The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 4, 2005, 04:50 PM   #1
Powderman

Bullet Casting--A Quick Start

This is in response to the threads I have seen recently asking for casting advice.

While I am by no means the Alpha and Omega of bullet casting, I have learned enough to pass along some tips.

To Mods and other experienced casters--please chime in if I have missed something.

Here we go:

This is for the folks who wrote and said that they wanted a little more info on casting their own.

While I do not claim to be even close to an expert with casting, I have picked up a few things over the years, and I hope that by sharing them others will benefit.

Moderators, experienced casters and others, please chime in if I miss something, OK?

First considerations

Bullet casting is simple, but it's not for the simple minded. There are things that will go ouch, and things that will hurt for a long time if you don't take some simple precautions. Here's what I've learned:

1. Take the proper precautions.

This means that you must use the following:

High-temp gloves, suitable for handling hot metals.

Full-length heavy denim work clothes, preferably with an apron. This will protect you from hot metal splashes and spills.

Safety goggles or glasses--ALWAYS.

Breathing protection. A filter mask is OK, a respirator is better.

Baby wipes--for the immediate wipedown right after casting.

Good, heavy work shoes.

2. Always be aware of SAFETY!

You will be handling, pouring, and holding molten metal, in excess of 600 degrees F. in temperature. This stuff doesn't play, folks. Deep tissue burns can happen in a second with this stuff.

NEVER hold the hot molds over ANY part of your body.

DO NOT allow any type of moisture around the casting area. One drop of water can cause a steam explosion, which will spit molten metal all over. Tain't pretty.

ALWAYS wear breathing and eye protection when casting. Use the breathing protection to keep lead particulates from entering your respiratory system. Eye protection? See paragraph above.

Keep the temperature of your lead pot below 800 degrees. At about 900-1000 degrees, the lead actually starts to vaporize, and you will actually inhale some of it. Lead is a cumulative poison, as we all know.

Cast outside, or use a good fan, blowing right across the pot, out an open window.

When you are done casting, or take a break, use the baby wipes to wipe your hands first. Then wash with plenty of hot soapy water. DO NOT smoke, eat or drink ANYTHING before you do this.

That's all for part one. Reflect on this if you want; I'll post Part II tomorrow.

Oh, if you want to read up on all of this, I suggest any good book on casting will give you the heads up.

More to come.............
Old April 5, 2005, 08:32 AM   #2
Powderman

Bump--there's one person who's looking for this that I know of.
Old April 5, 2005, 05:24 PM   #3
CaptainRazor

Sounds like you have it all pretty much covered, can't really think of anything to add in any of the parts.
Old April 5, 2005, 05:50 PM   #4
novus collectus

Another one for my printer to print.
Old April 11, 2005, 10:31 AM   #5
Lucky Cuss

Powderman,
This series is fantastic. I am just starting out and your notes will be really handy.
Thanks, Lucky Cuss
Old December 4, 2008, 02:41 AM   #6
Powderman

Bumped up to answer some questions for beginning casters. Enjoy!