The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old May 12, 2005, 07:34 AM   #1
Old Shooter

Kid fires cop's gun in school

A cop at a local school here in Anderson, SC was explaining the security of his holster for his 40 cal Glock model 22.

He actually told one of the kids to try to take his weapon away – the kid tried and got his finger into the trigger guard firing off a shot while the gun was in the officer’s holster. No one was injured but someone will be looking for a new job.

Big splash on TV about the safety of the gun and the competency of the cop.

We don’t need this kind of stupidity.
Old May 12, 2005, 08:50 AM   #2
pointfiveoh

What school was that at so I don't teach there when I get out of Clemson? I can't believe what some people will do to try and make a point. This is awful because most of the cops I have met out this way were good guys and then one goes and messes it up for everyone else. I'm just glad no one was hurt.

P.S. If you know of some good cheap as free places to shoot in the Gville/Anderson area let me know!
Old May 12, 2005, 09:00 AM   #3
Twycross

Irresponsible cop. Well, everyone learns from their mistakes. This mistake may cost him big, and could have hurt others as well. But we, and him can learn from it.

I was going to comment on the stupidity of the cop leaving the safety off, then I realized it was a Glock.
Old May 12, 2005, 09:15 AM   #4
TheeBadOne

Link for the story?
Old May 12, 2005, 09:55 AM   #5
mete

What kind of holster ? A holster especially for a Glock should completely cover the trigger. Retention experiments should only be done with unloaded guns !!!
Old May 12, 2005, 11:02 AM   #6
Old Shooter

Shooting in classroom

It just happened yesterday.
Old May 12, 2005, 11:09 AM   #7
dasmi

You watch, very soon, the Media and The Left will cry for the disarming of cops, For The Children.
Old May 12, 2005, 11:10 AM   #8
XavierBreath

Just because a person is a policeman or DEA agent does not mean they are qualified to teach firearms safety.

When will the public schools finally get this through thier heads?

If you want a Firearms Safety Instructor contact the NRA, don't get little Jimmy's daddy who happens to be a cop to come do it.
Old May 12, 2005, 11:33 AM   #9
gb_in_ga

"If you want a Firearms Safety Instructor contact the NRA"

Agreed. The problem with this is that the NRA is perceived to be a collection of Radical Rightwing Republican Gun Nuts, anathema to your average ordinary Lefty-Liberal public school types who would be setting this sort of thing up. However, "everybody" knows that the police are our friends, and we can trust the police, right, kiddies?

So, even though a qualified NRA safety instructor is actually the better choice -- assuming that we really do want to teach the kids about gun safety -- political perception will shoot that down in just about all cases.

----------------------
Added: No offense to all of you LEOs out there. I'm just trying to portray the Left-Liberal mindset involved here.
Old May 12, 2005, 11:51 AM   #10
Spotted Owl

Quote:
However, "everybody" knows that the police are our friends, and we can trust the police, right, kiddies?
This is certainly a big change from traditional liberal perception of the police ("pigs", "the fuzz", etc.).
Old May 12, 2005, 11:57 AM   #11
yorec

Doesn't sound like a firearms safety class to me - more of a show n' tell session wherein the cop wanted to brag up that no one could take his gun because of the "super duper retention holster" the department issued him. It would save him from any bad guy ever being able to get his gun out and use it against him, so he could freely ignore hands grabbing for his gun...

Yeah he learned something - hopefully the dept. FTO program was taking notes and learned to tell new recruits that rentention holsters are no more "proof" than thier bullet "resistant" vests.
Old May 12, 2005, 01:43 PM   #12
BigSlick

I wonder if the cop in question was a CCW fan ?

Most of the cops I know think CCW is a good thing. I know one who thinks 'civilians' shouldn't own guns because they don't know what they are doing with them. Guns should be left to the 'professionals'

Glad nobody was injured.

This cop has to be the front runner in the Darwin awards this year by a long shot.

BigSlick
Old May 12, 2005, 01:56 PM   #13
Old Shooter

Quote:
This cop has to be the front runner in the Darwin awards this year by a long shot.
The Darwin Awards involve death by the recipient, thank goodness this doesn't.

But there must be an award for lack of judgement - the "I Didn't Think Of That" award.
Old May 12, 2005, 02:15 PM   #14
Number 6

Not quite

"The Darwin Awards involve death by the recipient..."

No, they don't. A Darwin Award recipient must remove himself (and they are almost ALWAYS male) from the gene pool . Period.

So long as the nominee cannot reproduce, they qualify. There was the winner who cut his gonads off due to a certain soccer game and came back into the pub waving them.

HE definitely qualifies, even though he lived. Not sure how much of a life it'll be........
Old May 12, 2005, 02:33 PM   #15
Cryptoboy

I guess unloading his gun wasn't the sensible thing to do.

Or at least removing the round from the chamber. But then he'd have to remember to reload after he left........

Go NOLES!!!!!
Old May 12, 2005, 03:25 PM   #16
gb_in_ga

"This is certainly a big change from traditional liberal perception of the police ("pigs", "the fuzz", etc.)."

Sorry -- I should have been more specific. There are more than 1 left-liberal mind sets. The one I'm getting at is the one where the good little kiddies are instructed that the police are your friends (and for the most part, at least they try to be) -- part of the overall indoctrination of how government is your friend (mostly not), Big Brother is benevolent, and that the Nanny-State can see to all of your needs, all of you precious little sheep-kiddies. Baaaa...

The anger type mindset you refer to comes later.
Old May 12, 2005, 03:42 PM   #17
Vitamin G

What is it about ND's, idiots, and .40 glocks.
Old May 12, 2005, 03:47 PM   #18
Old Shooter

Quote:
No, they don't. A Darwin Award recipient must remove himself (and they are almost ALWAYS male) from the gene pool . Period.
You are 100% correct (as I have also been told by my daughter) and I stand in awe of the fact that someone besides my daughter knows that.
Old May 12, 2005, 03:58 PM   #19
Cybercop

Quote:
You watch, very soon, the Media and The Left will cry for the disarming of cops, For The Children
It almost happend where I work, we had an officer (off duty) who had to shoot an armed robber. One of the rounds penatrated the BG and struck near a citizen. Because of the liability factor their was a plan tossed around for officers to be required to leave all firearms locked up at the station after work. And no off duty carry permitted. Just in case something like this happens again I've taken the liberty of getting my OH CHL .....Just in case

Jim
Old May 12, 2005, 05:34 PM   #20
steelersfan0000

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old May 12, 2005, 08:49 PM   #21
Sir William

I would terminate the deputy. I would suggest billing the county SO for damages caused, medical treatment of the injured and the county should brace for the lawsuits to come. I suggest the county settle out of court. I would suggest wanton endangerment charges against the former deputy. Here is your box of chocolates.
Old May 12, 2005, 09:00 PM   #22
70-101

The main reason I will never carry a Glock

Is there trigger pull is to light at between 4.5 and 5.5 lbs depending on the model. I believe Glock would be much better off if they increased there trigger pull length just a bit. And almost doubled the trigger pull weight.
Old May 12, 2005, 10:01 PM   #23
stevelyn

The Glock is fine as is. Don't blame the tool, blame the tool carrying it. Only a dumbarse would go around showing others how retention holsters work.
Here's another vote for termination.

East Moose. Wear Wolf.
Old May 12, 2005, 11:50 PM   #24
chris in va

Can someone PLEASE PLEASE tell me why live ammo is allowed in schools? :barf:

EDIT: Meaning in a classroom setting.

Last edited by chris in va; May 13, 2005 at 10:28 AM.
Old May 13, 2005, 05:28 AM   #25
Old Shooter

Quote:
Can someone PLEASE PLEASE tell me why live ammo is allowed in schools?
...because blanks are useless.

Seriously, there are thousands of schools that have police officers stationed in them. Don't blow up an incident into a nationwide referendum on gun safety.