The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old August 30, 2005, 11:06 AM   #1
20cows

My Worst Gun Store Experience

Imagine if you will:

There is a car dealership that sells both Ford and Chevrolet cars. (I know it'll never happen, but hear me out). The dealer there makes money whether you buy a Ford or a Chevy. A potential customer walks in, asks to look at a particular Ford and is accomodated by a salesperson. But as he looks and oohs and ahhs appropriately, the boss walks over and tells him the Chevy is a much better car. The customer politely informs the dealer that he does't care for Chevy's (he's a Ford man). The dealer proceeds to tell him that Fords are POS ad nausium. After the costomer relates a few statements of positive experiences with a Ford, he is further told a Ford is a piece of crap. The customer leaves with a sense that this is not a good plce to buy a car.

I was at a super Walmart this weekend, saw a Winchester 94 at a good price and asked a sales lady to see it. As I was looking at it admiringly (yeah, I like Win. 94's), the sports counter supervisor comes over and says the Marlin will shoot circles around that Winchester (I wonder now, did he mean group size?). I explained that I never really cared for Marlins and had had good luck with my Winchester. He basically told me (in not just a few words) the one I was holding was a piece of crap and I didn't know anything about it. I politely handed the carbine back to the sales lady and left.

The supervisor was mid-fityish and I could tell by his conversation with another customer that he was knowledgeable and otherwise friendly. Why did he behave in this manner to me? (I'm not a youngster, nor do I look like a neophyte).
Old August 30, 2005, 11:32 AM   #2
mete

They're out there for sure ! I remember a friend who decided to buy an expensive imported car. She made the decision, and had the money in her hand. All the dealer had to do was say 'good morning may we help you ? What color would you like?" They were so rude she left and went to another dealer !!...Just search for the good dealers and forget the rest.
Old August 30, 2005, 04:35 PM   #3
K-Man

The sports counter supervisor had no business saying/promoting one maker of gun over another, unless he had been asked for his personal opinion.

U.S. Navy (Retired)

May we always have the freedom to pursue our dreams.
Old August 30, 2005, 05:16 PM   #4
wayneinFL

If winchesters really are so bad why does he sell them? Supervisor is an idiot. Tells you you don't know what you're talking about? Smart guy.... Of course they're not on commission, so he's probably just happy he didn't have to do the paperwork and NICS.

BTW, Ford is junk.
Old August 30, 2005, 05:47 PM   #5
OJ

In my years of experience (79 as of 3 weeks ago), gun shops are the worst. I went to a large local shop (Specialty Sports) and had night sights insstalled on 3 Glocks - which was done without question. A couple of months later, Glock came out with upgrades for ejectors and I called to see if they had any in stock. The guy who claimed to be a Glock armorer gave me a hard time and wanted to know why I wanted them. I said that if Glock thought it was a good idea, so did I. He persisted in questioning me and stated he ccould reproduce any malfunctiopn by limp-wristing. I asked if he wanted to make the saale or should I go elsewhere and he said he would order the parts. Months passed and my calls were given short shrift. I finally got the parts from Glockmeister and installed them myself. First time I ever was asked to justify wanting to buy anything from any store (that wasn't detrimental to me). Evidently, the parts never came in. I got them in less than a week. My guess is, it's fine to install costly parts but, $10.00 parts aren't worth the time for that gun store.

That was the same store that sold me a USA 20 round magazine for my Mini 14. I returned it because it wouldn't feed 4 rounds without malfunction. I got a replacement and had the same experience. The third time I went back, I realized the mags I returned were tossed back into the same drawer that the "new" ones I was getting. Had to be the ultimate in "recycling". They refused to give me a refund and I had to take a magazine for one of my glocks worth about 2/3 what I paid for the Mini 14 mag.

They just opened a new larger store so I guess they can fool enough customers to make a go of things but I'll never enter thier door even if they were giving things away free.

:barf:
NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER
Old August 30, 2005, 05:52 PM   #6
Handy

You weren't in a gun store. You were at Walmart.

Every employee of Walmart could bad mouth every product in the store all day long, and Walmart would still be the biggest company on earth.
Old August 30, 2005, 07:13 PM   #7
chemist308

Quote:
I was at a super Walmart this weekend
Therein lies the problem. Just for fun sometime, go in there and ask what the rate of barrel twist is in that Winchester. Ask some specific questions about scope mounting--I bet they'd have you trying to mount a scope over the action. Also: you by it from WalMart, they walk you out the front door like criminal and if you have a problem forget about going back because they treat you worse...
one of my earlier posts on the subject
Old August 30, 2005, 10:40 PM   #8
JohnKSa
Staff

Send a "concerned" letter to Wal-Mart and tell them that they need to stop stocking Winchester rifles because X (get his name) at their Y store location, who appears to be quite knowledgeable about firearms, advised you that they are garbage and aren't worth buying. Tell them that you are worried that continuing to stock and sell these worthless rifles might damage Wal-Mart's reputation.

Better yet, don't send the letter, getting someone fired is a little cold-blooded, IMO.

Instead, type up and print a copy of the letter and take it to the Wal-Mart.

Go to the gun counter and thank Mr. X sincerely and repeatedly for helping you out and tell him that he opened your eyes. Then tell him all about the letter (show him the copy) and tell him how you sent it to Wal-Mart HQ. Gush about how his advice will soon be helping Wal-Mart customers EVERYWHERE!

Then tell him goodbye and walk away before he can recover enough to ask any questions.
Old August 31, 2005, 12:03 AM   #9
Cowled_Wolfe

Location: Washington... Land of the apple, and the apple maggot!
Quote:
Go to the gun counter and thank Mr. X sincerely and repeatedly for helping you out and tell him that he opened your eyes. Then tell him all about the letter (show him the copy) and tell him how you sent it to Wal-Mart HQ. Gush about how his advice will soon be helping Wal-Mart customers EVERYWHERE
I thought cruel and unusual punishment was illegal?

(\__/)
(='.'=)This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into
(")_(")your signature to help him gain world domination.
Old August 31, 2005, 12:19 AM   #10
Wildalaska

Quote:
You weren't in a gun store. You were at Walmart.
**** for Handy

WildbeatmetooitAlaska