The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old April 18, 2006, 01:11 PM   #1
ppcmaster
Registration in progress

Wheelguns Rule !!!

Just wanted to say that..............because they do............
Old April 18, 2006, 01:47 PM   #2
Archie

Well... frankly....

As a lawman, I'd feel just as 'armed' with a six shot Smith & Wesson double action revolver in .357, .41 or .44 Magnum or .45 ACP as I would with a "fifteen convulsive snatch" autoloader.

And I'm convinced I do better in close up and rapid encounters with said six shot Smith & Wesson double action revolver.

Check out updated journal at http://oldmanmontgomery.wordpress.com/
Old April 18, 2006, 03:22 PM   #3
Montana250

Give me this anyday:

Old April 18, 2006, 04:43 PM   #4
ppcmaster
Registration in progress

Revolvers rule!!!

As a law man also and LEO trainer I wished we never switched to the auto loader, our people as a majority went from shoot an average score o90% down to an avg. score or 82% just from switching gun, it was very bad.
Old April 18, 2006, 04:45 PM   #5
ppcmaster
Registration in progress

Oh another thing!!

My administration said everyone is faster at shooting and reloading an autoloader, I guess they never met Jerry Milelick (if I spelled it right). Basically they never hear of him. Always sitting on their brains.
Old April 18, 2006, 04:51 PM   #6
IanS

Shooting my S&W 686P (my only wheelgun) has improved my shooting with my auto pistols. I've learned to be more "patient" and focus on the fundamentals. And there's something satisfying about feeling those metal gears turning as I squeeze the trigger. I feel at "ONE" with the gun.
Old April 18, 2006, 04:54 PM   #7
Gonzo_308

Yes, Yes they do. When I see someone with a quality combat or defense revolver I know they either a) know what they're doing or b) got and listened to some very good advice.
Old April 18, 2006, 05:00 PM   #8
Bullrock

For me revolvers are preferred and beautiful, but not necessarily in that order. I own many more revolvers than I do automatics including a SW625JM.

When it comes to home protection I depend upon my PX4 Storm. For personal defense I depend upon my CZ P01. Sometimes during the summer I will carry a .38Spl.+p.

Like most experienced and well educated folks, I sit on my Butt, not on my Brains. The subject of this post doesn't require much of either.
Old April 18, 2006, 05:49 PM   #9
gdeal

Yes they do.

I tried and I tried to be ONE with the semi-auto pistol but I just can't do it. I know that some people swear by them though. That's fine just don't push that down on me. There are two kinds of people on this earth basically. Revolver people and Semi-Auto people. Wheel Guns Rule!
Old April 18, 2006, 07:28 PM   #10
Ichiro

For civilians, the ability to reload quickly is overrated, IMO.

For civilians, the simplicity of handling and operating a revolver is quite underrated.

~Ichiro
Old April 18, 2006, 07:42 PM   #11
just one question

yup!!

They sure do! I used to be a wonder nine guy but After I bought my first revolver I sold all my autos but one and bought... revolvers!(old ones too!)
Old April 18, 2006, 07:49 PM   #12
DWARREN123

I just like the looks and feel of revolvers.
Old April 18, 2006, 07:52 PM   #13
ppcmaster
Registration in progress

For me is the revolvers accuracy and feel of the trigger.
Bob
Old April 18, 2006, 07:59 PM   #14
loosecannon

Just because I own five .357 Magnum revolvers doesn't mean I like them, or does it?
Old April 18, 2006, 08:00 PM   #15
odessastraight

For most of my adult life I carried the 1911. As a duty weapon it is superior... but only when worn as a "belt" gun. Because of it's weight and bulk (even the Commander) I've gone to a .357 Smith snubby...and more recently to a Bulldog .44 Special for my CCW. You just can't get that kind of reliable power from a small auto.
Old April 18, 2006, 10:02 PM   #16
wheelgunkid

Yes they do. I've owned semi-autos and have nothing against folks who swear by them. But, I can't stand em. I'd rather have a wheely any day. Now that I mention it, I do!
Old April 19, 2006, 03:56 PM   #17
mthalo

Quote:
For civilians, the ability to reload quickly is overrated, IMO.

For civilians, the simplicity of handling and operating a revolver is quite underrated.
As is the efficiency of a good speedloader.
As is the ability of a 125gr .357 to do the job required of it, making the whole rapid reload a bit less important .
Old April 19, 2006, 04:40 PM   #18
RUT

>>For civilians, the ability to reload quickly is overrated<<

As is the need to......
Old April 19, 2006, 05:38 PM   #19
Ichiro

A few weeks ago, I returned from walking our dog to find a back door that was unlocked. I yelled for my wife, but there was no response. The dog did not perk up in the least, so I concluded that I must have just forgot to lock the door. But just in case, I grabbed my Sig 226 and walked through the house, checking every room and closet. Everything OK, except a couple minutes later I realized that..........

I forgot to rack the slide on the Sig!!!!

Is this a lack of training on my part? Definitely! But if I had grabbed the model 10 instead, I would actually have been armed in this situation. Being even a little bit spooked can turn off parts of your brain.

~Ichiro
Old April 19, 2006, 06:33 PM   #20
Montana250

"Being even a little bit spooked can turn off parts of your brain."

Hence the reason we say the words, "I Do".......
Old April 19, 2006, 06:49 PM   #21
Gonzo_308

If by "spooked" you mean "drunk", I agree.

While I agree that reloads are not generally a factor in most civilian shootings, The need to learn and become efficient is no less there.

Also the need to know that you reload when you can not when you need to.

dumping your cylinder with no targets in sight and picking up 3 good cartridges, stuffing them in your pocket is far better than trying to reload with a target returning fire!
Old April 19, 2006, 10:58 PM   #22
mathman

I love wheelguns too...

I also love 1911s...but wait, isn't a 1911 kind of like a wheelie? (at least in its intended purpose)
Old April 21, 2006, 04:06 PM   #23
Glockamolie

RULE ONE: All guns are always loaded.

Just so I never have to wonder, I make sure to adhere to Rule One, and keep mine loaded. Autoloaders all have one in the chamber all the time!
Old April 21, 2006, 05:42 PM   #24
Overman

I remember when i was taking a NRA Basic Pistol/CHL class. Never owned or shot a gun before then.

The instructor recommended I get a 686, as I was not planning on carrying at that point. A wise, wise man, that instructor was. Someone else in the class (an older woman) had a new autoloader that she could barely rack and it was jamming from limp wristing it. She told me she got it because someone (not the instructor) told her it was the best

Still have the 686. Never selling it. I have autoloaders for fun at the range, but I'll never carry one. I pack a wheel gun or I pack nothing at all.
Old April 21, 2006, 09:29 PM   #25
Ichiro

Glockamolie, you make a very good point indeed. I just figured I'd have enough presence of mind to rack the slide. I did not .

However, I just put the Model 10 in the Sig's place and solved my problem! The Sig is a great gun and I'm glad to have it. It's great fun at the range, and if Zombies ever start roaming my neighboorhood, I'll be delighted to have the extra capacity. But I'm a revolver guy at heart.

Speaking of revolvers, I ordered a 642 this week, along with a set of the small CTC grips. I'm going to give pocket carry a try this summer, and the 642 is, well, PERFECT!

When my SP-101 comes back from Ruger (and if they fixed everything), I'm going to make it my first-to-grab home defense gun, courtesy of yet another set of CTC grips. I used to think my terrible accuracy with snubbies was my fault. Now I realize it was the gun's lack of a laser!!!!!!

~Ichiro