The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old April 11, 2006, 12:16 PM   #1
JSalcedo

DEA agent who shot himself in video suing over tapes release.

http://www.thesmokinggun.com/archive/0411061foot1.html

DEA Agent Who Shot Self In Foot Sues U.S.
Seeks damages for distribution of humiliating gun accident video

APRIL 11--A Drug Enforcement Administration agent who stars in a popular online video that shows him shooting himself in the foot during a weapons demonstration for Florida children is suing over the tape's release, claiming that his career has been crippled and he's become a laughingstock due to the embarrassing clip's distribution.

Lee Paige, 45, blames the video's release on DEA officials in an April 7 federal lawsuit filed against the U.S. government. A copy of the pro se complaint by Paige, a DEA agent since 1990, can be found below. According to the lawsuit, Paige was making a "drug education presentation" in April 2004 to a Florida youth group when his firearm (a Glock .40) accidentally discharged. The shooting occurred moments after Paige told the children that he was the only person in the room professional enough to carry the weapon.

The accident was filmed by an audience member, and the tape, Paige claims, was turned over to the DEA. The drug agency subsequently "improperly, illegally, willfully and/or intentionally" allowed the tape to be disseminated. As a result, Paige--pictured above in a still from the video--has been the "target of jokes, derision, ridicule, and disparaging comments" directed at him in restaurants, grocery stores, and airports.

Paige, who writes that he was "once regarded as one of the best undercover agents, if not the best, in the DEA," points to the clip's recent airing on popular television shows and via the Internet as the reason he can no longer work undercover. He also notes that he is no longer "permitted or able to give educational motivational speeches and presentations." (5 pages)
Old April 11, 2006, 12:17 PM   #2
JSalcedo

This guy is a buffoon.

What ever flack he got from this video was richly deserved.
Old April 11, 2006, 12:19 PM   #3
MuzzleBlast

Location: Arkansas. Much better place since Bill and Hillary went home.
"Not only am I a moron, I am a whiny moron."

Molwn labe!
Old April 11, 2006, 12:30 PM   #4
QuaTscH94

ROFL! I tried real hard not to laugh while at the office. He made an absolute fool of himself, especially by saying "I'm the only one I know of in the room professional enough to carry a gun" right before shooting himself right in the foot LOL.

Hey it could be worse...like the Fire chief in Arizona that got caught screwing his neighbors sheep
Old April 11, 2006, 12:34 PM   #5
pipoman

Quote:
A copy of the pro se complaint by Paige
This is the most telling word in the release. I would bet he has to represent himself because no lawyers will take the case.

edited to correct spelling error

Last edited by pipoman; April 11, 2006 at 01:19 PM.
Old April 11, 2006, 02:57 PM   #6
rapier144

You all should stop picking on Mr Fife that was his name wasn't it? And who will replace the one round he's allowed to carry?
Old April 11, 2006, 03:10 PM   #7
Mikeyboy

I still don't understand what the purpose of sending a DEA agent to show school kids a bunch of real guns was for??? Moral of the story kids is mind that trigger when holstering your Glocks.
Old April 11, 2006, 04:17 PM   #8
mete

The tape was interesting -the kids seemed to be somewhat bored , slouching in their chairs. After the shot they were all sitting up ,paying close attention !! In the old days pre PC the teacher would have put the dunce cap on him !...Sour grapes.
Old April 11, 2006, 04:24 PM   #9
hogzilla

When dea talks at the next shcool they should play this tape to show how dangerous gun could be when you don't know what you are doing
Old April 11, 2006, 05:34 PM   #10
Eghad

"bring me that other gun"

"hey guys its all right its empty"

the kids say NOOOOOOOOOO

the kids are smarter than the DEA agent. LOLOLOL

NRA Life Member
Old April 11, 2006, 05:50 PM   #11
atlctyslkr

Arrogance about firearms is probably just as bad as drinking and then messing with one. Sounds like this guy has some issues. There are better ways of instructing than professing how much you know.
Old April 11, 2006, 05:57 PM   #12
torque

Old April 11, 2006, 06:14 PM   #13
rhgunguy

I laughed when he said that he was the only one qualified to handle that weapon. My 12 year old sister shows better gun handling abilities. Did he not realize that if he has a full mag in the weapon and lets the slide go forward it make it a full charged weapon?

The fact that the release of the video makes it impossible for him to continue to be UC is regretable, but talking to kids in a classroom could blow his cover just as easily.
Old April 11, 2006, 06:17 PM   #14
tyme
Staff

Anything that a government agent does not pertaining to an active investigation should be public knowledge, except in cases of national security. Even broadly interpreted, this doesn't qualify as a national security concern.

So, if he does have a claim, it's only because of an invalid internal privacy policy at the DEA.
“Who are you?” “A friend. I'm here to prevent you from making a mistake.” “You have no idea what I'm doing here, friend.” “In specific terms, no, but I swore an oath to protect the world...” (continuum)
“It's a goal you won't understand until later. Your job is to make sure he doesn't achieve the goal.” (bsg)
Old April 11, 2006, 06:26 PM   #15
UniversalFrost

I fell out of my chair laughing!!

A buddy of mine showed me this video a few months ago and I almost died laughing. I can't believe this guy was even allowed to handle a weapon. Also, what was he doing with a loaded weapon at a school? This guy reminds me of a shop instructor I had in high school who was teaching a class how to "safely" use a rip saw and ended up cutting all the fingers on his right hand off

This guy is a laughing stock and I sure wouldn't want him around me when he has a weapon. This guy should be a desk jockey for the rest of his career!!

"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati" (when all else fails play dead) -Red Green

Old April 11, 2006, 06:28 PM   #16
Bender711

AT first I thought that he did that on purpose to show how easily you can shoot your foot off. But now that he's sueing I'm sure he's just stupid.
Old April 11, 2006, 06:30 PM   #17
Rich Lucibella
Staff

Quote:
when his firearm (a Glock .40) accidentally discharged
Way to go, guy. No need to contemplate any sort of, ummm, "contributory negligence" on your part.

The evil gun just "accidentally discharged", did it?

And this guy complains that he's no longer allowed to teach firearms safety to kids. Wonder why?
Rich
Old April 11, 2006, 07:30 PM   #18
Wildcard

Quote:
claiming that his career has been crippled and he's become a laughingstock due to the embarrassing clip's distribution.
No. His Careed is crippled because he is a complete screwtard. A screwtard that has no business being around a firearm, ever, for the rest of his life.

Quote:
"once regarded as one of the best undercover agents, if not the best, in the DEA,"
:barf:

If he is that negligent with firearms, wonder what else he is negligent about. He has no business wearing a badge, or being around any children or adults with a firearm.
Old April 11, 2006, 07:34 PM   #19
PATH

My momma told me, "stupid is as stupid does!"

Gosh! Every time I see this tape I laugh till it hurts. Government training at its finest! Oh, you can't make this stuff up!

'How MacPherson Held The Floor'
Old April 11, 2006, 07:57 PM   #20
croyance

Quote:
He also notes that he is no longer "permitted or able to give educational motivational speeches and presentations.
I don't really believe that showing the scar on his foot and saying "This is what happens when you get stupid" is a useful educational tool.

As for the video, it was taken by a private citizen in a place where the public (parents) were allowed. It is a public service to let people know he does not properly handle firearms.
Unless the recording was immediately turned over, it is entirely possible there was another copy anyways. It is also possible there were other parents recording this.
For undercover work and such, the DEA has other positions. He screwed up on his own, now he expects the same level of trust in his abilities?
Old April 11, 2006, 08:05 PM   #21
Webleymkv

As Ron White says, "You can't fix stupid."
Old April 11, 2006, 08:36 PM   #22
strike-hold

now that's funny!!!

That is one of the funniest things I ever saw. "Now bring me that other gun" a car-15, yeah right. I'd be getting a little squirmish too! Those kids were scared to death. The front line of our war on drugs. I wonder if he'll get a purple heart for that?

http://media.putfile.com/03084899
Old April 11, 2006, 09:07 PM   #23
Ledbetter

This guy is no better at lawyering than he is at giving safety demonstrations. The complaint is full of irrelevant information (he used to be a pro football player?!?--So what?) I would love to be at his deposition when he testifies that the GUN had an accident.

Hopefully, the court will sanction him by making him pay the government's attorney fees. There is a very strong argument to be made that the video is a public record subject to disclosure under the Freedom of Information Act and that the DEA had no legal alternative other than releasing it.

This guy should get the 2005 Lon Horiuchi Jackboot award, given for heinous actions in the line of duty by federal agents.

Ledbetter
from thefiringline
TFL #4573
NRA for Life
Winchester Canyon Gun Club for Life
Old April 12, 2006, 12:22 AM   #24
Csspecs

Good he lost his job. If he can't avoid shooting his own foot I don't think I want him pointing a gun at me.

Gave the kids a good laugh at least.
Old April 12, 2006, 08:33 AM   #25
pipoman

The version of the film I saw before didn't have the second gun...

Does anyone know if the DEA normally carries with an empty tube?

I can't understand how this even happened. Releasing the slide lock even feels and sounds different when there is a loaded mag in the gun.

Quote:
pro se
(proh say) prep. Latin for "for himself." A party to a lawsuit who represents himself (acting in propria persona) is appearing in the case "pro se."
What is the saying? "The lawyer who represents himself has a fool for a client"?