The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old June 17, 2005, 11:51 PM   #1
Full Metal Jacket

Air Force pilot handguns

What do Air Force pilots get in terms of handguns while they are in the cockpit, and/or roaming the air base? Are they armed at all? Do they simply get a carbine or smg instead of a pistol while in flight?

thanks.
Old June 17, 2005, 11:57 PM   #2
Eghad

I am sure there is a standard sidearm they issue to pilots..... usually in combat zones you tote the thing with you. Otherwise its usually turned back into the arms room till you need it again. I had read where some pilots purchased thier own pistols.....

NRA Life Member
Old June 17, 2005, 11:59 PM   #3
jonathon

I would almost bet its the same for everyone else, the M9..
Romans 12:21

Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good

More CZ M52 info than you can shake a stick at!
Old June 17, 2005, 11:59 PM   #4
Dfariswheel

My nephew recently left the Air Force to fly commercial.

He tells me that the standard service M9 Beretta is the issue weapon of pilots while flying over hostile territory.
Old June 18, 2005, 12:08 AM   #5
Eghad

I own a 92F and it aint the worst thing in the world to have.... mine has been very reliable in the last 12-13 years.

I think earlier during Desert Storm they still issued S&W snubbies? I read some pilots purchased Glocks on thier own.

NRA Life Member

Last edited by Eghad; June 18, 2005 at 07:03 AM.
Old June 18, 2005, 12:20 AM   #6
yayarx7

I never have warmed up to the M9, but I can sure shoot it well. It is the only issue sidearm for us Air Force types, even the pilots.
Old June 18, 2005, 12:28 AM   #7
Full Metal Jacket

Shouldn't the pilots be able to choose what they want to carry? I mean, Uncle Sam trusts them with $50,000,000 jets, but they can't bring their $800
1911 or $500 glock?
Old June 18, 2005, 04:02 AM   #8
SCCop

I was USAF once upon a time. They're issued M9's and don't normally carry unless it's over hostile territory. They don't carry stateside and the only time they carry around the base is when they're in a forward location where everybody's packing. They can pretty much carry what they want if they can acquire it.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." Teddy Roosevelt
Old June 18, 2005, 05:52 AM   #9
dr.magnum

One of the wholesalers(SOG,CDNN,etc) had S&W model 13's for sale awhile back advertised as ex-pilot's guns.
Old June 18, 2005, 06:41 AM   #10
Jim Watson

It was the Air Force that started the changeover to 9mms. They selected the Beretta to replace their .38 revolvers which were wearing out. The Army didn't want to be left out so they insisted the trials be run all over again for them. Same story as with M16.

I would be leery of anybody selling S&W Model 13s as USAF issue. I know of no .357 Magnums on issue. The military M13 was an entirely different gun, an Airweight Military and Police .38 Special, known as the Aircrewman. Most of those were scrapped because their aluminum cylinders were not strong enough for the +P type loads the AF was testing at the time, and they were too cheap to pay $50 each for steel cylinders.
Old June 18, 2005, 08:49 AM   #11
N.H. Yankee

Jim Watson got it right, I am retired Air Force and the Air force used the S&W airweight 38 since as far back as the Vietnam era if memory serves me right.
Old June 18, 2005, 10:01 AM   #12
Full Metal Jacket

so, if a pilot where to fly over hostile territory today, could he pack pretty much whatever he wanted, assuming he/she was of decent ranking?
?
Old June 18, 2005, 10:03 AM   #13
Shorts

The sidearms my husband and crew carried during flights was issued and had to be turned back in. They are Navy.
Old June 18, 2005, 10:46 AM   #14
liliysdad

Dosent the M11/ P228 fit in here somewhere? I coulda swore the reason it was adopted was for smaller stature/ female/ concealed/ pilot uses, but I very well may be wrong.
Old June 18, 2005, 03:56 PM   #15
Sulaco2

Ex Force

Some of the CID and plain cloths Crim investigators carried or were issued Sigs, but what your gender or stature is has nothing to do with it, but then when I was in the Force it was .38 mod 10's with that crap round nose lead under sized .38 spl round that literarily rattled down the barrel that was issue. Made for some interesting qual scores
Old June 18, 2005, 05:32 PM   #16
IZinterrogator

Quote:
Some of the CID and plain cloths Crim investigators carried or were issued Sigs, but what your gender or stature is has nothing to do with it
Yup, if you want an M11, you usually have to carry some kind of badge, be it MP (on a special assignment), CID, or CI (in plain clothes).
"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!” - Samuel Adams
Old June 19, 2005, 02:11 AM   #17
SCCop

Some of the older, or more history inclined, folks may be able to help me out here. I think some "aircrew" or "airman" model revolvers may be the old snubs (don't know the model) that had the cut-away triggerguards and some other "homemade" customizing.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." Teddy Roosevelt
Old June 19, 2005, 03:47 AM   #18
LAK

Air Force may have issued some 2" Model 15s to aircrew. The 4" Model 15 version was standard Security Police issue in the 1970s and 80s until the change to the 9mm Berettas; the 2" was sometimes issued for plaincloth wear - and OSI no doubt used them as well.
Old June 19, 2005, 02:09 PM   #19
Slateman

Hey guys, my uncle is in the Air Force. He flys C-5s out of Dover. Actually asked him about this a little while ago.

The decision on sidearms is made at the squadron level. His squadron elected to carr browning hi-powers. Now, if the pilot/crew really wants to, he/she can carr whatever they want to. They just have to pay for it out of their own pocket and still qualify on the standard issue sidearm.

It will almost always be in 9mm caliber, simply because thats whats going to be most available.

And by the way, my uncle has told me that the crew chief will regularly pack an m16 and a 12 guage. "Just in case"
Old June 19, 2005, 06:02 PM   #20
Sulaco2

Slateman that's a hell of a change since I got out, but in any case the would seem to be for flying personnel and/or officers. Us grunts in the sand bag hotels got the revolvers and m16's....Never in six years heard of anybody being able to purchase and carry a private gun, especially a single action! You sure?
Old June 19, 2005, 06:05 PM   #21
Shorts

Well, I think if you were to purchase your own gun for duty use, it gets to live under lock down on base. It's got to be "approved" before going on any flight.
Old June 19, 2005, 07:49 PM   #22
progunner1957

All guns, all the time!!

I don't get it... If an officer and pilot is going to stick his/her sphincter out to get it shot off, why shouldn't they be able to carry what they want???

Carry the M9 or whatever the squadron issues in addition to the pistol of your choice!! If one is good, two has GOT to be better!!

While we are at it, ANYONE in uniform (AKA with a target on their back and front) should be able to carry ANYTHING, ANYWHERE, ANY TIME, period!!
Yes, folk - even on board "The Government's" holy gun-free commercial airliners :barf: . Not just officers - all active duty military, even the lowly one stripe enlisted people. After all, we ARE at war...
Old June 19, 2005, 07:50 PM   #23
Slateman

Well it was kind of a don't ask don't tell sort of thing. I mean, the pilot should be comfortable with what he has to physically carry. And really, if the pilot is shot down and has to use his sidearm, he's in deep stuff.

What comes aboard the air craft is pretty much under the discretion of the craft commander. Esp. on a cargo plane. Now when there is an inspection, you can bet your but that everyone is carrying standard issue. The squadron or wing makes the decision on that. I know for a fact that in my uncle's

I'm close friends with a marine and an army grunt. Both are not exactly impressed with the M9. The army infantryman has asked about the possibility of getting a .45 to him.

My uncle also told me an intersting little tid bit. As most of you know, the Geneva Convention prevents the use of hollow points. However, when the my uncle is in flight, his air crew is allowed to use them because it lessens the chance of punching a whole in the aircraft. But, when, say the crew chief gets out of the plane, he's supposed to switch magazines to the regular ball ammo. At least, he's supposed to
Old June 19, 2005, 08:49 PM   #24
liliysdad

Slateman, Im not saying your full of crap......

But I am.
Old June 19, 2005, 09:16 PM   #25
yayarx7

I gotta call BS on that one as well dude. After 4 years USAF and 5 in the TXANG I think I safely say that I do not believe the part about the individual choosing their own weapons or the crew chief's 12 gauge. 90% of UTC's either have the M9 or the M16A2 as the primary weapon. Even the logistics of AFQC's for every conceivable sidearm is mind-boggling. I have heard of some Security Forces types have to qualify with the 12 gauge but I believe that is for DOD base security. ( I looked it up and only one member of the SF squadron needs to be 12 ga qualified) The only 12 gauge I have ever seen on an air base belongs to the guy that shot it to chase off the birds on the runway. I could be wrong though.