The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 9, 2005, 10:48 PM   #1
BigSlick

Rock Chucker Primer Catcher

If any of you are tired of picking up spent primers from your lap, the floor, the bench and everywhere else, check this out :

http://www.midwayusa.com/rewriteaproduct/145927

I just picked one up today and it seems to catch every primer (so far). The one that comes with the RC Supreme is a joke.

I thought this may save someone else a little time...

BigSlick
Old February 9, 2005, 11:52 PM   #2
redrooster2

Thanks for the information --- at present they seem to be everywhere.
Old February 10, 2005, 12:16 AM   #3
impact

My rockchucker press came with one of those about 16 years ago. still don't catch all the spent primers but it gets most of them. I found adjusting the decaping pin makes a big difference between a spent primer on the floor and one in the tray.
Old February 10, 2005, 12:47 AM   #4
BigSlick

One of my friends has been loading on a RC for over 20 years. His also came with this catcher and the plastic grip handle.

He saw mine, loved the ball/arm setup but thought the primer catcher was just about as ignorant a design as he had ever seen. He loads 30-06 and 45 ACP, only about 150-200 rounds a month. The RC has served him pretty well since the 70's.

I called RCBS to see if an 'old style' catcher was available.

Of course it is - for about 10 bucks.

Evolution of product design in the reloading business never ceases to amaze me

BigSlick
Old February 10, 2005, 10:31 AM   #5
bill k

I have a rockchucker with a primer catcher. It catches 9 out of ten, but I wish it caught all of them. Spent primers on the floor freeks my wife out so I have to vacume my office now. Give your new catcher a couple weeks, if it still catches all the primers post a note, I'll get one.
Old February 10, 2005, 01:16 PM   #6
dromia

Primer catcher

Hi,

I've one of those catchers with my 10 year old Chucker, it also missed the odd primer. As I prime off the press I was able to solve the problem by friction fitting a strip of wooden moulding into the primer arm slot in the ram leaving a gap at the bottom for the primer to trickle out of into the catcher.

Same bit of wood has been in there for almost as long as the press has been on the bench, its got a nice shiny oiled patina now.
Old February 10, 2005, 06:00 PM   #7
Mal H
Staff

My old Rockchucker came with that style of catcher many moons ago. I have attached a picture of how I solved the primer-bounce problem. I simply taped a piece of heavy paper to the back of the catcher - works like a champ.

Now, my primer catcher fix may not work for all since I used a highly specialized piece of cardboard. It is from the back cover of an old National Bullet catalog. So unless you have one of those old catalogs, I can't guarantee the same results.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rc_primer_catcher.jpg (51.2 KB, 175 views)