The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old July 25, 2005, 11:41 PM   #1
tire iron

My review of the new "Liger" belt from MAXPEDITION

I received a “Liger” gun belt from Tim @ Maxpedition just about a month ago. Tim sent it to me to T&E. I was initially very skeptical about its use as a CCW belt after viewing pictures of it. I voiced my opinion that I thought the buckle was too unconventional looking to avoid attracting attention. The last thing I want when “carrying” is for attention to be drawn to my waist area.

Tim “put his money where his mouth is” – and “dared” me to use his belt for 30 days to see who was right – he was confident that the buckle wouldn’t attract undue attention – I was sure that it would.

There also seemed to be some “BFC’s” (Big Fat Claims) regarding the Liger belt too – such as “Ligerthane” (the material the belt is made from) being:

1. Highly abrasion- resistant
2. Totally impervious to water, mildew, rot and resistant to many common solvents.
3. Flexible along its length for comfort yet stiff along its width so you can carry holsters, sheaths, or pouches without the belt sagging or twisting.
4. A super grip interior so the belt stays put
5. A LigerDerm™ patterned exterior that gives it the look and feel of leather; it’s nice enough to wear with your BDU’s or dress pants and perfect for discrete CCW.
6. Easy-to-clean, just rinse with mild detergent and wipe dry.

This all sounded too “info-mercial-ish” to me. I thought “there is no way a belt can do all of that”.

As soon as I took the belt out of the box – I thought – “Crud – this buckle probably WON’T attract undue attention”. After thinking about it for a second – I came to the conclusion that I had first viewed the buckle on my 19” computer screen – making the buckle several times larger than it really is in real life. The buckle – even though is VERY high quality – is diminutive enough to not warrant a “second look” – even with the prominent and visible rivet heads exposed.

I wore this belt every day but one for the past month – and not ONE person commented on the belt or buckle. I wore this belt to work – I wore this belt to play – I wore this belt to the local IDPA match – I wore this belt while taking my wife out to dinner – I wore this belt to church – I wore this belt EVERYWHERE – and not one comment from anyone! Nor did I notice anyone doing a “double take” on this belt/buckle either. The “color scheme” I ordered was the “Tan belt/Grey-Silver buckle”. I ordered this color on purpose – with a couple of reasons in mind. First reason was – I am kind of “long” on black leather belts – so I thought I would “expand my wardrobe” to include a tan belt. The second reason is that I felt the “Black belt/Black buckle” was a little more “covert” – and I wanted the “worst case” belt – to REALLY see if no one noticed this belt. And – no one did – so I can say with complete confidence that the Black on Black belt would be just fine in this area too. And – I think the Black on Black belt would even work with a suit. (My tan one looks fine in “Dockers” – but I personally feel it wouldn’t work with a suit – just my opinion though.)

So – my position on the viability of this as a CCW belt from an aesthetic standpoint is this: It won’t attract undue attention to the waist area.

Now you are probably asking – “What about all the BFC’s regarding this belt?”

Let’s talk about each point – one by one.

First BFC is this: “Highly abrasion resistant”. This is a true claim. This belt is much more resistant to abrasion than either of the leather belts I have – or the “riggers” belts I have. The “outside” is sort of “slick” – it wards off abrasion better than the alternatives.

Second BFC is “Totally impervious to water, mildew, rot and resistant to many common solvents.” I know it is impervious to water – as I went swimming with this belt on. It won’t absorb ANY water (or sweat). I also rubbed on it with some gun cleaning supplies – and – nothing happened. Looks like the second BFC is true too.

Third BFC is “Flexible along its length for comfort yet stiff along its width so you can carry holsters, sheaths, or pouches without the belt sagging or twisting.” I thought – no way! I have some riggers belts that have a “plastic” stiffener in them – and some thick leather belts – and they STILL “roll” somewhat – so this belt has got to “roll” too. Well – I was the most surprised on this one. It DOESN’T roll. I wore a fully loaded Safariland 6004, a HSGI thigh rig and a G-Code SOC rig for a few days each – and there was ZERO “roll”. The belt didn’t even realize there was a “side load” on it. I TRIED to get the belt to roll – and I failed. That is what really got me to saying “Hmmmmmm…..this is some belt”.

Fourth BFC is “A super grip interior so the belt stays put”. I thought this was going to be “mutually exclusive” to the First BFC – being abrasion resistant. I thought “there is no way it can be abrasion resistant AND have a “super” grip interior”. Well – I was wrong. The bad news is – if you don’t get your equipment set “just right” before you tighten the belt – all you will do by trying to adjust the position of your gear is twist your pants around your body. At least that has been my experience. Good news is – once you DO get your gear set just right and tighten the belt – your gear ISN’T moving! It will be exactly where you put it as if you “super glued” your rig to that spot on the belt.

Fifth BFC is “A LigerDerm™ patterned exterior that gives it the look and feel of leather; it’s nice enough to wear with your BDU’s or dress pants and perfect for discrete CCW.” This is true. It does indeed look like leather.

Sixth and final BFC is “Easy-to-clean, just rinse with mild detergent and wipe dry.” True.

So – is this belt perfect?? No – it is not. What is??

Here are my “wishes”. I wish there was some other way to “fasten” the belt – like a “riggers” belt. I just don’t like “holes” on a belt. I feel it limits me to a series of “compromises”. However – all of my leather belts share this same dilemma too – and I still wear them…

This belt will not absorb any sweat – so it may seem a tad “warmer” than a leather or nylon belt that will absorb sweat. However – sweat will deteriorate leather – and isn’t good for riggers belts either. I wore this belt in temperatures over 100 F – and I really didn’t recognize any heat build-up – but some may. However I LIKE the idea that it is impervious to sweat.

So – what is the bottom line you ask??? It is my opinion – won through experience – that this belt is the BEST “CCW” belt on the market today. If there was a way to buckle this like a riggers belt – I would be so bold as to say that this would be the best belt on the planet for any and all tactical uses – be they CCW or for use by SpecOps units in lieu of a riggers belt. I am REALLY impressed with this “Liger” belt. The next $59 I can free up from CINC House and I will be ordering a Black on Black one – and these two Liger belts will replace ALL of my leather belts. I am not easily impressed – in fact I am very skeptical regarding claims made by most manufacturers and gear sellers – but this is one fine belt.

Tim – you won the bet! And – I am glad you did – as this belt is really something!

The Liger belt can be ordered here: http://www.maxpedition.com/product/p...er_belt150.htm

cheers

tire iron
Old July 26, 2005, 08:11 AM   #2
Double Naught Spy

I am afraid that you may have misinterpreted your friends not commenting on the the belt buckle as the belt buckle not drawing undue attention when in reality your friends were just being kind in not telling you that it is just a bizarre (ugly, IMNO) looking buckle.

The fact alone that you feel it necessary to tell us that nobody commented on it in considerable detail it indicates that you are compensating for a detraction of the product.

I really liked this quote from the web site you provided...

Quote:
The LIGER™ buckle and Ligerthane™ belt are riveted together using robust 3/16” stainless steel rivets resulting in a strong, permanent one-piece construction.
You know, my car's engine is composed of many parts as well, but I would not call it a one piece construction. You have the aluminum buckle, the stainless rivet parts, and the belt. Sort of by definition, if it is constructed, it is composed of more than one part and is not one piece.
Old July 26, 2005, 08:56 AM   #3
OBIWAN

Wow...how about his spelling...was that OK

Thanks Tire Iron...nice review

You report...we decide
Old July 26, 2005, 03:21 PM   #4
tire iron

DNS,

I could see how you would get that out of my post - but the real truth is I am more utilitarian than that - i.e. I don't really care to make a fashion statement either way - my only concern was if this belt would draw undue attention to my waist area - which it did not. Hardly anyone even looked at my belt/buckle - and if they did - it was a short "one look" - not a double take or a long look. And I don't really care what thier thoughts concerning the belt are.

The belt WORKS - and it works better than anything else I have tried or used - so that is what matters most to me.

Thanks for taking the time to post your thoughts!

OBIWAN,

Thanks for the kind words and thanks for the post!

cheers

tire iron
Old July 27, 2005, 12:30 PM   #5
tire iron

Here are some pictures of my “Liger” in two different pant styles and colors.

First one is tan dress slacks:

Next up is “blue-ish/grey” Cabela’s pants:

Here is a shot of the “Liger” under side load of an Safariland 6004 – note the total absence of any “roll” (besides the “roll” that is above the belt! LOL):

cheers

tire iron

Last edited by tire iron; July 27, 2005 at 01:10 PM.
Old July 27, 2005, 08:07 PM   #6
Monty

Another Liger Gun Belt review

Great review tire iron. I recently published a similar review here
http://www.tacticalgearreview.com/wo...n-belt-review/

It's a good belt but I think you liked yours a tad more than I did mine.

Appears we had similar areas of concerns given the benefits I think you were more willing to live with than downsides than was I. Think we both agree they have a pretty good product they will do well with although they may have trouble getting rid of those last few USN belts
Old July 28, 2005, 08:56 AM   #7
OBIWAN

Personally...any guy that is spending that much time looking at other guys ...shall we say....front/waist area....and noticing an "ugly" buckle.

Should stop

Not that there is anything wrong with that

And I like mens fashion as much as the next guy....whatever that means
Old July 29, 2005, 04:45 PM   #8
gunmoney

Liger? Anyone see Napoleon Dynamite
Old July 30, 2005, 08:48 PM   #9
sendec

Ligers DO have talons.
Old July 31, 2005, 02:10 PM   #10
brookstexas

Ack!

I'll wear one when the 80's come back. It will look great with a Members Only brand jacket....
BT
Old August 1, 2005, 06:56 PM   #11
PSE

one word...
"fugly"
ill stick to my boston
Old August 3, 2005, 03:33 AM   #12
Morgan

Quote:
I'll wear one when the 80's come back. It will look great with a Members Only brand jacket....
Don't forget your parachute pants!
Old August 7, 2005, 05:38 PM   #13
chris in va

Sorry, couldn't resist when I saw the topic title.