The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights > Legal and Political

Old February 10, 2005, 09:19 AM   #51
accordingtome

whow.. what a thread.
Old February 10, 2005, 06:33 PM   #52
MeekAndMild

Some of the arguments seem to be pretty much red herrings. Seems like any poem where the poet is advocating killing and raping innocent people would tend to perpetrate violence. Call it rap or call it a strawberry milkshake, its wrong.

Handy, you're not kin to W.C. Handy are you? Really an amazing guy! We need to start a thread about the Blues. We could name it "Does the Blues really make you a better lover, better marksman and all better around good guy?"
In a few years when the dust finally clears and people start counting their change there is a pretty good chance that President Obama may become known as The Great Absquatulator. You heard it first here on TFL.
Old February 17, 2005, 05:45 PM   #53
Rojoe67

does rap make me violent.........

The answer is heck yes, I want to beat up the tv when the kids have rap on....... I find it silly and the fact someone (anyone) can get a contract to speak (not sing) is unreal to me.... For the freedom of speach I will give it a fair pass, go and collect 200 dollars bla bla bla......... I listen to Country so does that make me want to go ride horses, drink beer and square dance hell no.............. If a day comes when American's can be held responsible for the actions they do........hmmmm wouldn't it be lovely........ NO, instead it's Ford's fault cause they made the fast Mustang that I drove down the sidewalk at dollar days festival........and ended 12 lives.........No - I think not...... music - no matter how dirty, crime intent, fast, slow, redneckie, or longhaired never has nor never will cause harm to anyone.......it might set a unstable person off but the music isn't to blame here......... The goof that did or does an act of crime and said the music told him or her to do it needs to be considered a nut or an over dosed drug head........either case a small cell in the state corrections is the correct place of residence for such a person. Just upsets me my tax dollar has to give same person 3 meals and a place to live........
Old February 18, 2005, 05:40 AM   #54
LAK

What 4V50 Gary said.

Desensitization, and the repeated element of suggestion. These are just two elements affecting human behavior that and well-known and used by the marketing industry - not to mention the manipulative world of political science.
Old February 18, 2005, 11:13 AM   #55
too many choices!?

red herrings are everywhere then.......

If I see a commercial for Quiznos subs newest sandwich and am not hungry, it will not make me alll of sudden want a sandwich.....If I am at a club and Not in a Violent mood and a violent song comes on, it will not MAKE me beat up the person next to me......

If that same commercial comes on and I AM hungry,(read as:susceptible mood) then it MAY have an effect on me.....If I allow myself to be persuaded. Same with the song in the club. If I allow myself to get into a violent mood from words alone, I made a choice. You see, a choice still has to be made...At no point does seeing a commercial or hearing a song take away your free choice(or a game for that matter)......It may give you options you did not know about, but it does not make you do anything you are not in control of ....

Many in here are missing the root cause of problems here....The music does not cause the crime or violence.......The violence of the music they decide to listen to reflects the violence of their world.....Art(yes it is art) reflecting life......

If I am in a really bad mood all week, go home listen to a country song that makes me feel worse and commit suicide, did the song ultimately cause me to kill myself? Or would there be more to it than he killed himself because of a country song .....
Old February 18, 2005, 11:16 AM   #56
Handy

Quote:
Desensitization, and the repeated element of suggestion.
Holy crap! Good thing none of us are exposed to a website with frequent discussions of the best tools and techniques for killing!
Old February 18, 2005, 11:29 AM   #57
too many choices!?

I knew this board had leberals on it.....Just takes the right thread to bring'em out!

Next time a crime is commited just say ,"The devil made me do it!"
"I lost all control of my mental/physical capacity due to a entertainment industry induced rage" This could become the liberal defense of the new millinium :barf: "Society made me do it!"
Old February 18, 2005, 11:59 AM   #58
redhawk41

Quote:
Art(yes it is art) reflecting life
couldn't agree with this more, however ...
Quote:
These are just two elements affecting human behavior that and well-known and used by the marketing industry
it is apparent that rap music sells, and sells big time. so what came first, the chicken or the egg? does rap music sell because of marketing? or does marketing focus on rap music because it sells? i believe that certain aspects of rap music are appealing, which causes it to sell. marketing research (millions of $$$ here) determines what is appealing, then exploits it. we have a snowball effect here. now through marketing and suggestion (if anyone doubts the suggestive power of advertising, look at how much $$$ is spent on it) rap music is permeating itself into all areas of society. now suburban kids want to be like the violent inner-city rappers, because the marketing suggests that is what is cool.

i agree that rap music BY ITSELF does not cause violence, it can be a catylyst as too many choices!? has suggested. i think we need to be mindful of what we expose our children to, and it begins with the TV (example: rap music videos). ever wonder why they call it a television program? i beg all of you, TURN OFF THE TELEVISION! oops, i'm getting OT ...
Old February 18, 2005, 04:08 PM   #59
snacktrack

I am not saying "blame violence on rap music" What I am saying is, taking an honest look at the rap music industry, does it cause people to be violent? I would most definitely say yes. Whether you call it a "catalyst" or whatever...if the message in the music was peace, instead of sell drugs, murder, and disrespect women, there would be a positive influence. Can all you guys out there honestly say..."it doesnt make one bit of difference what the message is.." You are naive to think that.

When I ask the question "does rap music cause violence?" I am not asking, is rap music the sole cause of violence. Of course any situation where murder is committed, there is a complex web of underlying causes. Hitler didnt execute millions of Jews just cause he wanted to. All the right conditions existed at the time for it to happen.

Living in the world of rap is one of those potent conditions. I did not want to use a personal anecdote, but since nobody agrees with me I will try and provide some proof. I know rap can cause violence because I have seen first hand with my brother. While I did not turn to violence and drugs, my brother did. Both raised in the same home, both same gene pool. We both listened to rap. But,my brother turned to violence and dealing crack at 19. WHy? Well a multiple amount of the wrong conditions existed. He hated school, and did not excell like I did in school. He did not have any talents, except for DJ'ing and rap music

One thing you have to understand about white American kids is...they have no roots. They are mixed with so many nationalities and are so diluted and disconnected from their nationalities and cultures, they are desperately looking for meaning, and some sense of belonging to something. This is why rap music is such a hit with white suburban kids. Rap music was this to my brother. It was everything to him. To the point where, he had all black friends and girlfriends. He hung out with the wrong people, he did drugs. There is no doubt in my mind seeing him grow up that rap music played a major role is shaping his way of thinking.

I know too because I was affected myself. I thought it was cool that my brother was a drug dealer, why?? Cause rap make it cool. I watched my brother beat a crack addict that owed him money with a bat. This is something that is "cool" in the rap world. Kick people while they are down and look out for nobody but yourself. Why did my brother choose this likfe when he had a loving family, a nice house in the suburbs? Why did he choose to move in the city on a crack dealing corner? Thats an easy answer, he felt a part of something. He was well respected in that rap world, and where it spilled onto the streets.

Well, I wont say rap music MADE him do it. Im not stupid, but knowing my brother, and how he was raised, I am saying it definitely played a major role is shaping his destructive behavior.
Old February 18, 2005, 05:01 PM   #60
rellik74

No more than Black Sabath makes you Worship Satan. Black Sabath in my cd player right now (46 years old).

It all comes down to low morale values
Old February 18, 2005, 05:27 PM   #61
too many choices!?

Snak Trak I sympathize with your story.....

but(you knew it was coming) anybody still has the option to listen and not do!
You need to identify the root problem, which your last post did a good job of doing, and then ignoring it....Your brother felt like he did not belong....So he looked for attention.....Negative or positve attention is attention. I like some of 50 cents music. I take it for what it is though.....entertainment value.....Not an instructional song on how to be a gangster and get shot 6times and stabbed like 5. So your premise still sounds to me as if you don't want to see the forest for the trees.....

Let me ask you this question.....If rap music had not been around, do you honestly believe your brother would not have found some other fringe group to affiliate with to gain noteriety/attention? I mean no offense in this question, I don't know for sure if it sounds the way I mean to say it...

PS I think some of these gangster rappers just missed out on a few too many hugs growing up...

You could say ,"Selling and doing crack is the most fun in the world" to me a million times and I will not agree with you as the evidence shows otherwise!
Old February 18, 2005, 06:31 PM   #62
snacktrack

Quote:
If rap music had not been around, do you honestly believe your brother would not have found some other fringe group to affiliate with to gain noteriety/attention?
Yes, I do believe if he was involved in something like baseball, or some kind of sport he would not have turned to selling crack. Is your question, if there was no rap, would he look to something else violent? Yes maybe. Thats not the point though. There WAS rap and he made it his life, and he lived what the music rapped about. I am telling you, it had a tremendous effect on his life. Trust me on this one.

You keep looking at things from what YOU would do. You have to look at the kids who actually DO sell crack and turn to a life a violence. THey dont think like you do. And while you dont look at a rap song as an instruction to shoot up some people, kids brought up in a bad setting exposed to nothing but rap DO.

THere is a song by Master P called "Make crack like this" It actually tells you how to make crack with baking soda, and boiling water. You tell me what effect on a kid who is 10 listening to this music is.

I used my brother as an example because your previous posts pointed to upbringing, saying its up to the parents to mold their kids. My parents did a great job.

BTW, I must add I am not upset, its hard to hear what people are saying from typed words. Everyone has points of view. I just am posting mine cause its what I believe from my extensive experience of the rap world and first hand experience with my brother. So NO offense taken at all what points you bring up Too many choices.
Old February 18, 2005, 09:41 PM   #63
too many choices!?

Thanx SnackTrack :)

Now I totally agree with your last post,but(there it is again) we already covered the fact that little kids should not be exposed to some things of an adult/explicit nature. So the ten year old has no buisness with this type of music(parental discretion/control again). So if a kid(under 12 or 13) is out listening to any bad influence(a bad uncle perhaps) it will have bad consequences. If the kid is a little older 13-15, then their moral compass should have been set to SOME extent; in which case its back to the responsibility of the GUARDIAN to keep them set. Finaly, if the kid is no longer refered to as a kid 15+, the guardian is relieved of some of their responsibilities(read as: liability) but not all. If a young adult(of normal intelligence 15-18) decides to turn to a life of crime/prostitution/drug fiend from the words of a song and not from a predisposition or proclivity; I will eat my M4.....
Old February 18, 2005, 11:15 PM   #64
MeekAndMild

I would challenge anyone here to do a simple thought experiment related to semantic triggers for behavior.

Pick out a simple positive phrase such as "It is going to be a good day today". for the next 10 odd calender days say that phrase to yourself 100 times on the way to work and at every coffe break and lunch break. On even days say a control phrase 100 times. Pick something totally neutral such as "It is going to rain in Ethiopia today".

Every night when you get home from work rate the day from 1 to 10 with 1 being a day you felt like walking off the job to 10 being a perfect day. Then rate the day for how effective and productive you were at work.

If you don't like my phrases pick out a positive and a neutral phrase but don't try this with negatives.

Then when you finish try to come back and tell me that words don't influence your emotions and behaviors.
In a few years when the dust finally clears and people start counting their change there is a pretty good chance that President Obama may become known as The Great Absquatulator. You heard it first here on TFL.
Old February 18, 2005, 11:30 PM   #65
too many choices!?

I thought we all agreed.....

That music and other stimuli can effect the emotional state, but whether or not it caused crime.....Happy song makes you feel happy, sad song makes you feel sad(again only sometimes; you have to be susceptible). And since no one here is saying ban rap music(well most anyway ), I believe my last post is the correct answer to the posted question.....

TIFWIW my opinion......
Old February 19, 2005, 12:18 PM   #66
VirgilCaine

It seems to me there have been more love songs written than any other type of song in the history of the world. If it were true that lyrics influenced the folks..than we'd all be in love with each other. but, i'm no expert...and i can prove it.
Old February 19, 2005, 01:17 PM   #67
9mmsnoopy

i dont know about violence, but it sure causes me to get a headache.
Bushmaster AR15
Old February 21, 2005, 03:40 AM   #68
LAK

If psychology-based audio-visual advertizing did not have a tangible effect on enough people - enough of the time - corporations would simply use any presentable corporate rep already on their payroll with cheap easy to see graphics. This as opposed to the elaborate and expensive productions in addition to the already high dollar air time.

Good examples are cars and pharmaceuticals - or state-sanctioned dope. Ask the biggest corporations advertizing on TV in America why they spend so much on this "junk". It is not because they like spending money.
Old February 21, 2005, 02:43 PM   #69
snacktrack

Quote:
It seems to me there have been more love songs written than any other type of song in the history of the world. If it were true that lyrics influenced the folks..than we'd all be in love with each other.
well, as a matter of fact i would say we are all in love. it might not be perfect story books versions of love, but there are a million times more lovers than murderers. I think though that love songs are an expression of love, and show just how many people are deeply affected by love. That is why there is WAY more love songs than any other kind of song.

Imagination is more important than knowledge. -- Albert Einstein
My band's website: daughter darling
Old February 21, 2005, 04:12 PM   #70
redhawk41

Quote:
negative words begin with negative thoughts that have negative effects.
Quote:
Thank you, you just backed my "does rap cause violence?" thread
do eggs cause cake? they are a mutually exclusive ingredient that must be present with the correct combination of other ingredients in the correct proportion.
Old February 21, 2005, 04:34 PM   #71
snacktrack

Quote:
do eggs cause cake? they are a mutually exclusive ingredient that must be present with the correct combination of other ingredients in the correct proportion.
definitely couldnt agree with you more. if you read my other posts in here you will see thats just exactly what i said.

Imagination is more important than knowledge. -- Albert Einstein
My band's website: daughter darling
Old February 27, 2005, 01:17 AM   #72
bigmark300

It gives me a violent migrain every time I hear it!
Old February 27, 2005, 02:28 PM   #73
Real Gun

Just for the record, rap is not music per se. It is nasty cultural poetry, recited not sung, accompanied mostly by rhythm. Since often extemporaneous, calling it poetry is probably too dignifying. Similes involving real music are valid only in reference to lyrics, not any effect actual music might have on a person's mood and then possibly behavior. A comment in regard to rhythm's effect could be valid.

To some extent, the vocal part is rhythm too, in the case of someone who couldn't understand or follow the lyrics. To me it's just noise and culturally repulsive, but I do respect that some genuinely like it and identify with it.

To me there is no question that it could be a bad influence, but that's just my opinion. If it engenders hatred and anger, violence could be the ultimate byproduct. If nothing else, it is a way to pass culturally based hatred, an attitude, or simply poor behavior from one generation to another.
Old March 2, 2005, 11:41 AM   #74
kjm

Ah Statistics!
" Correlation is not Causation."

Does Rap cause violence or do violent people listen to rap?

Which came first, the chicken or the egg?
Old March 2, 2005, 12:36 PM   #75
cuate

Does RAP Cause Violence?

Only if I trip over a chair to reach the source and change the dial or if I have to deliver a knuckle sandwich to my own teenager to keep his hands off my radio in my pickup.

Seriously, rap lovers wouldn't be able to live with my C&W like George Jones and Hank Williams so it is a two way street.

I do not feel that is is a good influence to youngsters but they listen to what they want anyway.