The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 8, 2005, 06:07 PM   #1
woodland

What is the best ballistics program?

Anyone have any favorites? I have never used one, but plan to get one in the next month or two. Any opinions and recomendations are welcome.
Thanks.
Old February 8, 2005, 07:43 PM   #2
RLFD5415

freeware

Best freeware IMO is Point Blank. You can download at

http://www.huntingnut.com/

Good Luck!
Old February 9, 2005, 12:20 PM   #3
woodland

Thanks. That looks like a pretty good one.
Old February 9, 2005, 03:20 PM   #4
Ackley Improved User

Ballistics Programs - External and Internal

You can calculate external ballistics right off the web - the easiest and best program I've run into is on "Rob's Reloading Pages". Go to:

http://www.robsoft.nu/ballistik_en/b...ainID=3&Show=1

Internal ballistics is a different matter, and the only program I know of can be purchased from NECO. See my thread on this board.

"The QuickLoad program from Neco (http://www.neconos.com/) is amazing. It can predict internal and external ballistics and has a HUGE bullet, casing, powder, barrel length, internal pressure, etc. selection. The program was developed by a brilliant German ballistician.

I've worked with it for years (so has SPEER bullets with its reloading manual), and it is amazing how well it predicts performance for various cartridge, caliber, powder, bullet, internal pressure, and barrel length combinations. You can even design you own wildcat.

I've noticed much debate on this forum regarding which cartridge is best, etc. With this program you can see SCIENTIFICALLY how the different cartridges compare. For example, you can see how the 300 Win Mag compares to the 300 RUM or 30-06 or whatever, when loaded to the same pressures with the same barrel lengths and with available modern powders.

You'll find that as the case gets bigger, the cartridge gets less efficient - yet, it remains true that the more "dynamite" (i.e., powder) you behind the bullet the more velocity/energy you get - of course, at a cost of more muzzle blast and kick. How dead can an elk get?"
Old February 9, 2005, 05:22 PM   #5
30Cal

I go with quick and dirty. I want to know what I'll need to get on paper and if hunting, whether it's got enough velocity/energy left when it gets there. Really, unless you have the shooting conditions at your fingertips (temp, humidity, altitude, wind), the place where the program says the bullet will hit is not going to match where the hole in the target actually is. Temp and humidity have pretty significant effects on a moving bullet (>1MoA for typical changes you'll see during the course of a day).

Ty
Old February 9, 2005, 11:36 PM   #6
rwilson452

Ballistic software

As far as I have been able to determine all the software uses the same tables. so the real difference is in bells and whistles. ok some have better/newer bullet files for B.C. This goes to the GIGO factor.