The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 7, 2005, 02:47 PM   #1
DeltaWhiskey

Load for W231 and 115 grain Rainier 9mm?

Would any one you knowledgeable souls happen to have to have an answer for the above mentioned question? I'm tired of using Rainier bullets with Hodgdon powders because you have to seat them pretty deep and I'm too lazy to keep adjusting my set up between FMJs and Rainiers. I also have some W231 I want to use up. Please include OAL with any responses and thanks very much in advance.

Firing Line Forums members rock!
Old August 7, 2005, 03:20 PM   #2
Unclenick
Staff

Start with 3.3 grains loaded to 1.165-1.169” O.A.L. This is a target shooting load and is the low end load in the Midway loading data. Winchester’s manual has you run jacketed bullets on 4.3 or 4.4 grains of WW231, but the Ranier may be longer (I don’t have it’s dimensions) and reduced case powder capacity raises pressure, so start low. As you work the load up above about 3.8 grains, start watching for signs of undue fouling build-up. If you don’t get a fouling problem you can move up into the low 4’s.

Nick
Old August 8, 2005, 02:59 PM   #3
DeltaWhiskey

Thanks Nick!
Old September 10, 2005, 08:59 PM   #4
DeltaWhiskey

Tried a variation on this recipe today, got some poor results. Used the 115 grain Rainier over 4.0 grains of W231, seated at 1.168. Accuracy was adequate, recoil and report both on the mild side. Experienced numerous stovepipes and failures of the slide to lock back on an empty mag. I used my Springfield XD and a CZ 75B as a test bed for the rounds. I also experienced almost lethargic ejection from both pistols. The Springfield is kind of ammo picky and I really wasn't expecting a lot, but my CZ usually runs like a Swiss watch and I was surprised by the lacklustre performance it put on. The max load for a 114 grain lead bullet is 4.3 grains of W231, I'll try and bump up a little from the four grains that I was using.
Old September 11, 2005, 10:10 AM   #5
Russ5924

I was using W231 in my 9MM or should say trying to use.Was not happy with results at all. Got as high as 4.5 grains and was still getting keyholeing at 15 yards with 115 grain remington FMJ. Tried 124 grain LRN and still had the problem with 4.5 grains but not as bad.Think I want to try H110 but haven't got around to getting it yet.
Old September 11, 2005, 07:14 PM   #6
DeltaWhiskey

The best overall results I've gotten so far have been with Hodgdon HS 6. I've had a little success with Universal, also.
Old September 11, 2005, 07:18 PM   #7
rnovi

For what it's worth, I had some excellent results with Clays and the 9mm. clean burn, no powder fouling, good accuracy to 45 feet (the back wall of my indoor range...).

"Remember, Eagles may soar but Weasels don't get sucked into jet engines!"