The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old March 8, 2005, 02:06 PM   #1
Andrew LB

My friend got shot on accident by idiot neighbor... pics.

The other night my buddy gets home the guy who lives in the duplex above him called him upstairs. My friend is an avid shooter and is very safe with firearms... he's about as extreme as they get.

So he goes upstairs and his neighbor grabs out of his dresser a handgun and TOSSES it to my friend who is about 3 feet way and says "its cocked and loaded". As my friend catches it (it totally freaked him out).... as it hits his hand the .357 magnum goes off (he never hit the trigger) and it goes off.... blows a hole through his left hand and then continued through his left thigh... then through the neighbors leg.

My friend (the only of the two i could give a crap about) is doing ok... they did some mild surgery and wrapped him up. Unfortunately because of his dumbass neighbor... he is going to miss a month of work and have to deal with tons of pain and strong pain killers like norcos and the initial morphine injections.

My buddy doesnt have medical insurance so is trying to figure out what to do since the guy who tossed the gun is not only his neighbor, but his landlord. He's hoping that homeowners insurance will cover it but is going to consult his lawyer about what to do since he would rather not get kicked out of his great place or have serious landlord issues due to a lawsuit. He just wants his bills paid.

Anyways..... now to the juicy :barf: stuff.....

i'll just link the photos and not post them here since i'm not sure if i'll get modded.

http://www.kalionzes.com/357magnumholes/
Old March 8, 2005, 02:09 PM   #2
dolanp

Your friend has more than enough grounds to sue the crap out of that landlord for medical bills, pain and suffering, missed work, etc. In fact he ought to be criminally charged as well. That is such a stupid thing to do!

Your friend is lucky that he survived this neighbor's idiocy. I hope he gets better soon.
Old March 8, 2005, 02:12 PM   #3
DoItRight

*SMH*

Wow -- my thoughts and prayers go out to your friend.
Old March 8, 2005, 02:17 PM   #4
Andrew LB

Thanks guys. I cannot believe how lucky he was (if its even possible to say getting show by a .357mag is in any way "lucky").... because if he was hit any closer to his index finger or any deeper into his leg and this would have been a completely different story. I'm just glad he is going to be ok. There is plenty of time to deal wtih the idiot neighbor.
Old March 8, 2005, 02:18 PM   #5
carolinaflats

Glad your buddy wasn't more seriously hurt! Those pics are something...can't say I've ever seen pics of a gunshot before.
Old March 8, 2005, 02:26 PM   #6
chris in va

That is quite possibly the dumbest thing I've ever heard someone doing. Good God. Might as well have said, "Here, catch this live grenade".

After he gets better, he should just stare at the landlord for hours on end until he can't take it any more and hands him the title to his house. It would certainly save any lawyers fees.
Old March 8, 2005, 02:28 PM   #7
jburtonpdx

"After he gets better, he should just stare at the landlord for hours on end until he can't take it any more and hands him the title to his house."

Quite possibly the best thing I have ever read. Dont say a word, just be there quietly staring at him. Ignore everything said, every offer of apology, every offer of settlement, untill the title is there...
Old March 8, 2005, 03:26 PM   #8
HappyGunner

That really is bad luck

Your friend really had bad luck that day and I reach out to him in his pain and suffering. I think I have seen and read every stupid firearm related item and wam!! here is another. And sadly it's someone else not the stupid person who is hurt or killed. And I am sure the anti-firearm bunch will jump right into making a anti-firearm statement about what happend. anyway I hope your friend mends quickly and gets some money to cover the damage done.
Old March 8, 2005, 03:32 PM   #9
USP45usp

I hope your friend knows how to run an apartment complex... and that's just what I would sue for for starters.

How can people be so dang stupid

The hand wasn't the most dangerous of this wound but the leg. He's lucky that it didn't hit the artery.

Now he should take that luck and make him and a lawyer very rich men (usually, I don't like lawyers but in this case, I would make an exception).

Wayne
Old March 8, 2005, 03:45 PM   #10
k_dawg

damn, if that isn't criminal, it OUGHT to be!

Hell, you even have intent.. "its cocked and loaded".
Old March 8, 2005, 03:45 PM   #11
xXStarScreamXx

The other day I felt like I was being unsafe when I handed a gun to my friend with a full mag but empty chamber.

first I'd make sure your friend will be ok, next I would try to see if the landlord willpony up for the bills, if not. sue his ass.
Old March 8, 2005, 03:48 PM   #12
Number 6

It IS!

"...damn, if that isn't criminal, it OUGHT to be!"

It's called "reckless endangerment." Fortunately, the moron in question actually has some assets - IF the victim moves faster than the cretin does. The title may already now be in a trust.
Old March 8, 2005, 03:50 PM   #13
KimberFreak

Good lord.. I am definitely not a litigious person, but this definitely calls for some legal action. I think the last thing your friend has to worry about is problems from his landlord. Its definitely the other way around. And by the way, how is his hearing?
Old March 8, 2005, 04:00 PM   #14
Jehzsa

Find a personal injury lawyer. ASAP. As to get the juices flowing, a three-day hospital stay w/surgery in California should be about $100,000.
Old March 8, 2005, 04:27 PM   #15
Andrew LB

He was only in the hospital for about 20 or so hours but regardless.... he is pursuing legal actions this week. I know his lawyer and we're going to go visit him again tomorrow. He can barely move around the house (he is a very tough guy) and can definately tell the pain he is going through.... even when dosed on perkacet (spelling), and some anti-inflamatories.

A police report was also taken the instant he got to the hospital, and the cops raced back to his place to survey the area, collect the bullet, the gun.... which the "landlord and shooter"'s girlfriend tried to hide... etc.

I hope he takes the bastards duplex (worth over $700k) in a very nice area of Long Beach (California).
Old March 8, 2005, 04:32 PM   #16
JMag

I hope all works out well for all and hate to hear of this type of event. However, I believe some FREE rent is coming at your friend...real soon!
Old March 8, 2005, 04:39 PM   #17
The Body Bagger

Sounds to me like your friend had premeditated this incident, otherwise he would've just caught the gun. Now a good guy (the landlord) is now going to take it in the shorts all because he was trying to share his sport......

Just Kidding.
Old March 8, 2005, 04:40 PM   #18
49hudson

I can't help but believe when your friend tried to catch the gun, he tripped the triger, even if he doesn't think he did.
Still doesn't change the fact that the landlord was a fool!
Old March 8, 2005, 04:42 PM   #19
FirstFreedom

More likely than not, the homeowners/landowner's policy (if he has one) will cover the landlord's acts of negligence, of which this was one - have him find a good lawyer, and if there is insurance coverage, then shop around as to the contingency fee - find one who'll only charge 25% instead of the regular 33%. That's what I'd do, and I'm a lawyer. My lord, that is stupid.
Old March 8, 2005, 04:47 PM   #20
Andrew LB

Quote:
Just Kidding.
You better be...

Quote:
I can't help but believe when your friend tried to catch the gun, he tripped the triger, even if he doesn't think he did.
Still doesn't change the fact that the landlord was a fool!
Well next time i'm out in the boonies and not at a range, i'll test this theory out with my S&W .357 magnum. From what i've been told, its more than possible to discharge a revolver by an impact against hammer itself. I've never played with such a thing, so i'm ignorant to that theory.
Old March 8, 2005, 04:52 PM   #21
gb_in_ga

I'm not normally one to advise pre-emptive civil lawsuits, and I'm one of those who really don't like civil trial lawyers, but I do understand that they do have a place in society. And this is the place. That was criminal stupidity, and if that guy doesn't go to jail, Sue Em. Hey, even if he does go to jail, Sue Em.

I just can't see letting idiots like that off the hook. Sue.
That guy cost him how much in pain, suffering, damages and lost productivity? Sue.
Old March 8, 2005, 05:10 PM   #22
AttackTurtle

Wow, wish him luck in court. It could have been a lot worse though. Picture the gun rotating in the air so that when the gun was caught, it was pointing at the landlord who threw it Explanation would never get you off

RULE II: NEVER LET THE MUZZLE COVER ANYTHING YOU ARE NOT WILLING TO DESTROY

RULE III: KEEP YOUR FINGER OFF THE TRIGGER UNTIL YOUR SIGHTS ARE ON THE TARGET

RULE IV: BE SURE OF YOUR TARGET
Old March 8, 2005, 05:15 PM   #23
CaptainRazor

This has got to be one of the stupidest things I have ever heard of anyone doing.

I assume that it was a revolver so, why in the hell would you have it "cocked" anyway? On top of that, WHY, would you toss a loaded, cocked, ready to fire handgun at someone?

Ya see folks, it's stupidity like this that gives the rest of us (safe, legitimate owners) a bad name, and it only fuels the Anti's argument that guns are evil.

I hope your friend recovers 100% from this. The landlord should at the very least pay the medical bills and the his wages.
Old March 8, 2005, 05:28 PM   #24
Pezo

It is beyond belief how ignorant, the ass of the asses that neighbor is. its to bad that it wasnt only the neighbor the who was hit, because being as stupid as he is he deserved one between the eyes. I edited to say that I wouldnt really wish the worst like that to the ignorant neighbor but it just shocks me how stupid people can be. this guy is a criminal no question of it.
Old March 8, 2005, 05:31 PM   #25
Andrew LB

Yeah. Currently my friend is just looking for medical bills and pain and suffereing which can be settled out of court. There is a full police report (8 car loads of Long Beach Police Department showed up) and they already have extensive notes and the landlord admitted to what he did.

While i'm not one to sue over most things.... i probably end up owning this guys property or a large portion of his assets.

The homeowner now only has that property, but others.... and drives a CLK-55 AMG Mercedes Benz. Its not like he is lacking in money.