The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old March 6, 2006, 10:55 AM   #1
givo08

S&W 620 vs. 686P

I'm kind of a revolver noob, so bare with me...

After doing some research, I've figured out the two key differences between these guns are the half lug barrel on the 620 and the full lug barrel on the 686P. Also, the barrel on the 620 is a "two-piece" configuration.

So what do these differences mean? What does a full lug do for you that a half lug doesn't or vice versa? Is it just for balance of the gun and adding more weight to the barrel?

What do they mean by two piece barrel, and what are the advantages and disadvantages of each?

If anyone has any shooting experiences comparing these two guns side by side i'd like to hear about that as well. Thanks for the help.
Old March 6, 2006, 11:04 AM   #2
bermo61

I had a 586 and it was the most accurate revolver I have ever owned. That configuration helps to tame the recoil of the .357 mag although I must admit shooting mostly .38 special through it ( i was poor then)..which felt like a 22! Full lug means quicker follow up shots but a heavier gun for daily carry. If you can, shoot both and see if the extra weight is worth it to you.

Wish i still had that 586....and my glock 20, and my beretta 96 ceturion......
Old March 6, 2006, 11:05 AM   #3
bermo61

I had a 586 and it was the most accurate revolver I have ever owned. That configuration helps to tame the recoil of the .357 mag although I must admit shooting mostly .38 special through it ( i was poor then)..which felt like a 22! Full lug means quicker follow up shots but a heavier gun for daily carry. If you can, shoot both and see if the extra weight is worth it to you.

Old March 6, 2006, 11:05 AM   #4
bermo61

Old March 6, 2006, 08:38 PM   #5
croyance

A half lug will make a gun feel more graceful in the hand. It isn't just the weight, but the distribution.
The trade-off is that when it is time to shoot, the forward balance of a gun with a full lug will counteract the recoil more.

I think the two-piece construction is because the outer barrel (& frame) is not steel. Now alloys allow you to reduce weight, but you really want steel for the barrel liner. You will see this in titanium and scandium alloy guns. Bearing surfaces and pins are steel also.

A gun writer has written that the 619/620 feels like the old k-frames with that half-lug. I doubt it, but the point is that it will feel like it gets on target quicker. A good feeling in a carry gun.
Old March 7, 2006, 01:16 AM   #6
dallasconundrum

I agree with bermo61 that you should try to handle and shoot both if you can. See which one feels better in your hand. I've got a 686, 620, and 66 all in 4 inch. Love them all, really do. However, I prefer the half-lug design. They just feel much better in the hand to me. As I shoot mostly .357s (often 125 grainers) I tend not to use the 66 much. Croyance is right, the 620 doesn't feel like the K-frame....but it's close. Holding them both, you can tell that the 620 is the bigger gun, but it isn't a huge, huge difference. Also, as has already been stated, the half-lug guns will have more "flip" with comparable loads than the 686. That's why it'd be good if you could shoot them both, to see if it makes enough difference to put you off of the 620. For me, it didn't. And, if you shoot mostly .38s then you won't really have a problem at all. Let us know what you end up with and give us your take on it.