The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old March 13, 2005, 01:57 AM   #1
tire iron

Great new hearing protection!

I have been T/E'ing "AOSafety Combat Arms Indoor/Outdoor E-A-R Plugs" for just over a year now - and here are the results.

Here is what they look like:

Don't be mislead by thier simplicity - keep reading...

First off - in my opinion - hearing protection is a MUST. We need to safeguard the senses God gave us - and for our chosen profession/hobby - that means HEARING (and eye) protection.

The problems with other "hearing protection devices" are these:

1. If they are "plug type" (in the ear) - you can't hear ANYTHING while wearing these - which means everyone is yelling at each other (best case) - or you can't hear things that would help you (worst case).

A different "plug type" that supposed to allow normal hearing is the SONIC II - they have a small "cylinder" attached to the ear plug ("SONIC II") that is supposed to let normal sounds through but block loud ones. They are don't even come close to working as good as the "AOSafety Combat Arms" plugs do - at least for me there was a huge difference.)

2. If they are "ear-muff type" (over the ear) - the same problems with the "plug type" above - but also add "bulky and HOT" to the list. (Muffs can interfere when shooting long arms.)

3. Electronic type hearing protection (either plug or muff type) do allow one to hear - and even applify sound - while still protecting hearing - but they are:

a. EXPENSIVE (in the ear electronic hearing protection are even more expensive than the muffs!)
b. Take "odd" batteries
c. still HOT to wear (muff type)

So - what I have typically done in the past is to wear "electronic muffs" when the temps were low (they are too hot to wear in the summer) - and wearing "custom" fitted plugs for warm weather wear and just yelling or pulling them out to talk.

HOWEVER - these "new" plugs are GREAT! They require NO batteries, they DO allow normal conversation (hearing) - while "blocking" loud noises!

I wear them almost ALL the time now - as they don't have the bulk associated with muffs. (If the temps are really cold - I will wear the electronic muffs mainly to keep my ears warm!)

When shooting INDOORS - I do "double up" - and wear these plugs in addition to my electronic muffs - as the muzzle blast from a short barrel AR can literally be deafening indoors. The main reason I wear the muffs is I can crank up the volume to hear things that I wouldn't be able to if I wore plugs alone.

Another cool thing about these plugs is the cost - LESS THAN $10.00 A PAIR!!!!

Here is a link:

http://www.actiongear.com/cgi-bin/ta...y%2D%20Hearing

These puppies are LIGHT YEARS ahead of anything else out there - especially for the price!

Hope this helps,

cheers

tire iron
Old March 16, 2005, 01:05 AM   #2
Andrew LB

I'm gonna order a pair to see how they work. Right now i'm using some plug type that i got at the LAX Shooting Range here in Los Angeles (they're blue)... and they work better than my old ear muff style and were $3.99. If these things work great for normal hearing situations, i'm sold!
Old July 21, 2005, 09:15 PM   #3
Sum1_Special

very interesting, I have been looking for a pair of good plugs. I cant use muffs when shooting rifles and I look like an idiot in them anyway.

These things look long. They look like they would stick out of your ears... Do they?
Old July 21, 2005, 10:22 PM   #4
Double Naught Spy

The only have an NRR of 22. I have muffs with that low of an NRR and can still hear okay, not great, but okay. My point here is that an NRR of 22 isn't that good.

How do you know when the valve system starts to wear out? I have trouble believing the valve closes fast enough to stop loud noise and will continue to do so unimpeded by wear and tear. When my electronic muffs stop doing the electronic thing, they are just muffs. When these stop working, they aren't still providing hearing protection if the valve is stuck open, as say by dirt.

At $12 a pair, cheaper in packs of 50, they ain't cheap. Sure, they are cheaper than electronic muffs, but they are NOT electronic muffs. The foam plugs I get cost roughly a dime a set for a package of 100.

Of course with the plugs mentioned in the opening, you can walk around with what looks like bug butts sticking out of your ears.

Hey, they may work okay, but the protection isn't that high and they are actually very expensive for plugs.
Old July 22, 2005, 12:38 AM   #5
Sum1_Special

I have done quite a bit of reading on them after i posted that.

It seems our US military uses them. The yellow end protects you from sudden noises like a gunfire while the green end is for constant noise like, say, a construction site.

I have read these are one of the best plugs you can buy, and the reason they are $10+ is because they are not disposable like the ones you get in packs of 100, you just wash them and re-use them. As for them wearing out, well, the military seems to trust them and i dont think it works with valves...

Anyway, I ordered a pair. From what i read I am confident enough these will be the best plugs i have ever bought.
Old August 8, 2005, 10:56 PM   #6
63Belair

double your pleasure, double your fun

add muff style protection over the plugs and your ears will thank you.

Go ahead, poke fun at the person wearing all sorts of ear protection, but in 40 years i will be able to make fun of you and you'll never know it because you couldnt hear me!

hehe
Old August 10, 2005, 08:40 AM   #7
johnbt

No moving parts, just a warning to keep filter holes free of dirt and wax.

John
Old August 14, 2005, 07:59 AM   #8
sixandout

wow these seem interesting

I looked these up but can't seem to find any reviews on them. Also found Hocks noise breakers, but they cost more. I'd like to use something like this during the summer on the outdoor range, because the ear muffs I have get to hot. Somebody has to have gotten a pair or 2 by now, what do you think about them?
Old August 21, 2005, 11:38 AM   #9
Sum1_Special

http://chppm-www.apgea.army.mil/docu...1-004-0204.pdf

http://www-nehc.med.navy.mil/downloa...ms_earplug.pdf

These PDF files have loads of info. One thing that confuses me is 'While weapns fire sounds louder when using the yellow plugs than when using conventional plugs, your hearing is still protected'... Does that mean it protects as good as conventional plugs? I don't understand how they would have a rating of 23 DB and still protect as good as 'conventional plugs'. I have a pair, but I haven't used them yet. Anyone know how good they actually protect you from hearing loss?
Old August 21, 2005, 04:18 PM   #10
Bullrock

63Belair

Quote:
Go ahead, poke fun at the person wearing all sorts of ear protection, but in 40 years i will be able to make fun of you and you'll never know it because you couldnt hear me!
No, I won't know it cause I won't be hear!!!
Old August 24, 2005, 03:23 PM   #11
GeorgeF

I got a cheap (price) pair of electronic muffs from Harbor Freight. Their stuff is dubious quality at best (a lot of "no name" stuff from China) but I have to say these muffs worked great! They blocked out noise just fine, didnt notice it any louder than my regular muffs. Was shooting .455 Webley and .357 SIG and next to a guy shooting his 1911, so plenty of loudness to go around.

When no shooting I could hear guys on lane 11 talking when I was on lane 2. And they run on AA's, so no weird batteries to track down. I am quite happy.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=46798
Old August 29, 2005, 12:15 PM   #12
cdoc42

You need the best protection you can get. Ear valves alone won't do it since sound is also conducted by bone (skull). If you get any ringing after loud noise exposure you are one of those folks who WILL lose your hearing as time goes on. Muffs and valves are best. Even then my ears still ring a bit louder than they do under "normal" circumstances. I learned too late.
Old September 14, 2005, 04:54 PM   #13
AttackTurtle

A few of you said you were going to order these and try them out. Any of you have new opinions on either of these products?? (they look neat )

RULE II: NEVER LET THE MUZZLE COVER ANYTHING YOU ARE NOT WILLING TO DESTROY

RULE III: KEEP YOUR FINGER OFF THE TRIGGER UNTIL YOUR SIGHTS ARE ON THE TARGET

RULE IV: BE SURE OF YOUR TARGET
Old September 14, 2005, 05:42 PM   #14
jeff_troop

poor me. i still use what the air force issued me in 1976 for flight line use. they were free.
Old September 14, 2005, 08:49 PM   #15
kobun

I've been using the AOSafety for a few years.
I have them in my ears all the time while at the range. I can still hear people fine, but I'm protected.
When I'm on the line, I double up with a set of electronic hearing protectors.

I recomend them, and you should buy 2-3 pairs. Allways good to have one with your guns, and one set in your pockets.
Old September 15, 2005, 11:50 AM   #16
30Cal

If I put my peltor 6S's over these I would have a total NRR of 23dB (not much protection).

Ty
Old September 16, 2005, 11:18 PM   #17
hso

30Cal, your peltor 6S's list an NRR of 19. These plugs have an NRR of 22. The combined effective NRR should be 19+22-5 or 36. You take away 5 dB as a practice when stacking hearing protection. With indoor noise ranges peaking around 140 to 160 dB you still don't have enough reduction to prevent damage to your hearing if you spend an entire day in the range.
Old September 16, 2005, 11:46 PM   #18
Dead-Nuts-Zero

I have an old set of Lee Sonic Ear Valves bought and used by most skeet and trap shooters in the 70's. I used them for about a dozzen years. Hayyywajjjaasay... what ya say huh? Didn't hear ya, try again ahy...

They have the rubber ear plug and the valve on the outside end. They worked quite well back then. I just found them a week ago and cleaned them up. I will se how they compare to modern basic non-elect. muffs. Do you think these are about the same basic unit as you have posted?
Old November 4, 2005, 09:28 AM   #19
Ian2005

AOSafety door E-A-R Plugs-NO GOOD!

Based on this forum / sales pitch I went online and purchased a pair of "AOSafety Combat Arms Indoor/Outdoor E-A-R Plugs" - the green / yellow and must say without a doubt, THESE ARE THE BIGGEST PIECE OF SHIAT EVER !!!

If if good enough for the government, if good enough for you.. lol not. Then our boys are deaf, as these:
1) do not fit in the ear canal properly
2) are not comfortable
4) don't come in a small little cylindar container.
3) and most importantly DO NOT WORK

Little layers of plastic are supposed to stay in place and block out sound?? Umm NOPE!

Biggest waste of $8.50 period. If I hadn't had such a miserable experience with the vendor I'd send them back. BTW, If you ever think of ordering from BOTACH / Bo Tactical.. DONT. My shipment came in a AMAZON box, what does that tell you. Plus it took 8 days to get here.:barf:
Old November 4, 2005, 12:19 PM   #20
Jayb

Some 15 years ago, I went to an audiologist and had him fit me for a pair of latex ear plugs. My ear canal was blocked just short of my eardrum, and the latex was poured in. It took about 10 minutes for the latex to set up, and I was good to go. I just called locally, and it would cost $35 to have it done today. NRR is 26, but it didn't take long to learn that movement of the muscles in my jaw will break the seal and allow me to hear when I want to. The only visible sign that I"m wearing them is the small tab sticking out for removal.

Some of my rifles

Last edited by Jayb; November 4, 2005 at 02:28 PM.
Old November 8, 2005, 12:10 PM   #21
Ian2005

Scam

There's definitly some sales people here as the AO Combat Arms Ear plugs are ABSOLUTELY HORRIBLE.

Don't believe the hype.

:barf: