The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old December 10, 2005, 01:27 PM   #26
devlin02

I agree with Yorec. It's unethical. On my recent elk hunt I was confronted with this exact situation, involving a very nice bull, and I chose not to shoot. I feel that if you just can't let that animal get away without "trying" a shot at it you shouldn't be hunting in the first place.
Old December 11, 2005, 07:33 PM   #27
raktrak

Bung Shot

I won't say that its right or wrong cause we each have to live with what we choose to do. I have seen some awful things done by people who don't even give it a thought. I won't shoot Does, small Bucks , or a butt shot . I've killed as many as 16 bucks in a season when I was young,but passed up 37 legal Bucks last year and didn't get the big one I was hunting either. I found it to be a great year anyway cause I knew I let them walk. Age and experience has taught me that turning back the big fish and letting the deer pass to hunt OLD RUTHERFORD T. HATRACK is better.I'm hunting RUTHERFORD T. now and the rut just started. Saw him 3 days ago on my neighbors property. Maybe this years the one. He's 24" inside and likes the ladies.Why he's as square as a box car. Bet he's 300 lbs and hooks trees as big as a basketball. LORDY WHAT A DEER.