The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old March 1, 2006, 08:34 PM   #1
Avizpls

Full Auto Revolver

No I'm not joking.

I overheard a conversation in the library at school today. The topic was guns, and both people seemed to know a little bit about the topic. Then I heard about this kid's unlce's neighbor's Full Auto revolver.

Is there such a thing? And gatling and the GE minigun dont count.

Thanks
Old March 2, 2006, 10:54 AM   #2
Quantrill

There was a "automatic revolver" (not full auto) made about the turn of the century (1900's) called the Webley-Fosberry. It was caliber .455 and was issued to British troops. Pretty neat to see. I never saw one fired though. Quantrill
Old March 2, 2006, 10:56 AM   #3
FirstFreedom

Kid's uncle's neighbor, eh? I'm sorry, but I have to laugh. Last time I heard of the full auto revolver, it was from someone at Democratic Underground. The answer is no.
Old March 2, 2006, 11:04 AM   #4
Jericho9mm

webley-fosbery

there see if this helps at all
Old March 2, 2006, 11:26 AM   #5
Polydorus

Thanks for the link Jericho9mm. I have read about the Webley-Fosbery and always wondered how they worked. Did you notice the link to a modern automatic revolver, the Mateba Model 6 Unica in 357 magnum, at the bottom of article?
Old March 2, 2006, 11:51 AM   #6
Avizpls

haha, yea, I kinda laughed to. But I am always worried about being so sure of something without ACTUALLY investigating. Even if investigation means asking someone else
Old March 2, 2006, 03:15 PM   #7
James K
Member In Memoriam

There was also an American made automatic revolver called the Union, and there is a more recent one called the Mateba. The whole idea is a neat solution to a non-existent problem.

Full auto handguns, of any kind, have a basic problem; they are uncontrollable even when equipped with a shoulder stock.

There is one thing to consider when talking about "automatic" revolvers. Around 1900, "automatic" was the new buzzword in everything, like "virtual" and "cyber" in a later era. When swing out cylinder revolvers came into use, some makers of top break revolvers advertised and even marked their products as "automatic", meaning that fired cases were ejected "automatically" when the gun was opened, as opposed to the swing out cylinder revolvers that were called "hand ejectors."

Jim
Old March 2, 2006, 03:32 PM   #8
markj

The Model 6 Unica is a very unusual revolver produced by Mateba in Italy. It is currently the only automatic revolver made in the world today.

http://www.kitsune.addr.com/Firearms...ba_Model_6.htm

You guys are behind the times it seems
Old March 2, 2006, 05:01 PM   #9
Polydorus

Avizpls, wonder if the automatic revolver mentioned malfunctioned and fired all chambers? In proper sequence, not all at the same time.
Old March 2, 2006, 11:25 PM   #10
Martowski

Kid's Uncle's Neighbor's full auto revolver?

No, sorry... the kid's Uncle's neighbor doesn't have such a handgun.

Kind of like when I was talking with someone once who told me they had the "special police model Glock with the ceramic barrel." Give me a break. Someone was watching Die Hard too many times.

I have no problem with people who don't have knowledge. Knowledge can be learned. I do have a problem with people who try to B.S. their way into making others think they know what they are talking about.