I have never intentionally carried in places not lawful. I'm sure that I have done it unknowingly in the past, or will do so in the future, but purely accidental.
Living in a place that sometimes just stinks with anti's, I do my best to watch my toes when at all possible.
Old January 30, 2005, 11:12 PM   #25
Socrates

I'm a teacher. Thanks to Bill Clinton, I can't protect myself at my place of work.
:barf:

s