The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old April 5, 2005, 01:56 PM   #1
rmagill

Self Defense Ammo for a 9mm Glock

I know similar questions have been posted here, but I have not really found anything that clearly addresses this. What type of ammo (grain, brand, type (fmp, efmj, jhp, etc.)) is best/works well as a self defense round with a 9mm glock? Thanks.
Old April 5, 2005, 02:04 PM   #2
fwcofficer

I carry Speer Gold Dots 124gr +P in my Glock 19. I have heard excellent things about Gold Dots and can't wait to do some of my own ballistic testing. I also want to try Winchester Ranger SXT's but they are hard to find locally (Miami,Fl).
Old April 5, 2005, 04:50 PM   #3
tulsamal

I'll give you a few choices!

My Glock 17 loves the old Federal 9BP load. That's a non-+p hollow point but it does shoot like a total match load. Amazing accuracy from several of my 9mm's.

I also like the 115 and 125 grain JHP's that CorBon loads. These are both +P and have a very serious punch. And my G17 shoots them into little groups as well. I used to actually carry the 125 for a while. The only downside to me is that it isn't some kind of super-premium bullet. If it was XTP or Gold Dot, I would probably still be using it today. The new loads that use the solid copper bullets from CorBon are on my "try it out" list but I haven't gotten any yet.

My number one choice for serious work in a Glock 9mm _right now_ would be something from Pro Load with a Gold Dot bullet. Your choice of 115 or 124 grain hollow points. 1300 fps with the lighter and 1200 fps with the heavier. Ought to do the job.

http://www.proload.com/shoppingcart/...asp?show_cal=5

Gregg
Old April 5, 2005, 06:25 PM   #4
cheygriz

My first choice is the Winchester Ranger "T" 127 +P+.

Second choice is the Federal 9BPLE 115 GR +P+

Third choice is Federal 9BP or winchester 115 STHP.
Old April 5, 2005, 10:38 PM   #5
Para Bellum

Emfj

Did my own test:
http://www.raoulwagner.com/9mm.htm
124grs out of a G26 Subcompact with 381 meters/sec. Impressive and working.
Old April 5, 2005, 11:36 PM   #6
w4klr

Ranger Ts are hard to come by locally, since most follow Winchester LE policy (though not law), but you can purchase on GunBroker.com

I wear Golden Sabers while on duty and off, I like the rounds dependability, and expansion, not to mention lower cost and wider availability. I don't like driving 20 miles to my LE dealer just to flash a badge and get Rangers, which I may add that the engineer behind rangers went on to develop Golden Sabers and is still employed by Remington.
Old April 6, 2005, 05:41 PM   #7
rmagill

Great! Thanks for your help.
Old April 6, 2005, 07:31 PM   #8
Nnobby45

A number of LE departments, like New York City, have been VERY happy with their Glock 19's and 124 Speer GD +P's.

If a pictures of my friends new SIG P229R shows up, I'm just learning to send attachments. If it doesn't, then I obviously haven't learned too well.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF0017.jpg (68.0 KB, 689 views)
Old April 6, 2005, 07:55 PM   #9
norm582

9mm ammo

Most of the research shows the cor-bon 115gr to be the most effective round for the 9mm
Old April 6, 2005, 08:11 PM   #10
Avid Concealer

Quote:
Originally Posted by norm582
Most of the research shows the cor-bon 115gr to be the most effective round for the 9mm
For some reason I had a serious problem with jams with that in my fullsize walther P99, a buddy of mine had no problem with it in his compact sw99. I just don't trust corbon anymore, not in my p99. I simply carry some 115 grain remington hollowpoints. Hell, any bullet would work though. Even a normal range round. I know if I got shot with one, I'm pretty darn sure I'd be down!
Old April 6, 2005, 08:15 PM   #11
Jelly

Federal 9BP 115-grain JHP
Old April 6, 2005, 09:08 PM   #12
kardinal

Federal Hydroshoks

I personally like Federal Hydroshoks 135grain...they feed perfectly through my P99 (which I still faithfully believe is the best gun for me ). They are marketed as lower recoil but after firing them I seriously doubt it. I like these rounds because I think that they are a good compromise between the light and fast / slow and heavy fields of thought for HD ammo. The ballistics sheet on the Federal website shows that the bullet is traveling at 1013 feet per second at 50 feet.

Also you could look at some of the frangible stuff, I am still unsold on the idea, but RCBD seems to make an interesting HD ammo product.

www.RCBD.com (IIRC)

jeff

Edmund Burke (1729 - 1797)
Old April 6, 2005, 09:29 PM   #13
Mark54g

Avid

You would be surprised what kind of damage you could take and keep going if the right stakes were on the line. Any bullet can kill, and people choose effective stoppers for their own reasons.

I remember the time when I told a friend of mine "I could take a 22, no problem. It most likely wouldn't kill me"

His reply:

"Well, it would probably change your mind"

My mantra is, you don't always have to put down an ox with one shot. Not everybody is a hulking psycho drugged up brute who feels no pain. In that case, 2 shots to the head might be the trick .

However, you should try and pick the most effective caliber you can control and shoot.

If all you have are FMJ, use them. I doubt that if you shot someone with a FMJ they would say "Hah, not a large enough wound channel."
Old April 6, 2005, 09:31 PM   #14
45 Fu

I know this is not the kind of answer you were looking for, but consider it, please.

Regardless of caliber, the best defensive round is the one that will function in your particular pistol (regardless of what others say), regardless of maker, design, weight, velocity, hype, or any other factor, 100% of the time. If there's more than one then choose the most accurate.

The most important thing about your weapon is that it must work when you need it to. You may have the end-all-be-all load but it is worthless unless your weapon will reliably feed it. A bullet does not care if it is being shot from a Glock, Sig, S&W, but pistols do show a preference for certain loads, and you can bet that no two pistols (even the same model from the same maker) will like the same thing.

The second most important thing is that you put your round where it needs to go. While 99% of that depends on you, it helps to know your load will shoot to point of aim. Take all the talk about one shot stops, sooting Jell-O, phone books, milk jugs, etc. with a grain of salt. Just find a round that works and practice with it.

If/when you are ever in the unfortunate position of having to use your pistol I promise the reliabilty of that pistol, and the time you spent on the range, will pay bigger dividends than what kind of bullet you used.
Old April 6, 2005, 09:43 PM   #15
als54

Range 147 grain subsonic JHP...
Taurus PT145 Millennium PRO
Old April 6, 2005, 10:01 PM   #16
Rojoe67

ammo

I echo 45's info........practice often and well

I have my 9 loaded up with Remington 147g JHP. Muzzle velocity is 990fps. and Muzzle energy is 320 lbs. Is there better ammunition? Yes sir, I know for twice what I paid I could get a handful of Cor-Bon's that are some big numbers. If I had a lot of cash I would likely spend it on the Cor-Bon stuff. Well, I have a little cash and when something is on sale Rojoe dives on it. I got this box of Remington Express 147g. JHP for $7.79 (#50). I think the store was cleaning house and wanted to get rid of the slow movers and the (not - so) popular stuff. Well, it works fine in my little concealed pistol. Will it save my life? I am confident it will. Do I care about what some other folks say about it? not a bit.....

I just don't think that 2 well placed 115g expensive JHP vs. my cheap 147g JHP also well placed make much difference. If I get 10" deep and mushroom penetration vs say 15".........? My goodness am I shooting at an elephant? I guess for me and what I use it for any good quality ammo (I like JHP) will help you protect yourself. I feel that lots of good stuff is available and some is not the in-thing for the in-group......that is great because then Rojoe goes shopping half priced.... Best of luck.......and good shooting
Old April 6, 2005, 11:52 PM   #17
Avid Concealer

Just out of curiosity. Is it legal to carry incendiary ammo for self defense? Also is it just as safe to transport as the "traditional" non specialty ammo?
Old April 7, 2005, 11:59 AM   #18
sox

"most of the research shows" Whose research? You need to update your reading. Go to www.tacticalforums.com and go to terminal effects section and search your same query. You will get alot of solid information. Oh, for me Cor bon has been the most unreliable ammo I have every used, yeah its super hot, but I have had more than my fair share of failure to fires after solid primer hits.
Old April 7, 2005, 01:39 PM   #19
Tripplethreat

Currently prefer RA9Ta 127+P+ rangers in a G26 and a G19,with 124gr Ga Arms Gold Dots as a second choice.I like the 147gr. Golden Sabre in a Kahr MK9,but need more experimentation on this one since it's a relatively new purchase.
Old April 7, 2005, 01:53 PM   #20
jlwatts3

Everyone who knows anything about ballistics knows the best ammo is without a doubt EXTREME SHOCK Anti-Terrorist Rounds. DUH All it takes is one of their 9mm rounds to bag a 500lb Chechnyan Extremist Terrorist Boar.

http://www.extremeshockusa.com/

:barf: (just a joke everybody)
Old April 7, 2005, 08:44 PM   #21
fwcofficer

I saw that Extreme Shock at a local gun shop about a month back, and the saleswoman said "it is the best defense ammo going right now, of course it is more expense then the rest, but it is worth it!" So I was wondering how much "more expensive" it was, when she told me, I almost choked; $35.99 for a box of .45's. I will never go back to that store just for that reason. I would like to do some ballistic testing with those though. The website is rediculous. That stuff (and website) is so pathetic, it should be illegal. Fang-Face, give me a break. I have one question though, if it is "anti-terrorist" does that mean if you are not a terrorist it wont hurt you?
#20 Tony Stewart
Old April 10, 2005, 10:21 AM   #22
WaltherP99

+1 on the CorBon's
Old April 10, 2005, 10:46 AM   #23
TheeBadOne

Corbon 115's if they work in your shooter.
Old April 10, 2005, 01:12 PM   #24
rlp1970

Speer Gold Dot 9mm Luger +p 124 GR GDHP
Old April 14, 2005, 08:56 AM   #25
CastleBravo

Winchester Ranger-T 127gr +P+.

I've actually shot alot of it, reliable and very accurate, low flash too.

http://www.proload.com/shoppingcart/...RA9TA&unit=box