The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old February 11, 2006, 07:25 PM   #1
Zeroman_IR

Lapua Scenar for Hunting?

Just like the title says. Probably a foolish question, but has any body tried using these (target) bullets for hunting? It is mainly sika and fallow deer around here.
I wouldn't even be considering this but the selection of ammo I can get within an hour and a half drive from home for the 6.5x55SE is pretty limited here. It's either the Scenar 138gn at 2789fps or Federal 140gn at 2550fps, which is loaded pretty tamely by comparison and has a much lower BC.
So...suggestions, comments please.
Old February 12, 2006, 06:24 AM   #2
Foxman

Target bullets are illegal most places on game, the 6.5 swe performs best with 140 - 165 grn bullets, I use 140 grn Hornady bullets , Lapua cases and federal primers, Vithavouri 560 powder gives 2700 fps and will kill either species easily. velocity isnt everything and beyond 150 yds the bullet weight has a great deal more to do with kill ability than the original velocity at the muzzle. If you reload your own there is plenty of choice if not the federal 140 grn will easily kill out to 250 yds, just zero it 1" high at 150 yds and you will need very little holdover even to 250 yds + and still take the 50 yd shots ok.
Old February 12, 2006, 12:30 PM   #3
Zeroman_IR

It's illegal to handload over here. Just one of many things. The minimum for deer is specified as "a rifle of 22-250 calibre which uses bullets weighing not less than 55 grains". So as you see, I am a little limited in my choice of ammo.
Old February 12, 2006, 09:24 PM   #4
Big-Foot

No, the Scenars make very bad big game bullets. They either pencil through or blow up depending on the velocity. At very high velocities the make ok (if somewhat undependable) VARMINT bullets, not at all the kind of performance that you would want for deer.
Old February 13, 2006, 01:05 PM   #5
Zeroman_IR

Thanks. Scratch that notion so. I'll just have to live with the Federal I guess.
Old February 13, 2006, 01:19 PM   #6
Smokey Joe

Target bullets for target shooting.

Zeroman IR--Target bullets make lousy hunting bullets. Period.

Sierra, the biggest (and most successful) maker of target rifle bullets on this side of the pond, answers this question every year (they are probably sick of it!) by saying that a target bullet will not mushroom properly; it is not made to.

They also state that you are giving up very little in the way of accuracy by going with their excellent hunting bullets.

Having used Sierra hunting bullets for many years, with very good accuracy, I can state that IMX, they are correct.

I would expect the target-made Lapua Scenar bullet to be very similar to the Sierras. What bullet is used in the Federal 140 grain ammo?

Consider this: 2550 fps is slow by comparison to 2789 fps, but there isn't an animal on God's green earth that will be able to jump out of the way of a bullet started at the slower speed.

Bummer you aren't allowed to handload.

--Smokey Joe
Old February 14, 2006, 02:39 PM   #7
Zak Smith

I know a lot of people that have used SMK's (168, 190, and 300) on game up to Elk with repeatable success. Not necessarily what I would choose, but FWIW...