The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Closed Thread

Old October 9, 2005, 01:01 PM   #1
donberry

A very long report on the hi point C9

No B.S., an actual report from an owner of a hi point. I am in no way an expert on weapons and this is the ONLY pistol I own. I do own various rifles, shotguns and a black powder rifle. Price paid for the Hi Point C9 was 129.00 out the door. Ammo used was Winchester Lugar Target Loads and the Remington Hollow Points.

The first thing I noticed when I held the C9 was the weight. It has a “high impact polymer” frame, just read that as plastic. Their website states it is high tech and very durable, but only time will tell on that. Now the slide, that is a different story. It is pot metal material that adds quite a bit of weight to the pistol. This is not a pistol I would want to carry as a concealed weapon just due to it’s weight. Mine came with a 8 round clip. It also has a plastic trigger.

It is pretty straight forward on the loading and safety which should be expected for a weapon of this price. It is a single action pistol, the safety is on the left side of the handle. Up for safety, down for fire. It also will not fire if a magazine is not loaded. This could be a quick safety feature if the pistol is used for home defense. You could have a round loaded and ready to go with the clip not fully engaged but in place. Just slap the clip as you pick it up and she is ready to fire.

First fire impressions. I used the Winchester target loads first. I loaded 8 rounds in the clip, stood 10 paces away and fired away. Not sure what to expect due to all the stuff I have read about it, she seemed to fire fine. Due to the weight of the pistol and according to their website, the polymer frame, the pistol has very little recoil. Women could fire this weapon with no problem. The 2nd round jammed though. I cleared the jam and the rest of the clip fired fine. I loaded 8 rounds again, and once again, the 2nd round jammed. Some quick research on the net (my “range” is my backyard) told me that until the clip is “broken” in, just load 7 rounds. Back to the “range”, I loaded 7 rounds and let her rip. Not a problem at all, no more jams. I started 10 paces away from the paper target just to see where she was shooting. I believe this was a used pistol, though it looked brand new, so the previous owner must have sighted it in. Most of the rounds were in the big circle, with 2 rounds right outside the circle.

The C9 has an adjustable rear sight which can be adjusted for windage and elevation. I was shooting a little low from the red circle on the target, so I did adjust the elevation a small amount.
loaded 7 more rounds, at 10 paces and she seemed pretty much right on. I was not using anything to rest the pistol on, just using a two handed grip. I am getting old and I am sure my technique is not so good anymore, but I hit the small red dot 3 times and the other 4 rounds were all close. Very satisfied with that, I went back to 25 big paces. The results were pretty much the same, though I did have a round that was not grouped well, they were all in the big circle with a few in the red. That could have been me shaking or pulling the gun, or maybe even the target ammo, but I definitely “killed” what I was shooting at.

As reliability seems to be an issue and my “range” is out the back door, over the next few days I put over 700 rounds through the pistol. After about a hundred rounds, I started loading 8 rounds per clip and never had another jam. The accuracy is very good for a pistol of this price and I blew away every pear on my tree. I did not notice any difference in accuracy between the hollow points or the target loads. I would occasionally get a small flyer, while in the big circle, it would not be grouped with the others. I attribute this more to me then the gun. Because of the light recoil, I found I was still very accurate (for me) using only one hand instead of two. Recoil is not an issue for this gun. I tried every way I could think of to fire the pistol with the safety’s engaged, but could not do it. I did a SMALL drop test, and dropped the pistol from my waist to the ground. No cracks, nothing broke and she still fired fine.

My conclusion. This is not a pistol I would conceal due to the weight. I am not sure I would stick it in my toolbox where other heavy metal was beating against it, I am not sure how the slide would hold up or the polymer frame. But I also would not stick a $800.00 Kimber in there either. I would be more apt to beat the hi point up and save my Kimber to hand down to my kids. This is a pistol that is very reliable when you pull the trigger. It is a pretty accurate weapon that consistently hits where you aim. I believe this is a good home defense pistol along with being a great plinker. I am not even remotely concerned about it jamming. Instead of grabbing the big guns, I can now grab the pistol if needed and know it will fire and hit where I aim.

I would trust this pistol with my life without thinking twice. Stripping the pistol down is not too great. It has a small pin you must knock out with a punch and hammer ( I actually used a small allen wrench to punch it out). You just lock the slide back using the slide lock and punch it out. Stripped down, it is a very simple weapon. No frills. You are supposed to strip it down every 1500 rounds. It does not bother me too much about this due to the purpose of the weapon in the first place. For home defense and plinking, I am not worried about taking the time to strip it down if need be. If I were carrying it and needed to strip it down, I would be screwed, wishing I had a better weapon. For about $200.00 you could buy a C9 and 1000 rounds of ammo and become very proficient in it’s use.
It is not a family heirloom nor a pistol that others will drool over at the range. It is a pistol that is very reliable so far and makes my wife feel much safer knowing she has a better choice then grabbing the rifle or shotgun in case it is needed. Plus it is the most fun you can buy for a hundred bucks. Long term reliability, who knows. I have shot another few hundred rounds thru it since and she still works like new. If she messes up after 10,000 rounds, I guess I will have to spend another hundred bucks and buy another.
If you buy a pistol to impress others……skip this gun. If you want a pistol for home defense or plinking…….I believe it to be a great bargain. As for the durability of the pistol, I am just curious how many times people drop and throw around their $800.00 pistols ? Would they have dropped it on the ground as I did the C9 ? I personally treat all of my weapons very carefully. I do tend to leave my Yugo SKS sitting on the ground or leaned against a tree as it was made for abuse, but I do not know many people who toss their guns around. If I wanted a gun that I could drop on concrete, I am not buying a C9, I do not think it would last long.
Many people shoot for a hobby and enjoy having the biggest baddest gun around - this is not for you.
Some people are concerned with aesthetics - this is not a pretty gun and not for you.
Some people worry about the "social stigma" and are concerned others at the range will laugh at their pistol - this is not the gun for you.
Some people do need a gun that can be beat round and take alot abuse - this is not a pistol i would recommend.
But some people could care less about what others think and want a good reliable pistol for plinking or home defense. There are other affordable pistols out there, but the hi point seems more readily available. I was actually looking for a CZ-52, but could not find one. I would guess they are built better being a military weapon, but the hi point will do everything I want it to do and highly recommend it to anyone who could care less about what others think but want an affordable , reliable pistol.

Last edited by donberry; October 9, 2005 at 02:46 PM.
Old October 9, 2005, 01:15 PM   #2
zejs1

Quote:
If she messes up after 10,000 rounds, I guess I will have to spend another hundred bucks and buy another.
It has a lifetime warranty. If it messes up (ever) send it back to have it repaired.
Old October 9, 2005, 02:17 PM   #3
USP45usp

Donberry,

First, thank you for the write up. I am one of the ones that really get upset when the gun snobs will bad mouth a gun that they got all their "expert" experience with on reading other gun snobs.

I own a Jennings and a AB-10 and haven't had any troubles from either, but am still looked down upon for owning them. Yet, I like them and I keep them.

Second, even through your write up was informative and interesting, it was hard to read. If you could add in some paragraph breaks, that would be great . It's easier to read and much more enjoyable to do so.

Again, thank you for your time on the write up. I may get a Hi Point just to test it out myself.

Wayne
Old October 9, 2005, 03:50 PM   #4
Te Anau

Good review.
Quote:
It is not a family heirloom nor a pistol that others will drool over at the range.
I actually have had shooters come up to me at the range and want to know what that 'cool looking" pistol is i'm shooting.Of course,mine is the deluxe,compensated model.
Old October 9, 2005, 05:53 PM   #5
CajunBass

Good write up. About what I would have expected based on my expeience with mine.
John 3:16 (NKJV)
Old October 9, 2005, 07:03 PM   #6
defjon

Damnit, I'm getting one in .45 now and I'm blaming you lot!
Old October 9, 2005, 07:57 PM   #7
sltintexas

Great write up! I have the 380 and 9mm carbine and love them!
Old October 9, 2005, 08:09 PM   #8
Jericho9mm

Quote:
I have the 380 and 9mm carbine and love them!
how would the .380 be as a gun for my wife?
i carry a gun with me but i want something at home that she can feel comfortable with that is not a large, heavy gun or a large caliber with a big kick. but something she can control and handle with relative ease, i would take care of it she would just have know how to fire it.
Old October 9, 2005, 08:38 PM   #9
CajunBass

I looked at the 380 when I got my 9mm and the only thing I didn't like about it was that it seemed the 380 was the same size as the 9mm. Since 9mm ammo is so inexpensive and with no apparent size advantage, I got the 9mm. Unless your wife is very sensitive to recoil, I'd go with the 9mm. My wife loves to shoot ours.

If she is, and it's to be an in house gun the 380 should be just fine.
Old October 10, 2005, 06:15 AM   #10
chris in va

Yup, just send it back if it starts to malf regularly. I bought a carbine from a gun show for $120 that had severe internal slide wear (previous guy didn't lube it at all) and a week or so later got practically a new gun back.

Good report.

PS...you gotta get a carbine. They're a LOT of fun.
Old October 10, 2005, 07:01 AM   #11
XavierBreath

Just tagging along to see the inevitable rumble.

I might have to pick one of these up if I can ever find one used.....I never see them used..........I wonder why?
Old October 10, 2005, 09:13 AM   #12
sltintexas

Quote:
how would the .380 be as a gun for my wife?
I got this 380 for my wife too. From what I hear, the large slide with blowback design minimizes the recoil, so I wish I had gotten the 9mm, just for the cheaper ammo like cajunbass said..but to answer your question, there isn't alot of recoil. I haven't heard any complaints from mine, nor my buddy's wife who has shot one too.

They really are great guns for the money..I bought mine new for $89. Gotta love it!
Old October 10, 2005, 02:15 PM   #13
Te Anau

Quote:
I never see them used..........I wonder why?
Because people who actually own them want to keep them.
Old October 10, 2005, 02:30 PM   #14
CajunBass

Quote:
might have to pick one of these up if I can ever find one used.....I never see them used..........I wonder why?
Oh come one Xavier. Take the plunge and get yourself a brand new one.
Old October 10, 2005, 02:37 PM   #15
donberry

used hi points

I understand where you were going with why you never see a used one for sale, but in order to make people understand it is actually a very reliable pistol for what it is, my opinion would be to not try to fan the flames.
I would guess there are a few reasons why people do not trade them in;

1. You would not get a whole lot for it to begin with. When they are only $129.00 to begin with, trade in value must be pretty darn low and not worth it.

2. life time warranty - if it breaks or messes up, send it in and have it fixed for free. I would think that eliminates alot of pistols hitting the pawn shops (not that people would try and pawn off a gun that they believed did not work well )

3. When and if people do move up to a different, nice pistol, they keep them. They are not going to get anything for a trade in or resale plus as they have actually owned one, I am guessing they realize they are not as bad as some people say and keep them for plinkers or an extra home defense weapon. I do not think I ever heard anyone say they had too many guns.
Old October 10, 2005, 09:08 PM   #16
Toney

WE have owned a 9mm and a 45acp, we liked the 45 the best. has been 100% reliable. My wife and daughter like it very well.
Old October 11, 2005, 07:07 AM   #17
Juna

I'm with you there on why people don't sell used ones. If I had one and then bought a nicer gun, I'd still keep the Hi-Point just as another gun b/c I wouldn't get much for resale and it has a no questions asked lifetime warranty (life of the gun, not the owner). Then I could have a gun for my wife's side of the bed and one for mine, as well. Any BGs breaking in would get a double can of whoop-ass headed their way!
Old October 11, 2005, 07:53 AM   #18
zejs1

Quote:
1. You would not get a whole lot for it to begin with. When they are only $129.00 to begin with, trade in value must be pretty darn low and not worth it.
The pawn shops around here always have at least a couple NEF shotguns, Marlin Model 60s and such. These guns always sell for well under a hundred dollars, so you know whoever pawned them didn't get jack for them.

I suspect it's not so much that people aren't pawning Hi-Points, but rather pawned Hi-Points don't spend much time on the shelf before they're sold.
Old October 9, 2008, 08:14 PM   #19
hannahsarabaylee

finding one used

For as inexpensive as these little pistols are, I would not bother with a used one. Go for the new one.

As for the pistol itself, I bought mine to take my conceal carry permit class with. In Oklahoma, if you take your class with a revolver, all you can carry is a revolver but if you take it with an automatic then you can carry both.

I am a big fan of the .357 and the .38. In my truck I like to keep my S&W model 10 and carry my Rossy snub nose. I have had to change though. My Hipoint C9 is great. I now carry it, leave the model 10 under the seat and my wife carry's the snub.

I would reccommend this pistol to anyone.

And by the way, I think it looks cool as well.

For those of you who want a big caliber, try the Federal Hydroshock. It will flat take care of business. I've seen what one of those babies from a .38 will do to a man when hit between the shoulder blades. Lets just say he was dead as dead can be.
Old October 10, 2008, 03:06 PM   #20
rwking

C-9

I love my C-9 and after I post this I'm going to the range, all this talk has gotten me excited and ready to go plinking.
Old October 10, 2008, 04:31 PM   #21
screenerglenn

+1

just bought the carbine last week or so and it's a reliable accurate rifle (well for about $100 it's accurate. thanks for the report, i've been looking at their pistols but to be frank, i was leery of such a low price. seen the .45 in south florida gun shows at about $165. thanks , glenn
Old October 10, 2008, 04:58 PM   #22
gregjc9

Congrats on your purchase, nice report, thanks for posting it. The C9 was my first 9mm, and my kids and I have really enjoyed shooting it. It isnt the tack driver my Sigs are, but I wouldnt expect it to be. Currently, my C9 sits in my nightstand, that is how comfortable I am with it. My Sigs are tucked away, but I expect the HD duty will soon be assumed by my P239.

Not sure if you've been to the Hi Point Forum, but it's got a lot of great info on the gun, and a lot of great and helpful folks there.
Old October 10, 2008, 05:19 PM   #23
Microgunner

You're kidding. People actually buy those things when a good used revolver can be had for about the same money? Will wonders ever cease? I'm definitely a Hi-Point hater. Good report though.
Old October 10, 2008, 05:31 PM   #24
OuTcAsT

Have to agree, I own a 9MM carbine (Lots of fun) and the .40 handgun, both have been fine. Certainly the least expensive weapons I have, but as good as any other, a GREAT value.

Does not morality imply the last clear chance? - WildAlaska -
Old June 7, 2009, 04:02 PM   #25
pictureman

hi point C9

I am on the waiting list for a C9 Compact at my local gun store.. It seems that they cant keep the darn things in stock. Now at $179 they are still a great bargain.. Have a "range friend" that has one as a carry weapon. He loves it.. Simple, low maintenance and dead on accurate. I have fired his several times and its is a nice handling weapon. At 25 OZ (empty) its a tad heavy, but I only carry when hiking,backpacking, camping and traveling. And of course to the range.. I currently shoot a Ruger bearcat .22 which I paid $39 for in 1971 and a Ruger Service 6, Which I still have and carried for yrs.. This will be my first Automatic... So as soon as my local Gun guy calls and tells me its in I will throw down the $179 and head for the range.
Closed Thread