The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old November 26, 2005, 09:24 PM   #1
TacFan

Kahr PM9 ?

I know kahr had some manufacturing problems a few years ago but I was thinking of getting a PM9. WHat do you guys think ? Is it worth it ?

I have heard a lot of good things about this gun.
Old November 26, 2005, 09:51 PM   #2
Matt Sutton

I owned and carried one for about a year. It's biggest strength is its size (or lack thereof). IMO, you can do a lot better for the same money if you don't mind a slightly larger weapon. They use a cheap bead blast finish, their frame mouldings are not nearly as precise as Glock's, HK's, or even Ruger's. They most definitely require a break in period. IMO, they are pushing a Kel-Tec quality product at a SIG price.
If you absolutely can't carry anything larger than the PM9, then go for it. If you can carry larger, look at a SIG p239 or a Glock 26.
Old November 26, 2005, 09:53 PM   #3
Greg Bell

I have one at it has been 100% reliable. It can be a little rough on your hands (recoil is snappy), but it will reward you with good accuracy if you do your part. I put XS big dots on mine. A neat gun that represents the best of the breed, IMHO.

GHB
Doomsday: Colt 6920 with Aimpoint t-2
Old November 26, 2005, 10:06 PM   #4
Lou22

My PM9 is accurate for a DAO and has been reliable after the 200 round break-in. It'll handle +P and +P+ loads without excessive recoil. I carry Ranger 115gr +P+.

Lou
Old November 26, 2005, 10:15 PM   #5
TacFan

Thanks for the replies. I was a little worried after reading that kahr sticky thread

I do like it's size, it would make for a great ankle gun. I saw a used one for $495 but I would rather get a new one for $550. I just have to make sure it was manufactured recently.
Old November 26, 2005, 11:57 PM   #6
3CI

Well, everyone is different, but here is my two cents:
I like to carry my PM9 and it is the pistol I most often have with me. It is not a range gun; I have H&K's, 1911s, and Sigs for that. It is a very small, reliable, reasonably powerful, easily concealed weapon. That is why it gets carried so much.

Prior to the PM9, I usually carried a J frame revolver. I liked the size and weight, and the fact that it blended in with my clothing whether in a business suit or blue jeans.

The recoil on the PM9 is very light to me. Since I usually shoot .45s, I find it easy to control. The pistol is quite reliable after breaking in, but watch how you rack the slide for the first round. If you are sloppy, you might have some hangups. This is a small pistol. If you use the slide release and let it chamber the first round, you'll never have a problem.

I would never sell this pistol.
Old November 27, 2005, 12:36 PM   #7
RsqVet

NO not all of the problmes have been solved, nor are the problmes limited to the polymer guns---

I bought a MK 9 this time last year, to start with it had poor finish, had a semi-buggered screw head on the grips and burrs inside on the frame rails --- not in a critical area but still looked like hell, plus had lots of chatter marks evident where cuts were made on the gun --- as they say in machine work when it comes to stainless "speeds and feeds" anyone know what I'm talking about? Or maybe try a sharp tool?

Not good for some world famous (if you read their propoganda) CNC machine shop

Oh and the gun did't work for the first several hundred rounds I shot it --- a FTF or more every mag

So I contact the factory --- they say shoot it more, it's breaking in --- it was way beyond thier break in period --- and it's BS to boot becuse a gun should work or be dam near 100% out the box not a FTF every mag --- what am I doing with my money and ammo?? --- puting the finish on the parts the factory should have!!! --- look at the Kahr guns they bead blast the bearing surfaces of their barrels --- See any other gun makers out there doing that???

Also their locking surfaces on the barrel hood are pitifully small -- mine started peening sub 1000 rounds --- could put an index card between the barrel window and hood!!!

So the gun goes back to them courtesey of my friendly gun shop --- comes back with the cosmetics not fixed --- still has a buggered grip screw -- why waste 5 cents on a customer, they have already been bleed dry, and it's very, very dirty -- tons of power residue on the thing -- It went back to them clean so they shot the heack out of it with some dirty ammo and did't even have the courtesy to clean it, wipe it off, spray it down with brake cleaner --- nothing --- again great attitude towards customer service.

The kicker? Dam thing still does not work post factory service --- the buffed the feed ramp, policced the extractor and replaced it's spring -- to no avail still a FTF every mag... or more ---wet with oil or grease, dry or dam near, limp wristed, not-limpristed, JHP, Ball, +P, me, another shooter --- nothing solved the reliability problem and I said screw this I can not trust this gun and have no use for it.

I have never had such significant problems with a new wepon, not such poor customer service, in fact I can't recall any product that I have bought that costs as much as the dam Kahr did, and that had such abismal customer service --- the guys at the gun shop were apoligizing when we took it out of the box and saw how dirty it was.

I can NOT reccomend Kahr -- I think the company and quite possibly the product are flawed, with a quality company maybe they could push the limits and make a 9x19 pistol in that size, but what I saw and experianced was poor design, execution and engineering --- if it had been the price of a hi-point or a kel-tek and did't perform out the box but by chance I got it to be reliable and it proved it's self over many thousands of rounds it woudl have maybe been worth it, at 600 dollars or so it's a RIP-OFF

I got a glock 26 and a sig 232 now and could not be happier with either one of them --- the 26 can be had a little chaper or on a par with the Kahr, the 232 will run you a little more. The 26 I carry very frequently, the 232 I use when I want a gun that I'll never know is there as it's super thin.
Old November 27, 2005, 02:40 PM   #8
Greg Bell

Quote:
I got a glock 26 and a sig 232 now and could not be happier with either one of them --- the 26 can be had a little chaper or on a par with the Kahr, the 232 will run you a little more. The 26 I carry very frequently, the 232 I use when I want a gun that I'll never know is there as it's super thin.
I am sad to hear that you have gotten such a raw deal from Kahr. I hope that Glock doesn't treat me the same when I call them about the 17 they sold me that shoots ~4 inches to the left from a rest. Further, it had factory night sights so you would think they would have bothered to sight it in (or maybe they did and they saw how awkward it looked with the sight all the way to the right). Everybody makes a lemon, what is important is how they make it right. My PM9 has been totally problem-free with more than 1000 rounds through it in the past few years, so hopefully I won't have to deal with customer "no-service."
Doomsday: Colt 6920 with Aimpoint t-2
Old November 28, 2005, 03:47 AM   #9
arp415

I have a kahr k9 elite model, and i could not be happier with it. The added weight of the metal frame makes the recoil extremley managable. As far as the customer service goes they have always been there when i had questions, although i have never had any problems with the gun (there were massive failure to fires during break in (which stated at 200 rounds in the manual) However, i tried the same ammo(dirty cheap ammo) in another gun and found that it must just be the primers. I have since had zero problems. Others i have talked with who had problems with their guns, all had good experiences with the customer service, and got their guns back in excellent working condition. Get one that is a recent manufacture and you should have not problems.
Old November 29, 2005, 12:56 PM   #10
Jiml3

Add my 2 cents. I have the PM9 and have only good things to say about it!
Works every time. No failures of any kind. This is a keeper that I will never sell.

Jiml3
Old November 29, 2005, 01:06 PM   #11
steveracer

I sold two Kahrs..

... and bought three Makarovs, one P-64, and my GP-100.
I would carry a Makarov over the P-9 I had any day, and the P-64 over the MK-9.
Slightly less power, INFINATELY more reliable. Plus, I grew up in the same town as the Unification Church's US headquarters, and they scare me. A lot.
Old February 15, 2009, 12:45 AM   #12
15AcreWoods

I have had my CW9 for over a year now and have put 500+ rds thru it with no problems. I have a S&W 686 2 1/2" and a Ruger SP101 2 1/4" for CCW carry also, but now go almost 100% with the Kahr.
\"I know whom I have believed, and am persuaded that He is able to keep that which I have committed unto Him against that day.\" 2Tim1:12
Life NRA member since 1974 Go Army SFC
Old February 15, 2009, 04:21 AM   #13
NWCP

I carry my PM9 almost exclusively in the summer. It's been totally reliable and is well made IMHO. I don't even realize I have it on my person as the day goes by. I'd recommend it to anyone looking for a true subcompact in 9mm.
Old February 15, 2009, 04:24 AM   #14
Playboypenguin

I just picked mine up today. I avoided polymer Kahr's for a long time because of early problems. Once I saw those problems fade away and noticed that no new real issues were being presented and that all the new reports seemed positive I ventured into the Kahr polymer line-up by first buy the CW9. I was so impressed with it I immediately ordered a PM9 for use at work.

I hope to get it to the range tomorrow so I can give a quick report on it.

It is very well put together and almost as small as my Rohrbaugh, but it is half the price.
Old February 15, 2009, 12:32 PM   #15
varoadking

I've had an MK9 '98 Elite for some time now, and bought a black PM9 last month. They are both very accurate, reliable and concealable. The MK9 is easier to shoot, but the light weight of the PM9 makes it the ideal carry piece...IMHO..
Old February 15, 2009, 04:47 PM   #16
OldCorp

I've had my PM9 for about 2.5 years. Yep, it had a few FTF's during the break-in period. After that, 100% reliable with everything. It's my 'summer carry' when I'm usually in cargo shorts or similar. Carry ammo is usually CorBon 115 gr. +P JHPs.
Old April 2, 2009, 07:12 PM   #17
firemedicmfd

firemedicmfd

I'm not sure what Mr. Sutton talking about but the Kahr has had a very good track record and kel-tec had had some problems. Seems as though he thinks bigger is better for concealability. Kahr in my mind is a very good CCW.
Old April 2, 2009, 07:23 PM   #18
Matt Sutton

Quote:
I'm not sure what Mr. Sutton talking about but the Kahr has had a very good track record and kel-tec had had some problems. Seems as though he thinks bigger is better for concealability. Kahr in my mind is a very good CCW.
Mr. Sutton was expressing his his opinion (3 years ago) that he expects more by way of fit and finish from a $550+ firearm. Wavy frames, tool marks, and bead blast finish don't cut it at that price point.

Welcome to the forums.
Old April 2, 2009, 07:55 PM   #19
Keech

I bought a Kahr PM9 about five years ago and have been very satisfied with it. During a 500 rd break-in period it had three FTFs and 2 FTLockbacks. After that it has been great. It now has about 1100 rounds through it and I carry it daily. Very concealable...hardly notice I have it on with the proper holsters.
Keech
Old April 2, 2009, 09:52 PM   #20
redstategunnut

I have a new PM9. I love it. It travels with me often. 100% reliable even during the "break in" period.
Old April 2, 2009, 10:56 PM   #21
Ben

As much as I love my PM45, I think I would stick with their all-steel guns. I can tell you that Kahr will stand behind their product if you do ever have a problem though.

Ben
Old April 3, 2009, 12:34 AM   #22
NWCP

The Kahr PM series of pistols are not daily shooters in my opinion. Something tells me my HK USPs will have a longer range life than the polymer framed PM9 ever would. Then again it wasn't made for high volume shooting. It is an accurate, reliable small CCW pistol that does exactly what it is supposed to. Besides, the small framed pistols are not the most comfortable to shoot all day at the range. It's a belly gun made for tight situations when you can't carry a full size service pistol, but want a round that will get the job done from a gun that will go bang when you pull the trigger, which is by the way the smoothest DAO trigger on the market IMHO.
Old April 22, 2009, 07:35 PM   #23
m1mike

Kahr PM9 problem

I recently purchased a Kahr PM9. During the break in period of 200 rounds at about number 120 I experienced a major mal function. When I pulled the trigger I heard the dreaded click. Prior to clearing the round form the chamber I noticed the tip of the recoil spring was sticking out about ΒΌ inch. The slide also sticking out the same. I was able to continue pulling the trigger and apparently it was cocked because it continued to dry fire. I continued pulling the trigger 3 more times and each time it sounded as if he hammer had dropped. I removed the magazine and a round fell out. There was also a round in the chamber. Usually I am very careful when cleaning and reassembling a fire arm. I have no idea what happened. I am fairly sure the recoil spring was in the proper position. I called technical support at Kahr and they are sending me a recoil spring and a recoil spring guide. After thoroughly cleaning it I decided to try again with the old recoil spring. 100 rounds later no malfunctions. Worked beautifully. When the new recoil spring arrives I will replace the old one and try again, maybe. My question is what happened? I am going to be using this as my primary carry peace and naturally would like to know.
Old April 22, 2009, 08:05 PM   #24
pfsgators

I now have 300+ rounds thru the PM9 with NO issues.
Old April 22, 2009, 08:45 PM   #25
OldCorp

Took mine out yesterday and used up about 100 rds. The gun now has about 1k through it now and never seems to have a problem.
Tried some '+P+' through it, it's a handfull!