The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old January 30, 2006, 09:50 PM   #1
Erich88

What's better,An FN FAL or an M1A ?

I've been weighing the differences between the two (semi-auto only) and I still haven't made up my mind on which one to buy. I am looking for feedback from people who have experience with these rifles.
Old January 30, 2006, 10:22 PM   #2
solvability

I have 2 FALS and like them a good bit - both a rifle version and a Paratrooper Carbine style. The good thing about a FAL is that you can get a good one for a good bit less than a M1a. Properly setup FAls are very reliable - generally 2.5 moa guns out of the box. The FALS are also sort of modular - change the character a lot with a change of the lower - not quite so easy with the M1a.

falfiles.com is the source of Fal information.
Old January 30, 2006, 10:47 PM   #3
Wildalaska

Here it is from a fan of both:

1. Ergonomics: M1A hands down especially for smaller folks.

2. Scope Mounting: M1A...you can mount lower. Fal Mounting can be cheaper. Check welds better on M1A

3. Accuracy for Standard out of the box models: Tie

4. Field stripping: Fal is easier.

5. Battle toughness: The M1A is still in first line service in a real army. The FAL is not. Edge by a hair to M1A

6. Ninja Factor: FAL looks cooler

WildirefusetoconsidercostAlaska
Old January 30, 2006, 11:30 PM   #4
Fal 4 Me

Just a point of contention with Wildalaska, the FAL is still used by many countries across the globe. Over 90 nations adopted the FAL at one point or another. The M-14/M1A was never as popular. But then again, I doubt Wildalaska considers these real armies. "should've added the it's all good, I'm only joking smiley here"

Last edited by Fal 4 Me; January 31, 2006 at 12:24 AM.
Old January 31, 2006, 02:20 AM   #5
Wildalaska

The only real Army that used the FAL in batle IIRC were the Brits up to the Falklands War and thereafter, and the Rhodesian anti terr fighters.

I'm well aware of the 90 Armies figure and thats is fine, thats a tribute more to FNs marketing than weapon superiority.

And you're right I dont consider the use of the FAL by the..oh say how about the Storm Mechanized Troop Army of the Sanjak of Novi Pazar to be a real world endorsement, especially where their mechanization is a donkey

But hey, I do have Blake Steven's book somewhere

WildtheblackrifleAlaska
Old January 31, 2006, 08:18 AM   #6
AZta2guy

I happen to own both. While I love the M1 for the cool nestalgia factor and the ergos for me are very good, I have to admit the nod goes to my DSA. It is a para and it rocks. It is only because I love the black rifle and I love the coolness of it all. Though when I want to get down to serious bench shooting I go back to the M1. When I go troloping in the desert(which is most of my shooting) and play like I am Jon rambo it is the DSA. Then again as was said the FAL platform is real easy to strip and clean. With the modular design of the FAL I am able to change up the look when I have given componets to achieve the look I want. Of course buying the DSA was a very good excuse to buy an ACOG that I wanted and could not see mounting to one of my AR"s.

Hope that helps
Old February 1, 2006, 04:19 PM   #7
arizcowboy

I use my M1As for target shooting and my DSA FAL for desert fun. Get both and you won't have this dilemna.
Old February 3, 2006, 02:27 AM   #8
Erich88

In response to arizcowboy: I agree. The problem is that I can barely afford one of these, that's why I'm doing plenty of research so I can choose the right one for my needs.
Old February 17, 2006, 05:08 PM   #9
losvaqueros

M1a
Old February 17, 2006, 06:03 PM   #10
Omaha-BeenGlockin

Had a M1A----didn't like it------have a DSA now---sweetness---and not going anywhere.
-------Metallica
Old February 17, 2006, 06:47 PM   #11
AK103K

I've owned a few of both, I only have M1A's now.

None of my FAL's were what I'd call accurate. Only one of three, a real FN, was reliable. If you get a "kit" gun, shoot it first and make sure it works, there's a lot of trash out there.

The M1A is accurate and reliable, and requires no fiddling with to shoot. It has very good, solid, repeatable sights, something most FAL's lack. Its also a truly ambidextrous rifle as it comes.

If you throw the HK91's in the mix. They win.
Old February 17, 2006, 09:05 PM   #12
Blackhorse

I have both, enjoy both, suggestion, get both, I find them to be fine rifles with their own plus's and minus's.
Old February 17, 2006, 09:07 PM   #13
rgkeller

A PTR91 by JLD
Old February 18, 2006, 09:21 AM   #14
Edicut

I'd say go with the M1A. I've shot both never owned either, went real HK91 long ago. Personal opinion only but I'm a bit leary of kit guns especially when you're putting it up against a first line manufacturer like SA. I used to do alot of work on the XM21 rifle system (sniper system) back in the early 80's and was very impressed with the accuracy, but that would be considered a very high end model M1A.

John P..
Old February 18, 2006, 11:07 AM   #15
Roadkill Coyote

I shot both, bought an FAL, and have never looked back. No matter what you hear online, get out and shoot both first.
Old February 18, 2006, 08:53 PM   #16
James K
Member In Memoriam

I have only "steel and walnut" M1A's and much prefer the feel and handling of that rifle for semi-auto fire. I also like the overall design better, including the lockup. But in full auto, the M14 is uncontrollable and, IMHO, useless.

The FAL is, again IMHO, awkward and heavy, although disassembly for cleaning is easier than the M1A. But for full auto, the FAL is more straight line in recoil and easier to control, partly due to its weight, even if it does sound like rattling a bucket of scrap iron when operating.

As to use, FN is a commercial military arms maker, and is very good at "pushing the product." The U.S. has never made or designed a rifle for commercial military sales, even though it has given or "loaned" millions of rifles to other countries. One instance of the difference is that the FAL is made with an adjustable gas system to handle about any ammunition the using nation might buy or be able to make locally. The M1 and (to a lesser extent) the M14 are made for use by a nation able to control its ammunition to close tolerances and specifications, with little concern about functioning with ammunition made in less developed countries.

Jim
Old February 19, 2006, 12:16 PM   #17
Erhard

@wildalaska

The Australians used the SLR in Vietnam.

Erhard
Old February 19, 2006, 03:01 PM   #18
Death from Afar

@ Erhard- The new Zealanders did to. I have seen an SLR that was used in Vietnam by the NZ SAS. It was cut down to the gas plug, had a bren 30 rd mag on it, a 204 lancer, and was converted to auto. Cool!
Old February 19, 2006, 04:57 PM   #19
Wildalaska

OK add the Aussies...still doesnt change the essence of my (as usual) learned post

WildtrappedinnjAlaska
Old February 19, 2006, 05:08 PM   #20
MTMilitiaman

Quote:
The M1 and (to a lesser extent) the M14 are made for use by a nation able to control its ammunition to close tolerances and specifications, with little concern about functioning with ammunition made in less developed countries.
Does this mean the FAL might be more reliable with the majority of mil-surp ammo available or in a wider range of conditions?

For me as a lefty, picking a battle rifle is going to come down to deciding if the ambidexterity of the M14 is worth the increased cost over the FAL. The Fulton M14 I would get would probably run me over $2K while the DS Arms FAL wtih optics and a pile of magazines wouldn't cost me that much.
Old February 19, 2006, 05:21 PM   #21
Death from Afar

Quote:
OK add the Aussies...still doesnt change the essence of my (as usual) learned post
New zealand is NOT a part of australia. Repeat this 5 times and I will spare you from my SLR's wrath.

Quote:
Does this mean the FAL might be more reliable with the majority of mil-surp ammo available or in a wider range of conditions?
Yes. Absolutly. Unless you have the gas plug upside down ( as I did last weekend) then it doesnt work so good.
Old February 19, 2006, 05:57 PM   #22
FirstFreedom

Quote:
Unless you have the gas plug upside down ( as I did last weekend) then it doesnt work so good
Hee hee. I'd say that the FAL is at least as tough as the M14 type, esp. ones built on the receivers without the lightening cuts; at worst this is a wash. Other than that, I'd have to agree with most everything that's been said. I'd also point out that the M-14 type is *slightly more* politically correct; slightly more palatable to edgy/uninformed/non-gun law enforcement members. Another difference is that when buying an M14 type, you're less likely to get a lemon that doesn't work - springfield, polytech, the other one - they all put out pretty reliable stuff. The same cannot be said for FALs, such as the hit or miss ones from Century...
Old February 19, 2006, 06:33 PM   #23
Blackwater OPS

Quote:
the Storm Mechanized Troop Army of the Sanjak of Novi Pazar to be a real world endorsement, especially where their mechanization is a donkey
LOL, great, now I have to clean up the coffee I sprayed all over my desk.
-Ben Franklin

Spc. Jeremy M. Campbell
Died 9/1/2005
and the best DS ever
MSG Matthew Ritz
Died 11.23.2005
matthewritz.com

For those who have had to fight for it, Life holds a special meaning that the protected will never know.

(\__/)
(='.'=) Someone set us up the bunny!
(")_(")
Old February 19, 2006, 06:39 PM   #24
Death from Afar

Just what you were saying about the century guns- I have seen them advertised in the shotgun news. Are these parts guns? Are they just a bunch of random bits thrown together? uggh. We are quite lucky here as both FALS and L1A1's are avalible and I really do like the aussie made L1A1's. I think the brit pattern is a bit better than the original FAL design. Little things like the fold down cocking handle are pretty cool.
Old February 19, 2006, 08:10 PM   #25
GMorel1916

I love my M1A NM!! So my votes for the M1A for sure.