The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old September 1, 2005, 10:30 PM   #1
bronicadave

620 vs 686 SW

Can someone elaborate the differences between these two models? I know the 620 has a 7 shot cylinder and semi-lugged barrel. The spec sheet also says 2 piece barrel. Is the 686 also a 2 piece barrel? Is the cylinder a larger diameter because of the 7 rounds? I have shot the 686 but my local range doesn't have a 620 on hand.
Old September 2, 2005, 04:15 AM   #2
CarbineCaleb

Hi Dave - well, I am not an expert on the internals, but since noone else is answering, will tell what I think, but take with a grain of salt... In design, I believe these two are virtually identical. In fact, I don't *think* there is much difference in basic mechanical design between any of the many S&W double action revolvers.

The 686 has, I believe the old style barrel. Some folks here get real worked up about the new two piece barrel. Personally, I don't get real worked up either way about it, and suspect for 99% of buyers, the difference is a nonissue.

As far as cylinder size between a 6 shot and 7 shot L-frame - I think it may be a bit bigger on the 7-shot yes. I saw a photo of the 619 (6-shot) vs 620:

...and it is a little bigger there.

Personally, I think the 620 is a little prettier with the half lug, but the 686P looks a bit more intimidating, and will have just a little less flip with that extra meat out there (I have the 4" 686P). Plus, if you're worked up about the two-piece barrel too, you'll sleep better with the knowledge that the construction method of your revolver has been in use for awhile.

Good luck,
Caleb
Old September 2, 2005, 11:00 AM   #3
BigBoar

620 vs 686 SW

I have not measured them so I do not know if the 6 shot cylinder is smaller than the 7. I do not know why the 7 shot would be bigger. Unless they change the frame dimensions not much would be accomplished as the frame dictates the dimension of the bore to axis of the cylinder. Given the cylinder width then having 6 vs. 7 shots does not change the amount of steel from the bore to outside of the cylinder but will change the width of the cylinder walls between chambers.

If you want 7 shots with the old style barrel perhaps you can find a 686 Mountain Gun somewhere as they do turn up occasionally. They are also 2 ounces lighter than the 620.

Last edited by BigBoar; September 3, 2005 at 12:58 PM. Reason: error