The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Closed Thread

Old January 23, 2006, 10:51 AM   #1
Hamjack

My first line of home defense.....

Anyone coming through my back door uninvited has gotta be nuts! That's 300 pounds of Rhodesian Ridgebacks (Lion Hounds). Dinah, Zappa and Chunga.

Old January 23, 2006, 10:55 AM   #2
#18indycolts

very beautiful dogs. My first line of D are 2 pitbulls and an english mastiff...450 lbs total. My mastiff is 230, both pits are 110 lbs each. Any idiot getting past them then has to deal with a rem. 870 w/ 00 buck then a walther P99 .40 w/ 165 g. hydrashoks.
Old January 23, 2006, 11:22 AM   #3
Hamjack

Sounds like great dogs. Hey, who'd a thunk your Colts and my Pats would both be sitting on the sidelines at this time of year?
Old January 23, 2006, 11:26 AM   #4
EBF

My neighboor used to have a couple of those. Great dogs. The ones he had were great with his kids and obviously very effective for home protection.
Old January 23, 2006, 11:29 AM   #5
#18indycolts

Ham- I guess pittsburgh finally came with it, I'd like to see seattle win it. Have you seen the schedule for next year? colts are playing in foxboro, AGAIN! Oh well, be careful out there.
Old January 23, 2006, 11:45 AM   #6
urbanassault

+1 for the pups, my 870 works as backup for my Presa Canario!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dutchess.jpg (151.2 KB, 430 views)

Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum
Old January 23, 2006, 11:56 AM   #7
#18indycolts

hey urban, awesome dog...from the pic, I'd swear that was a pit.
Old January 23, 2006, 12:01 PM   #8
urbanassault

Very similar to a pit with a bigger build. She is a Presa Canario, a dog bread for fighting in the canary islands. She isnt huge, little bigger than a female pit but much prettier and an awesome dog with kids, but tough as nails when needed. She is a small one, the males are HUGE compared to pits and much stronger and much more expensive. Shes probably between 80-90lbs in that pic but only 1 year old.

Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum
Old January 23, 2006, 12:28 PM   #9
FirstFreedom

Some very nice Ridgebacks. Please post your address so I'll know where not to break in, should I turn to a life of crime.
Old January 23, 2006, 01:24 PM   #10
#18indycolts

urban-just tell me that you don't fight your dogs or condone it. btw, you of all people should know that its how you raise your animals...my pits are excellent around kids, very loving. its the people who abuse em that should be shot.:barf:
Old January 23, 2006, 01:50 PM   #11
urbanassault

Definitely do not fight the dog, she is treated the same as any other member of the family. Presas are fighting dogs however and that is what they were bred for. She only has cropped ears because she would look like a dope without. She is pretty good with kids but a little pushy when she needs attention.

Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum
Old January 23, 2006, 02:08 PM   #12
Trip20

All I've read about them says they were bread for driving cattle.
Old January 23, 2006, 02:43 PM   #13
Handy

Quote:
you of all people should know that its how you raise your animals...my pits are excellent around kids, very loving.
Until they aren't. Aggressive dog breeds frequently become "trouble" as they get old. They are no less powerful then, just have shorter tempers. I don't trust pit bulls or any other dog bred for its aggressive nature - nor should I. I find owners of such dogs go to great lengths to assure you of their dog's good nature, and the rest of the time explaining all the little bits of behavior they advise you to avoid around the dog.

A working size dog with keen hearing that barks excitedly at visitors makes for just as good a guard of your property without the looming spectre of the dog turning on someone. Mistreated some pit bulls might be, but you never hear of collies or setters tearing people apart.

If a barking dog isn't enough to stop someone, an attack dog is just going to be the first thing shot, maced or tazered when the bad guy breaks in.

What does this have to do with handguns?
Old January 23, 2006, 02:50 PM   #14
urbanassault

You are correct it has nothing to do with handguns and will soon be closed. You are totally of the mark when you say that they cannot be trusted or are not to be trusted, bad dogs are bad because they are treated so, a dog with a bad rap like pits and rots and presas dont just go bad. That is a falsification by the press and other yuppies trying to get the dogs put down, just like people who say guns kill people. I have had many pits and rots that have been very old and never did they turn on a person. You are buying in to the stereotypes in the media. And a large attacking dog (like a pit or rot) is not likely going to respond to tazers and spray so I would suggest you do not try that. 2 years ago a pit was attacking a lady, she rand up on the car and the police put like 3 or 4 rounds of 9mm into it before it was subdued. It is people like you that give these dogs a bad name and people with very similar ideas that give guns a bad name, and it makes me sick.

Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum
Old January 23, 2006, 02:51 PM   #15
urbanassault

trip 20

Quote:
Since the 16th century, the Presa Canario has been mentioned in documents of the Canary Islands. It is assumed that it was introduced into the Islands by the Conquistadors and Spanish Colonialists. With time and in the isolation it has become a breed in its own right. It is also believed that it has been influenced by other breeds from Great Britain, Cuba, etc.. The Presa Canario is known to be a cross between the Olde English bulldogge, English Mastiff, and the fiery Bordino Majerro Cattle Dog. What is certain is that this dog, of sizeable body and head and extraordinary temperament, has always been used in the Canary Islands to guard farms and cattle.
They were not bred to herd cattle but to protect cattle.

Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum
Old January 23, 2006, 03:02 PM   #16
Handy

So which is it?

First you say the dogs are totally trustworthy, then preach about how they will continue to attack an intruder even when maced.

I was not speaking of any sort of media perception, but my own experience around such breeds, as well as the obvious observation that truly well tempered dogs almost never attack, even when very poorly treated.

You know, this is a little like some gun debates. Pundits insisting that no gun is any more dangerous than any other, even in the face of the statistics of self-inflicted injuries come in.

The other "problem" is that pit bulls don't come with big "I've been mistreated" stickers on them. Other dog breeds will act weird if they don't like people, not try to kill them.

I'm sure you find me close minded - but that is exactly how I would describe anyone I've ever met who is an enthusiast for some sort of poorly received item - defensive and unrealistic. It is a dog bred for killing. Without any training, my pointer tended to point, my shephard tended to herd - breeding matters.
Old January 23, 2006, 03:15 PM   #17
superpelly

Urban, If you stare at your dog for 10 seconds, it appears that it turns into a black couger.
Old January 23, 2006, 03:16 PM   #18
urbanassault

Quote:
First you say the dogs are totally trustworthy, then preach about how they will continue to attack an intruder even when maced.
No you know nothing about the history of the attacking dog. It was treated very poorly and malnurished. My dogs never attacked anybody.

Quote:
I was not speaking of any sort of media perception, but my own experience around such breeds, as well as the obvious observation that truly well tempered dogs almost never attack, even when very poorly treated.
Youve been attacked by one? Your family has? Ive been attacked my a jack russel terrier and a chow, both family dogs, just stereotyping one kind of dog is VERY narrow minded and it seems to have little validity except that they were ONCE bred for fighting and thus are very powerfull. Youre views are very stereotypical.

Quote:
You know, this is a little like some gun debates. Pundits insisting that no gun is any more dangerous than any other, even in the face of the statistics of self-inflicted injuries come in.
That is the same idea, so are you suggesting some guns are dangerous and some are not? Maybe you should read a gun safety manual or take some classes, also a very ignorant statement. So a AR-15 is more likely to kill people than a revolver because the military uses it (similar gun) to kill people? More people are killed by some saturday night special or a glock than AR's.

Every thing you have said is stereotypical and somewhat hypocritical, I really think you should get rid of your guns and everybody elses around you because somebody does have the chance of getting killed by one, its just a fact that guns kill people, kinda like pitbulls. And you mentioned you had a German Shepherd, talk about a dog with a bad rap. Think about what you say before you hurt yourself or say something so ignorant.

Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum
Old January 23, 2006, 03:19 PM   #19
urbanassault

Quote:
Urban, If you stare at your dog for 10 seconds, it appears that it turns into a black couger.
Yeah kinda, guess I never stared at her that long besides she usually has a big drip of drool running out of her mouth and looks like a tard if she sits in the same place for 10seconds.

Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum
Old January 23, 2006, 03:29 PM   #20
urbanassault

The other problem with some breeds is because they have accquired the reputation of being tough even killers that attracts some less than desirable people to those breeds. Almost cany dog can be made into a dangerous animal if trained to be so. Also because there is a certain group taht wants their dogs to be agressive some individuals (I won't call them breeders) actally will attempt to breed agressive animals. Also the mere popularity of a breed can lead to may unknowledgable individuals getting into breeding. Since they are only concerned with making a fast buck and not improving the breed they get sloppy breeding dogs with genetic and behavioral issues. It is my understaning that the rottie are one breed that has suffered from that type of breeder. Rotties were traditionally considerd a great family dog great with children
In 2002 Dachshund in southern Maryland that mauled an infant. It chewed through the playpen to get to the kid and nearly killed the kid. (Gnawed a big old hunk off the femoral artery)
German Shepards have a very high numbers for attacks.

Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum
Old January 23, 2006, 03:39 PM   #21
texdawg

ridgebacks

beautiful dogs hamjack!!!!!
Old January 23, 2006, 04:29 PM   #22
High Planes Drifter

Hamjak, how are Ridgebacks with kids?
Old January 23, 2006, 04:37 PM   #23
American4guns

all i can say is handy your way off on this one.next topic!
Old January 23, 2006, 04:38 PM   #24
DAWGTRAXX

Woof

love these pics
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tennessebirddogs.jpg (111.6 KB, 47 views)
Old January 23, 2006, 04:39 PM   #25
Handy

Quote:
And you mentioned you had a German Shepherd, talk about a dog with a bad rap.
I had a collie mix, which is a shepard, IE: it herds sheep. I agree with you about the German Shepards. They are a good example of what I'm talking about. Defensive owners, warning you while moaning about the "bad rap" their somewhat unpredictable dog has.

You also didn't follow the gun discussion. I was talking about the safety and trigger systems - I don't know where you got your AR-15 thing from - a little hard to accidentally shoot yourself with a rifle.
Quote:
all i can say is handy your way off on this one.
Why, because I observed that a dog bred for certain characteristics might be more likely to express those characteristics? Retrievers like to go get the ball. What do pit bulls like to do?
Closed Thread