The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old June 30, 2005, 11:42 PM   #1
DarthVader

Need advice on target gun (to learn DE .50)

Hello All,

I recently got into firearms. Started off with a Benelli 26" 12 gauge, then a Ruger .22lr rifle, then a (gulp) Desert Eagle .50AE. Before the DE, I had only fired a friends .38 six shooter.

Needless to say, I have learned that the .50 was not the best first handgun to purchase. Thus, I am asking if anyone has any recommendations for a target gun. Would the .38 or perhaps something smaller like a .22 be good? I guess I would like to develope good habits, rather than develope bad habits trying to control this arm cannon.

Thanks for your replies,

DV
Old June 30, 2005, 11:47 PM   #2
Black Majik

For target, stick with something full size, and in 9mm. The 9mm is a LOT lower in recoil, and should help reduce the chance of flinching.

The full size is for longer sight radius for more accurate shooting. I'd also suggest something in steel to soak up the recoil.

A great target gun would be a 1911 in 9mm. Look into Springfield Armory, Kimber, STI etc...
Old June 30, 2005, 11:55 PM   #3
USSF

A full size 9mm would be good. If money is not an issue, I would go with a Sig P226. Also Springfield makes a good full size in the XD-9, at a good price also. Basically any fullsize 9mm would be good to learn on. Also, again if money is not an issue, the HK USP series has a nice little recoil reduction system. Many people probably won't agree on this, but the Smith and Wesson Sigma has gotten a lot better than it was in the past. Reliable and accurate, and around $300-$400. But like I said earlier, I think that any full sized 9mm would be good to learn to shoot on.
Old July 1, 2005, 12:04 AM   #4
CarbineCaleb

I would suggest the gun whose size, mass, physical form, and controls most resemble your DE, but with more civilized recoil - a .22LR or 9mm semiauto with similar size, weight, controls (as similar as is practical anyway, I hear the DE is actually pretty big).

The Beretta 92FS Brigadier is a pretty big, SA/DA action 9mm with a decocker/safety. Muzzle flip is kept to a minimum by it's mass and low bore axis. Should be reasonably close, anyway to a DE. It's also a great pistol. That's one suggestion, anyway.

Otherwise maybe the Baby Eagle in 9mm???
Old July 1, 2005, 12:10 AM   #5
Gixerman1000

I own a DE XIX in 50ae and I can tell you without any doubt that you went way too large too soon, starting off with too much power before you’re ready can give you very bad and very hard to break habits such as flinching, jerking the trigger, improper grip etc not to mention you’re more likely to shoot it less just from cost of ammo alone.

Here’s a few recommendations that will help you more in the long run

4" to 6" 22lr revolver or auto, cheap to shoot = more practice

Ruger MkII & III
Browning Buckmark
S&W 617

4" to 6" 357mag revolver, You can load them with cheap 38spl and move up to magnum loads when you’re ready.

S&W 66, 686
Ruger GP100

4" to 5" 9mm auto, more bang than a 22lr cheaper too shoot than anything else, very smooth recoil in most 4” to 5“ autos.

Beretta 92fs
CZ-75B
Sig 226
Old July 1, 2005, 11:30 AM   #6
sageowl

I'm in somewhat the same boat myself - I've been shooting defense calibers for years and have all sorts of bad habits. The best I can think to do is a .22LR, as you really can focus on the basics (such as trigger control, sight picture, keeping eyes open through shot, etc.) without having to worry about nasty recoil, muzzle flip, flinching, and so on. I'm eyeing a Browning Buck Mark Camper myself.
Old July 1, 2005, 08:05 PM   #7
Springer45

I don't necessarily disagree with the other posts, but here's another option: To train yourself to be less recoil-sensitive, try a .44 mag revolver like the S&W 629 or Ruger Redhawk. You can buy .44 Special or very mild .44 mag loads which will seem like .38s in that big gun. Then work up to hotter .44 mag loads. Moving from a hot .44 mag load to a .50 AE will be noticeable, but not breathtaking.

The revolver won't help you with many of your DE-specific gun-handling skills, but other basic skills will transfer. You could also get the .44 mag conversion kit for your DE. That may make more sense, actually.

But a .44 WILL cost you more to shoot than a 9mm.
Old July 2, 2005, 09:02 PM   #8
BillCnKC

DarthVader--

Here is my first serious handgun . . .

The big fifty was just too much for me to learn to shoot it AND learn to use that great Leupold 2.5-8x32 scope. So, I bought this Beretta to learn to shoot AND use the scope . . .

All the skills I've learned using the Beretta NEOS Inox DLX with the 7.5" barrel and the scope off the Desert Eagle have transferred to all the other pistols I own, plus the Desert Ealge.

The Beretta was a fantastic investment. In three months, I saved more in .50AE ammunition than the Beretta cost. In the meantime, I learned how to shoot a handgun and fell in love with .22 shooting.

--seal killer
Old July 3, 2005, 12:10 AM   #9
sig-it

amen to the joys of plinking....if there were no BG's in this world, we'd all be plinking all of the time...

that bieng said....for the money, a .22 is bar none the best training gun for all calibers....you will shoot forever for nothing...or next to nothing....
s&w model 41 (.22lr)
cz 97B (.45 acp)
Old July 4, 2005, 11:32 AM   #10
CDignition

Get a .44 DE barrel conversion, it is easy shooting setup, I was surprised at how well mine shoots...