The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old March 13, 2005, 11:31 PM   #1
Mike H

P-3AT versus Kahr PM9

I'm having trouble figuring out why anyone would go with a P-3AT over a Kahr PM9.

Both are true pocket guns, but the Kahr offers a lot of extra power with the 9mm.

Anyone make the same comparison - Kahrs just don't seem to be that popular.

Mike H
Old March 14, 2005, 12:32 AM   #2
Hayley

Weight, size and price?
Old March 14, 2005, 05:37 AM   #3
TheSpoGun

Kahr vs KelTec??

To be honest, unless the KelTec's have gotten ALOT better from an example I fired about 7 years ago, I'd say the KelTec and the Kahr are 2 different animals. I carry a K9 off duty, and the gun just feels better in the hand than the Keltec, and seems more solidly built. My Kahr has a pretty decent trigger, and has never failed me with easily 3,500+ rounds fired, mostly my issued +P stuff. I'm not saying Kahrs don't have problems, but, compared to the P11 KelTec I fired, with it's 2 stoppages in 1 magazine, and "gritty" feeling trigger, my choice would be Kahr hands down.
Old March 14, 2005, 09:56 AM   #4
CougarRed

Who said Kahrs aren't popular? I own 2. I carry a P9 Covert in my pocket every day.

Same grip as the PM9, with the slide, barrel and recoil set up of the P9. It's a little less than an inch longer than the PM9, and 1 oz heavier. Extra length in slide/barrel does not affect pocket concealment for me, but does provide better sight plane and more muzzle velocity. And I prefer the traditional recoil set up vs. Seecamp system in PM9.

That said, there are a ton of people walking around with a PM9 who love them.

While Keltec also enjoys some popularity because the P3AT and P32 weigh 7 oz and cost less than Kahrs, no one disputes that a 9mm is a much better self defense round than the .380 or .32. And no one disputes that Kahr's trigger is much better than KelTecs.

Until recently, Kahr's main competitor in the mini-9 market was the Glock 26. I prefer the Kahr, as do a lot of people. Now, Rohrbaugh has entered the fray. But their gun costs twice as much as a Kahr, limiting their market.
Old March 15, 2005, 01:21 PM   #5
Watch-Six

The Kahr is a much better pistol. It does, however, cost more and weigh more. Not really a fair comparision. Watch-Six
Old March 15, 2005, 01:31 PM   #6
U.F.O.

Bad comparison. The P-3AT, for me, is a "last chance" carry weapon. It'll fit invisibly in a front pocket where my PM9 would look like I was carrying a brick. The Kel-Tec is that much smaller. Strictly for deep, deep cover. I view the P-3AT as a derringer alternative. The Kahr PM9 works best for me IWB with a shirt-tail out.

U.F.O.
The low spark of high-heeled boys"
~Traffic - Stevie Winwood~
Old March 15, 2005, 04:35 PM   #7
FirstFreedom

What UFO said. The PM9 is too big for pocket carry (for me), even though yes, it's better quality than the KelTec. The proper comparison for the KelTec P3AT is tiny .32s, .22s, .25s, and derringers.
Old March 15, 2005, 08:04 PM   #8
Eric Larsen

Why do you guys make me want to call you spoiled? I carried a K40 in my pocket and still carry a Makarov all of the time as a BUG! The PM is NOTHING like these guns. Hell I could carry one in every pocket and love it.

The Kahr is a better gun.....nicer finish, trigger, machining etc.......
The KT is still a good gun......not as nice but nice.

Shoot well..............

If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice......Rush
Old March 15, 2005, 11:00 PM   #9
bubbygator

The current P3AT is light-years ahead of KelTec's offerings 7 years ago. Mine was perfectly reliable straight from the box.

Otherwise, I second what has been said above.