The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old August 4, 2005, 09:03 PM   #1
308Enfield

Knoxville CCW Classes

I'm finally making the move to get my Tennessee carry permit and obviously have to start with a CCW class. Does anybody have recommendations for a good class? I want a quality experience, obviously, but keep in mind that I'm a grad student and doing this on a budget. Thanks in advance for the help.
Old August 4, 2005, 10:02 PM   #2
22-rimfire

Just cruise out to Tamara's gun shop off Lovell Road (not the correct name) and they probably give the course there (just guessing) since they have an indoor range. If not, they will direct you to one locally and the cost runs about the same regardless of where its taken.
Old August 4, 2005, 10:45 PM   #3
308Enfield

"Tamara's gun shop off Lovell Road (not the correct name)"

Thanks for the input. I actually called Coal Creek Armory (the Lovell Rd. place) and they offer the classes on Saturdays with the exception, I think, of the third Saturday of each month. They're $85, though , which seems higher than what I've seen elsewhere. Nothing against Coal Creek, they stock good products and in my experience have good people working there, but a friend in Johnson City thinks I can get a course up there for around $40. $45 is a lot of ammo
Old August 4, 2005, 11:04 PM   #4
22-rimfire

Johnson City is a pretty good drive from Knoxville. You'll spend a third of what you saved on gas. Call Legends in Athens (423) 746-2321. They will also be able to direct you. If you have never visited Legends or Benton Shooter's Supply (in Benton TN), it is worth the trip to see all the guns and stuff. Very Very cool stores! Prices that I have run into have been in the $60 to $85 range typically.
Old August 5, 2005, 09:44 AM   #5
308Enfield

Thanks for the great info, this forum is proving really useful and I've only been a member for a couple of days Johnson City is about 1 1/2 hours away, but with friends up there I'd likely just make it a weekend; I agree it would be too far to drive for just a carry class and nothing else. As far as gun stores go, have you been out to Guns and More/Predator Custom Shop on Kingston Pike? For a small place they have a big selection of really high quality weapons of all kinds, including plenty of military surplus rifles, of which I'm a big fan.
Old August 5, 2005, 10:33 AM   #6
moonstone

Three is supposed to be one at Point Blank Indoor Firing Range in Johnson City on Sunday. $65, if I remember correctly.

http://www.pointblankindoorfiringrange.com/
Old August 6, 2005, 08:48 AM   #7
308Enfield

PointBlank is a pretty nice facility, I shot up there a few months ago before they changed ownership. If nothing else I'll at least forward this info to my friend up there; he's a cop and their membership special might be pretty good for him. Thanks for the tip.
Old August 6, 2005, 10:03 AM   #8
moonstone

They are definately having the class Sunday. $65 1pm-9pm
Old August 6, 2005, 07:34 PM   #9
mtn. man

Its been awhile so the price may have changed but the cheif of police in Tazewell Tn does this one Sat. each mo for 50 bucks.
Old August 7, 2005, 03:41 AM   #10
GLM

I used to work in Johnson City and was under the impression that Point Blank had closed it's doors. Was I mistaken or have they just recently re-opened? Of course the mill where I worked shut down a couple of years ago, so it's been awhile since I've been in that part of Johnson City. For what it's worth, Walters State Community College in Morristown has CCW classes, as does the Greeneville Technology Center.
Old August 7, 2005, 06:31 AM   #11
blume357

price is relative

Don't know specifically about Tenn. But in S.C. on first look the CWP is simple then you realize you are dealing with the government and if one little thing on the paper work is wrong... there you are. I just recently did the course here in S.C. and used a guy listed on the Packing dot org site. They charged $135 and this included the $50 state fee. Once I went thru the 8 hour course everything was done... certified copy of DL, finger prints, photo... paperwork checked and etc... I told them they should charge more for what they give you in service.

Oh, and they mailed all the needed stuff for you along with a cashiers check... once you left the class / qualifying range you were done.

So, my advice is find out what the different places offer...
Old August 7, 2005, 08:27 AM   #12
moonstone

I'm not aware of anyone in the tri-cities that does all of that for you. I'm not to sure they would be allowed to do the fingerprints anyway.

Point Blank has been open a few years but changed hands this year. Just got their FFL.
Old August 7, 2005, 09:30 AM   #13
308Enfield

It sounds like SC has a system that's more simple. As I understand it, in TN you have to personally go to a driver's license testing station with the certificate from your training class and all the other paperwork to pay and be fingerprinted. I don't think 3rd parties can do that. Also, our state fee is $115. Regardless, I'm mostly just happy that carry permits and reciprocity between states has made such great progress. I'm willing to pay for it, I'm just trying to spend as little as possible.

Thanks to everybody for your inputs so far, its been really helpful!
Old August 7, 2005, 09:47 AM   #14
twelve56

Pellissippi State does the CHL class for $75 (unless you sign up 10 days before the class, then it's $65).

No idea as to the quality of the instruction, I saw an ad yesterday and that's all I know.
Old August 7, 2005, 01:05 PM   #15
moonstone

I believe the Sheriff's dept. in Johnson City has the class for $40. I have no idea when or how often or who to call. I also believe it is an outdoor range. It has been raining alot lately, I don't know if it gets cancelled due to weather.
Old August 8, 2005, 07:40 AM   #16
308Enfield

Pellissippi?

"Pellissippi State does the CHL class for $75 (unless you sign up 10 days before the class, then it's $65).

No idea as to the quality of the instruction, I saw an ad yesterday and that's all I know."

twelve56 - This is the first I've heard of Pellissippi doing a class, could you tell me where you saw the ad? Thanks!
Old August 8, 2005, 07:50 AM   #17
buzz_knox

Quote:
As far as gun stores go, have you been out to Guns and More/Predator Custom Shop on Kingston Pike? For a small place they have a big selection of really high quality weapons of all kinds, including plenty of military surplus rifles, of which I'm a big fan.
There are three gun shops worth visiting in Knoxville: Guns and More/Predator (separate entities in the same facility), Coal Creek, and Frontier Firearms at exit 356A on I-40. Between those, you can get anything you want and at a reasonable price. Frontier even has Ed Browns, although with the normal markup the price becomes a wee bit less reasonable by comparison.

If you hang out at Coal Creek long enough, I think you'll meet the entire the TFL contingent for most of the South East.
Old August 8, 2005, 11:29 PM   #18
twelve56

308 Enfield:

I saw the ad in the shooting/hunting section of the Bargain Mart (little half-size traders/used goods rag, you probably know it) while killing time in the office at my friend's tattoo shop.

It surprised me to see the ad, too.

A few friends of mine took their CCW instruction at Hill Creek Range off of Buttermilk Road in Lenoir City, and speak highly of the quality of the instruction there.
Old August 8, 2005, 11:31 PM   #19
twelve56

Frontier's owner managed to hack me off a while back, but everybody else there is great fun to be around. Seems like he's a little tightly wound, though.
Old August 9, 2005, 10:18 AM   #20
308Enfield

Pellissippi Class

For anybody who may be interested, I found the link for information on the Pellissippi State carry permit class. Its at http://www.pstcc.edu/bcs/personal.html#Handgun

It looks pretty good, this may be the one I go with.
Old August 9, 2005, 04:27 PM   #21
twelve56

It's cool that they're offering so much stuff like that.
Old August 9, 2005, 06:17 PM   #22
CarbineCaleb

My suggestion is to look not only at price, but also the curriculum, quality of teachers, etc... I was a grad student once, and face it - $50 vs $150 isn't going to break you. I'd look for a class with the most value, IMO.
Old August 9, 2005, 08:03 PM   #23
308Enfield

"My suggestion is to look not only at price, but also the curriculum, quality of teachers, etc"

I agree completely. The Pellissippi class is taught be an NRA certified firearms instructor, which I think says good things. He's obviously certified to teach the Tennessee Handgun Carry Permit classes as well, but from what I understand of it the NRA certification should be an indication of a quality instructor.

I do appreciate the advice, for something as serious as a carry permit I want to be sure I have good instruction.