The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights > Legal and Political

Old October 16, 2005, 01:59 PM   #51
progunner1957

"Just doing my job"

Quote:
And just a few weeks ago the NG was going door to door in New Orleans confiscating weapons ... was that moral or legal ... did the NG refuse to carry out their orders?
When I was in the military ('85-'89), we were taught about lawful orders, unlawful orders and our duty to know the difference, as well as our duty to refuse to carry out unlawful orders.

It would appear that in today's military, all that has gone out the window and has been replaced with one standing order: Do what you are told and don't ask questions.

I remember seeing on TV from New Orleans one junior enlisted N.G. soldier telling a reporter that he "didn't want to think about the things he might have to do." The reporter asked, "you mean shooting American citizens?" The N.G. troop replied "yes."

What does that say about the state of our military, their "leaders" and the state of our nation??