The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Closed Thread

Old March 14, 2005, 03:05 PM   #1
MaNiFeSt

if you get pulled over, do you tell the cop you have a gun on you?

say u get pulled over for a speeding ticket, or whatever, do u automatically tell the cop your carrying, or do u not say anything unless he/she asks first?

I'm curious about this, because it seems like if u told them, then it would turn a rountine traffic stop into this big ordeal where they would most likely search through all your crap...

I wasnt sure if its your obligation to announce that you do in fact have a gun on you whether they ask or not?
Old March 14, 2005, 03:12 PM   #2
Ohio Annie

What state?

In Ohio you MUST announce to the officer that you are armed.
Old March 14, 2005, 03:23 PM   #3
Edward429451

Usually. Its in plain view though so I bring their attention to it in case they missed it.

But declaring a weapon gives them right to do a Terry search. Once I exited my vehicle and locked it so I wouldn't have to let her do a Terry search and be seperate from the weapon when it was declared. This created a minor big hoohaw because I didn't stay put like a good little serf. I think it was worth it because I didn't have to let them search my vehicle. I meant no disrespect to the officer, and did not have anything to hide or anything illegal, just stubborn Americanism. I do appreciate the fact that she didn't shoot me for non compliance also but still feel it was a good choice (that time).

Even though actions like mine are seen in a poor light by officers, its not about disrespect. If everyone rolled right over for anything from the police, the country would be gone in 10 years. Politics begin on the street, and polite non compliance and questions go far to keeping it in their minds that this is America baby, and some shreds of the Constitution still exist. Cops deserve respect and so do citizens.

If I was wrong about exiting my vehicle, blame Massad Ayoob. He gave me the idea in one of his articles, and I wholeheartedly agree.
Old March 14, 2005, 03:30 PM   #4
knightkrawler00

In Washington I do not have to tell LEO that I am carrying. So, I don't tell them that I am carrying when I get pulled over, which has been a few times in the last few years.

Some states, however, require that you inform LEO whenever you interact with them. Check your state laws to be on the safe side.
Old March 14, 2005, 03:37 PM   #5
Crimson Trace

Ed -

This is not a critisism in any manner. And you seem to have a good handle on your rights. And realizing that this may vary by geography, but...

Exiting a vehicle when you are pulled over around here is practically a guarantee that you will find yourself proned out on the pavement at gunpoint.

Why? Most officers don't want a subject who is an unknown threat walking back to them as they are walking up. The safest place for you to be is in the car as it reduces opportunities for misunderstanding.

My own experience. Take it for what its worth.

-Z
Old March 14, 2005, 03:39 PM   #6
Majic

Depending on what state you get pulled over in you by law have to tell the LEO. In others a code pops up when they run your drivers license that informs them you have a CCW.
Old March 14, 2005, 03:48 PM   #7
WillBrayjr

When you get pulled over the officer checks his or her computer and I can almost garuntee that if you have a CCW permit, it'll show up on the computer too!
Old March 14, 2005, 04:17 PM   #8
Edward429451

CT, I hear ya and appreciate your concern. I understand exactly what the ramifications of a misunderstanding of that nature would mean, and considering the type of scumbags that LEO deal with everyday, I can't say that I blame them for being cautious!

It's a fine line to walk, this thing called liberty. But why do LEO's search vehicles? Safety primarily of course, but the secondary reason is to look for reasons to take you to jail. I'd almost rather lay in the dirt for 10 minutes than give them invitation to search. There doesn't seem to be a middle ground with LEO's for the most part, and therein lies the risky dilema. How to protect oneself and rights and still somehow be able to let the officer feel safe and not offend him/her.

Sorry if I seem to be straying OT, but declaring weapons to officers opens a can o worms, wether CCW permit or not. Maybe if the DA's were not so eager to give plea bargains, the situation would not be as it is and such a big deal to officers because the real scumbags would be locked away where they should be.
Old March 14, 2005, 04:24 PM   #9
kittyhawk

HELL YES. Always the officer you are armed In might keep you from getting in a hole lot of S**T.
Old March 14, 2005, 05:00 PM   #10
USP45usp

Go to www.packing.org to check your state.

In Oregon, you don't have to tell or inform. Yet when they run your license it will pop up on the check. I will just hand the officer my permit along with the other paperwork so it's not a surprise to them.

Wayne
Old March 14, 2005, 05:02 PM   #11
p99guy

in texas, it comes up when they run your plate or drivers license that you are a CHL, and you are required to hand them both your drivers license and CHL(whether you have a pistol with you that day or not), as well as proof of insurance when in a traffic stop situation.
Old March 14, 2005, 05:30 PM   #12
XavierBreath

In Louisiana, I must inform, and the LEO already knows if he ran the plates.

My procedure is to remove my wallet prior to pulling over, and toss it on the dashboard. It only takes a second. Then I pull over, and I keep both hands on the steering wheel so the officer can see them. I let him speak first, usually it's "License and registration please." I then inform him of the location, type, and condition of my CCW. This is usually on my right hip at 4:00, which is exactly why I placed my wallet on the dash prior to pulling over. I present my license, CCW permit, registration (over the sunvisor) and the traffic stop proceeds.

In four stops, this procedure has never failed me, and I've even had one officer thank me for having my wallet on the dash.

Why do I get pulled over so much? I don't speed, work just takes me into some bad areas and I suppose the police are curious. They use an excuse like failure to signal or getting a tire on the center line, but don't ticket me. Does it bother me? Not really, this is Louisiana after all, and they seem to know me now.
Old March 14, 2005, 05:40 PM   #13
FirstFreedom

Do whatever the law requires, and nothing more. If the law doesn't require disclosure, then not only no, but hell no. If the law requires disclosure, then yes, do so in a calm, direct manner with hands up on the steering wheel. Keep your wallet up on the dash so you don't have to "reach for it." Research the laws of your state....here's a good place to start:

www.packing.org
Old March 14, 2005, 06:13 PM   #14
AttackTurtle

In FL you dont have to.

I would tell them before getting my license and ins if I have to pass over or near the concealed weapon. I dont want a scared jumpy cop. Otherwise, I would tell them after handing them my license. In FL, the officer will find out anyway as soon as he gets to his car. I would rather he hear it from me.

RULE II: NEVER LET THE MUZZLE COVER ANYTHING YOU ARE NOT WILLING TO DESTROY

RULE III: KEEP YOUR FINGER OFF THE TRIGGER UNTIL YOUR SIGHTS ARE ON THE TARGET

RULE IV: BE SURE OF YOUR TARGET
Old March 14, 2005, 06:59 PM   #15
Bullrock

MaNiFeSt

Funny thing! I was just thinking about that today.

Thanks again USP45usp! I used the 'packing' link to check my State. In Maine you don't have to inform, however, if I get pulled over I will just hand the officer my CCP along with my drivers license and registration.
Old March 14, 2005, 06:59 PM   #16
nobanforme

In Utah I just give them my licence and ccw it saves alot of hassles, also i'm required to do this.
Old March 14, 2005, 07:13 PM   #17
Romeos Tune

Here in Oklahoma we must inform them if pulled over and show our C&C permit and inform them we are carrying. Here at least they treat you like gold if you have that permit. They figure with the background checks and all you're a good guy. Of course this is heresay from a couple of the instructors I just took the class from.... I'll be waiting prolly a couple months to get my permit..... Hope they hurry......
Old March 14, 2005, 07:16 PM   #18
Ala Dan
Member in memoriam

Being a ex-LEO myself, I always did appreciate the fact
that some citizens were honest and up-front pointing
out that they were indeed armed. In my case, it did a
lot towards reducing the threat level and making things
go much smoother for the offender. I simply told them
to please leave the weapon in its present state, like
in the glove box, packed away in luggage, in the cars
console, in the ladies purse, on their person, or what
ever. In most instances, I never even requested to
see their CCW license, as I figuered they had nothing
to hide!

Best Wishes,
Old March 14, 2005, 07:19 PM   #19
emt118

From Ohio and Yes I would tell ...(as stated by law and in plain site)
Old March 14, 2005, 07:32 PM   #20
MrBill

I don't know what benefit that is for the officer doing the stop..doesn't eliminate the real threat. I do see it as a reason for the unreasonable officer to conduct a further search. But then I don't really see the sense in regulating the carry of weapons, to a prudent point that is. Bad guys will be bad guys and it's on a LEO to excercise due caution in the line of work. My opinion.
Old March 14, 2005, 07:36 PM   #21
9mmsnoopy

p99guy is right about texas except for one thing, it doesnt come up that one is a chl holder if they run your license plate, just your drivers license. all running the plates tell them is who the car is registered to. they will swipe your license and find out, if you didnt tell them, you face a suspension of your chl, i think on the 3rd time you lose it for good.
Bushmaster AR15
Old March 14, 2005, 08:00 PM   #22
357shooter

In ny state you are not obligated to tell the officer you are carrying,but it is common courtesy to keep your hands on the wheel and tell the officer you are a licenced pistol holder and that you have a pistol on your person.Hopefully I will never have the need to go through that but I would let the officer know.
Old March 14, 2005, 08:03 PM   #23
jonathon

Honesty you shouldn't have to, but a lot places require it now or you will be in big trouble. Funny how they can take away your pistol permit for not announcing that you're packing...

I don't know about WA, but I'll find out in 4 years when I get my pistol permit..
Romans 12:21

Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good

More CZ M52 info than you can shake a stick at!
Old March 14, 2005, 08:13 PM   #24
bp78

Yes. Tis the law in NC

In NC we're required to declare it when ever approached by an officer.
If pulled, the CCW info comes back to the officer as part of three pieces of info they get when they run your plate at a stop:
1) sex offender y/n
2) warrants y/n
3) ccw permit y/n

Kinda puts CCW permits in the wrong light?
Old March 14, 2005, 08:16 PM   #25
jonathon

Quote:
Kinda puts CCW permits in the wrong light?
Exactly.
Romans 12:21

Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good

More CZ M52 info than you can shake a stick at!
Closed Thread