The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old July 6, 2005, 01:49 PM   #1
PaladinX13

Misfire question (how long on a slow primer?)

Common safety instruction is to keep a gun pointed at the target after a misfire in case of a slow primer. A commonly cited advantage of the revolver is to simply pull the trigger to cycle to the next round in case of a misfire. What happens when these two events collide (you cycle to the next round- in a rapid fire or defense situation- but your misfired round goes off)? Is it likely or even possible? Just how slow can a slow primer be?
Old July 6, 2005, 03:19 PM   #2
kojak

Of course that can happen. Misfires aren't that common, though. In 99% of all cases the primer wasn't hit hard enough.

After a misfire you have to wait at least 10 seconds, some advice to wait for 30 seconds..

What would happen in a revolver? Most probably you would cycle the round 1 or 2 chambers in counter-clock direction at S&W. That means if your round goes of the bullet would hit the frame. But not fully, only at the edge. The barrel's forcing cone isn't there, too. So the distance to the frame would be larger and pressure way lower. I don't know the internal ballistics, but I guess even so low that the powder burns totally different and gives you much less energy..
Most probably your gun would be damaged but not so much damaged that you are wounded. IMO it is totally unlikely to loose a hand in such a case.
Old July 6, 2005, 03:30 PM   #3
ATW525

It doesn't sound much different than a chain fire in a cap and ball revolver. It could potentially be a problem if the round makes it all the way to the bottom position before going off, where it would hit the frame head on. Generally I wouldn't worry about it as long as you keep the revolver pointed in a safe direction.
Old July 6, 2005, 03:47 PM   #4
Capt. Charlie
Moderator Emeritus

I've only seen 2 hangfires in my life, and both went off in less than two seconds from hammer strike.

I train in earnest, to do the things that I pray in earnest, I'll never have to do.

--Capt. Charlie
Old July 6, 2005, 08:59 PM   #5
JohnKSa
Staff

At the range, why take the chance. Leave it pointed downrange for 30 seconds. It's not going to cost you anything significant.
Old July 6, 2005, 09:19 PM   #6
Sir William

I am aware of one failure to ignite that waited until a shooter left the range. He almost lost his right hand. Right thumb is decorative only. He was loading his range bag into his car and about to leave the range. I suggest a full minute and then unload.