The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old February 2, 2005, 01:03 AM   #1
Anarx

Sawed off Shotgun for a backup???

Hey guys i was just thinking.. i know it might be a silly thought but lets saw your Hog Hunting. Hogs are known the get seriously pissed when shot and charge.. and with them you want a large backup weapon..

so what about a 10 inch barrel, Pistol Grip *pure pistol no stock* shotgun for a side arm? i know it might be a bit combersom to use but in lets say a 20 gauge or even a 410 gauge it would be almost a instant knock out when it hits...

any thoughts?
Old February 2, 2005, 09:26 AM   #2
yorec

Er, you plan to hit a rapidly moving armored tank with razor tusks and an attitude with a short pistol gripped scattergun, whose accuracy and firepower has been seiously degraded by the barrel shortening?

I think a second shot from your primary hunting weapon may be in order. A shotgun would be wonderful, but definately not the "instant knock out" fix that you've pictured... Longer barrel to keep the shot together and on target.

If you try it, I wanna see video. And I get the shotgun in your will, OK? - sawed offs have deffinate good uses, though this ain't one of 'em.
Old February 2, 2005, 05:31 PM   #3
Anarx

intresting.. well i was thinking of using slugs mainly for it.. your right it might not be the most accureate in the world *probably the least* but i am thinking that if you have to grab it in the first place you have allready exhausted the ammo out of your primary. at this point i'm not a hunter i was just kinda throwing it out there to see what peoples thoughts on it where...

BTW sure you can have the 870 that doesnt exsist when i die :-P

i'm goina post in the shotgun section i am still thinking about geting a old barrel that isent very good anymore and doing the 10 inch sawed off on it, but i have a feeling senice i would need a lisance to own one no gunsmith would do it for me.. so that leaves me with the *hack saw and file* to do it..

couldent you put a choak on it to help keep buckshot in a tighter group.. this wepons intended range is about 20 yards i feel perhaps a little longer...

Just me thoughts
Jess
Old February 2, 2005, 06:41 PM   #4
Jseime

sounds good

id maybe not saw it off too much to keep your shot tight and id use a 12 guage loaded with 00 buck shot. the rem. 870 would be a good one for that purpose. i know a guy whose uncle bowhunts bear and carries a sawed off 12 guage in the treestand as a backup

my brother knows a fellow in Germany who hunts boars with a custom 7mm Mauser set over two 12 guage barrels loaded with 00 buck sounds like a very very very expensive gun after hearing a description of the craftsmanship and engraving and it would be heavy as all get out but hey wouldnt that be super cool

Last edited by Jseime; February 5, 2005 at 12:14 PM.
Old February 2, 2005, 09:32 PM   #5
Rojoe67

Legal?

In Michigan if you have a 10" sawed off - I am thinking your breaking the law? I think it's a felony too.... 26.5" total length and no shorter than 18" barrel.

Be careful and check state laws before you get the hacksaw out.....This might be a federal rule.......not sure.........

Good luck...
Old February 2, 2005, 09:53 PM   #6
Mannlicher

all together, not a really good idea. Even at close range, you need to aim for shot placement. No matter how powerful a gun is, hitting a hog in a non vital place will NOT put them down. I sometimes hunt with a Winchester Model 70 in .458 Win Mag. It is not a magic bullet, and has, at times, failed to anchor a hog with a single shot.
I agree with yorec here, a quick follow up shot with your primary weapon is a better idea.

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.".........Ronald Reagan
Old February 2, 2005, 11:53 PM   #7
redrooster2

The feds would have a problem with that 10 inch barrel --- think the fed limit is 18 inches.
Old February 4, 2005, 04:03 AM   #8
Anarx

ok guys thanks for the Input i was just using a Hog as an exsample for it.. and yes i know its a fenlony, but its not with the correct BATF Forums filed and the right fees paid...

i was just wondering if there was a practical use for a shawed off shotty besides home defense and consilability...

its cool to hear about the bear hunter though...

Thanks agian
Old February 4, 2005, 07:10 AM   #9
NSO_w/_SIG

No!

That is not a good idea, period.
Old February 4, 2005, 01:56 PM   #10
Trapp

I knew this Coonass that had a 12 guage sawed-off stock, and barrel. It was his snake gun. Saw him shoot it once, when he was ishtfaced. One handed, it nearly ripped his finger off....... I don't think I would carry one
Old February 4, 2005, 04:33 PM   #11
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Trapp, back about 40 years ago, a Texas Highway Patrol major brought his "riot control" guns to my uncle for some gunsmithing.

They were double-barrelled shotguns. External hammers. Nothing but the pistol-grip left, of the buttstock. Barrels cut to about eight inches.

"Dry fired, but not test fired."

I can imagine that the visual effect on the front rows of a rowdy crowd would be somewhat, er, "intimidating", I think might be the proper word.

, Art
Old February 4, 2005, 04:48 PM   #12
1BadF350

Like the gun Mississippi used in the movie "El Dorado" with John Wayne.
Old February 4, 2005, 05:57 PM   #13
FirstFreedom

I don't think it's a half bad little plan to strap a 12 or 20 guage pistol-gripped shotgun on your thigh for a backup, if loaded with slugs. But you have to follow the BATFE rules for an SBS if it's less than 18" - I think you have to pay $200 to "manufacture" an SBS, in addition to some red tape and having a clean background. If so, I'd cut it to about 10-12". That's plenty o' barrel for a shotgun slug to acquire enough steam and accuracy to do quite a number on a hog, IMO. 20 guage would be about right...near the limit of tolerable recoil for most people.
Old February 4, 2005, 06:30 PM   #14
joab

Why not just cut it down to 6.5 "
Old February 4, 2005, 07:25 PM   #15
TDO'NEILL

Anarx
I would NOT do it .

You must of not heard about Ruby Ridge. The feds went in and killed his 12 year old son shooting him in the back. Then shot through a closed door killing his wife while she was holding on to their baby. They brought in the US military. Ask anyone in Idaho about it. All because he cut down a shotgun barrel for an undercover fed 1/8" under 18".
The whole event was a real black eye for law enforcement and the US military.

In my opinion if you do your toast!
Old February 4, 2005, 07:28 PM   #16
Ozzieman

I have hunted HOGS

And I can say with some accuracy that the only way I would want to stand there against a charging HOG with that contraption is if I had a good friend who was a good shot with an HK 91 with a full mag standing to my left and GOD standing to my Right.
I have seen what a 45-70 head hit could NOT do against a 400 pound HOG, hit just right and that HOG is going to laugh at your 410, 20 gage slug.
Old February 4, 2005, 08:06 PM   #17
joab

Quote:
Then shot through a closed door killing his wife while she was holding on to their baby.
She was standing in an open doorway and they were trying to get him for illegally sawing the shotgun off without proper permits. Sawed offs are legal if they are properly registered.
Refer to the link provided in my previous post
Old February 4, 2005, 08:34 PM   #18
woodland

This might be perfect for you

http://www.thunder5.com/docs1.html
Old February 6, 2005, 03:14 AM   #19
Anarx

Yes i remember Ruby Ridge, i thought the whole thing was about tax evasion or something like that... Ruby Ridge was probably the stupedest thing ever.. *from the stand point of a onlooker to the LE involved*
i saw ruby ridge as a total and complete overkill in the use of force.. not to mention that it was totally uncalled for... *i dont know much more about it then whati just wroute i remember seeing a movie about it when i was younger*

Well guys i was thinking more along the lines of doing it legaly, and the whole discussion was more of a Hypotehtical thing. But mainly i just thought it was a neat idea...

That Thunder 5 BTW is narley.. a 410 snub noise pistol... god talk about a overkill carry weapon *personal Defences*, but what can i saw i would buy one if it was resonableally priced and legal.. if not for anything besides the *holy **** * cool factor

anyway Gentlemen your input and forsight on this issue was very enlighting..

Thank you
Old February 6, 2005, 11:17 AM   #20
FirstFreedom

Well, yes and no. Ruby Ridge was about the government murdering some folks (and their dog) because undercover agents entrapped Mr. Weaver into taking a hacksaw to two shotguns, making them shorter than 18" without the proper licensing, and he subsequently failed to appear for court on that charge (a charge for a law that is an infringement of the fundamental right to keep and bear arms). They didn't like him because he chose to exercise his freedom of association right (he had flirted with some white supremacist groups by going to a couple of meetings).

The thunder 5 with .410 shot would be a decent choice for self-defense vs. human BGs, if you're very concerned about penetration/innocents, but notsomuch vs. hogs.
Old February 6, 2005, 11:57 AM   #21
3 weelin geezer

Don't ruin a perfectly good shotgun like that. I tried it with a pardner from walmart and cut it down to 18-1/4. Tried shooting it like Whats-his-face in the movie el dorado or mad max and believe me it won't stay in your hand. The next thing you will know is St Peter is asking your name because that boar had a great time chewing your butt and then some for missing while you were too busy knocking yourself out with that gun. Movie guns don't have 1 ounce of lead coming out just a lot of pyrotechnics/flour/baby powder to make them look cool.
Old February 6, 2005, 08:22 PM   #22
Anarx

geezer i have to say for some reason you post struck my funney bone something ferious...

ok guys let me show you where i got the idea...870 MCS Spec sheet PDF

it was something that just started my mind going with practical use's for that Breeching weapon.

but deffently you guys changed my mind agienst using it for a backup weapon..

BTW the Hog Reffrance was just a Exsample.. i realize that the hog would probably kick my freakin ass..

but please see my new post in the shotgun forum if you use one for hunting.
Old February 8, 2005, 05:56 PM   #23
woodland

First Freedom said:
Quote:
and he subsequently failed to appear for court on that charge
I also believe he never got the notice he was supposed to appear in court, until after the actual court date! So how can you be responsable for not showing up for something you never even knew was happening?
Old February 11, 2005, 06:39 AM   #24
LAK

Ah yes; the tax collectors, and your tax dollars at work.

Rather than mess around shortening a shotgun, get one of these ....

http://www.collectorsfirearms.com/ah1278.htm

But personally if it were to be a handgun, a .41, .44 magnum or one of the .45 class revolvers with the heaviest hardcast bullets would be my choice.
Old September 1, 2005, 02:55 PM   #25
uwunsum

maybe not for a hog but I have a shortened scattergun, legal of course. It is a good barn gun and has taken a number of bothersome geese on the riverbank. I also take it backpacking with me. It would be a good deterant for cyotes in a frenzy and other such critters that might think of hitting my jerky stash. lastly I have removed the heads of a few snapping turtles with it. That should give you a few good ideas of what you can do with a sbs.