The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old October 10, 2005, 08:41 AM   #1
tyme
Staff

VB upgrade issues

Yesterday, we upgraded the forums to vbulletin 3.5. This new version has some significant user interface changes, mostly relating to javascript.

Before you attribute problems to the new software, please make sure you have the new javascript and that your cookies aren't stale:

1. In most browsers, Ctrl-F5 should clear your cache and reload the current page. If you experience problems with buttons or menus, this will probably fix them. The long way is to manually clear your browser's cache.
2. If you're unable to log in or to stay logged in, you may have cookie problems. Delete any cookies from thefiringline.com and www.thefiringline.com and then try to log in again.

There may still be unresolved issues from the upgrade, but most common problems should be fixed by the above procedures. If they don't solve your problem, please post in the tech support forum.

Thanks.
“Who are you?” “A friend. I'm here to prevent you from making a mistake.” “You have no idea what I'm doing here, friend.” “In specific terms, no, but I swore an oath to protect the world...” (continuum)
“It's a goal you won't understand until later. Your job is to make sure he doesn't achieve the goal.” (bsg)
Old October 10, 2005, 05:57 PM   #2
Russ538

Ah, so that's what that was all about. I was scared to death yesterday! Couldn't get on TFL for a while there. I went through and tried to clean up my computer, deleting temporary internet files and cookies, and it finally worked not long after.

I now know what it's like for smokers who quit cold turkey.
Old October 10, 2005, 06:59 PM   #3
gddyup

Good job guys. I had no issues at all accessing the site. I played with VB before and it can be a real PITA to get things right where you want them. Great job and thanks for keeping the site going like gangbusters!

"Good judgement comes from experience and experience comes from poor judgement" - Unknown.

"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life." - Robert A. Heinlein
Old October 13, 2005, 03:45 AM   #4
Hal

http://java.sun.com/

Using the most current version of Java on the client side goes a long way to solving most problems.

The above link will take you to Sun where you can download the most current version, which @ the present is Version 5.0 Update 5.

After the download you should verify that you're running:
Java Runtime Version 1.5.0_05 .
Old October 13, 2005, 10:46 AM   #5
tyme
Staff

Java and javascript are entirely different creatures. Java is not used at all by TFL.
“Who are you?” “A friend. I'm here to prevent you from making a mistake.” “You have no idea what I'm doing here, friend.” “In specific terms, no, but I swore an oath to protect the world...” (continuum)
“It's a goal you won't understand until later. Your job is to make sure he doesn't achieve the goal.” (bsg)
Old October 14, 2005, 06:08 AM   #6
Hal

Oops!
Had Java on the mind and jumped the gun.
Old October 14, 2005, 09:43 AM   #7
n3twrkm4n

Stop talking about anything JAVA related... whenever I hear that nasty word I think bad thoughts and rock back and forth in the corner of the room. I've been programming them both and it becomes upsetting at times to say the least...

Great upgrade though I like the 'added' features of the message posting.