The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old April 18, 2006, 05:44 PM   #1
Patton21

Ammoman

Anyone buy ammo from ammoman.com? Good site?
Old April 18, 2006, 05:53 PM   #2
fairview mick

Ammo man

Yes
I bought bulk packed Speer .357 Sig from him. Very honest and reliable. His prices are very good. Also check www.natchezss.com. Both very good sites.
Mickey
Old April 18, 2006, 06:20 PM   #3
Rightwinger

Prices are GREAT, and I love buying in quantity. Just picked up a whole heap of .223 from the site.
Old April 18, 2006, 06:21 PM   #4
Jart

Two thumbs up.
Old April 18, 2006, 06:55 PM   #5
Patton21

Oh great, thanks guys.
Old April 18, 2006, 11:25 PM   #6
dogtown tom

I'll never buy from him again.

See the Ammoman thread at AR15.com's Equipment Exchange Feedback page.
Old April 18, 2006, 11:56 PM   #7
Dust_Devil

Many people brag about ammoman.com and while they are a favorite to many, I am sorry, but I don't see their prices nor availabilty that much better than anyone else. In many cases, their prices are higher. Where they have free shipping, their prices are higher that equals out the price of shipping.
Most everything that is on their site is listed as though you have to buy more than one just to get a deal and at prices where other dealers will give you the same deal even if you buy one item. Sure they have free shipping, but you actually end up paying for the cost of shipping through their higher prices or that you have to spend more money buying multiple quantities.

Last edited by Dust_Devil; April 19, 2006 at 04:49 AM.
Old April 19, 2006, 05:18 AM   #8
AK103K

I've ordered a bunch from them. Fast service, I usually get the order in 1-2 days, but I'm pretty close to them. Prices are actually pretty equal when you compare with shipping, and their service makes it an easy choice, even if they were to turn out to be a little more.
Old April 19, 2006, 12:25 PM   #9
SBrocker8

Does anyone have 7.62x39mm for less than $150 a case again yet?
Old April 19, 2006, 12:44 PM   #10
BamaMac54

I don't know where you are but I just bought a case of 600 7.62x39 for $85.00 at Academy Sports.
Old April 19, 2006, 01:54 PM   #11
westphoenix

I shoot Wolf Ammo.
Shot a few thousand rounds in many different guns.
Failure free and no complaints about accuracy.
Colt Double Eagle Having Fun Clip

I usually buy at shows.
But last time I bought from Cabela's because they are not in AZ (yet).
And can avoid the sales tax buy purchasing from out-of-state.

Here is a order I compared with Ammoman and Cabelas.
Wolf 9mm 1000rnds
Wolf 45acp 1000rnds
Wolf 7.62x39 1000rnds

Ammoman Total = $468.00 (includes shipping)
- that averages to $0.156 per round after shipping.

Cabela's Total = $380.97 + $13.75 (Standard Shipping) = $394.72 (includes 6 FREE plastic ammo boxes)
- that averages to $0.131 per round after shipping.

Thats why I dont buy from Ammoman, prices aren' that great for what i am buying.
Cabela's has very reasonable shipping costs if you buy ammo in bulk.
For any orders over $200.00 the shipping is only $13.75 (standard) per order.
Thats cheap and Cabela's has given me great customer service and replacement of damaged or missing items.

So its cheaper and I get (6) FREE ammo boxes:

Last edited by westphoenix; April 20, 2006 at 04:05 PM.
Old April 19, 2006, 02:23 PM   #12
perpster

When I buy ammo over the 'net I always take the total cost (item, shipping, handling, tax, whatever) and divide by the number of rounds being purchased. Sometimes ammoman.com has the best price per round, sometimes not. Same for selection/availability. One nice thing about price comparison with ammoman is you don't have to go through a bunch of checkout screens to find out what total cost is going to be--the price on the item is the price you pay.

Sure, if you're looking for ammo containers like from Cabela's you need to figure their value in as well. But if you just want straight ammo, ammoman CAN be cheaper, but not always.

Any purchase I've made from ammoman has been delivered very quickly, but he's in a neighboring state. I'm not sure what the AK15 thread is about. I'll have to look at it.
Old April 19, 2006, 02:59 PM   #13
westphoenix

I did not add any $ for the ammo cans, because the are included free.
Thats a bonus of buying from them. You can use the cans for screws
or sell them at a yard sale.

When Cabela's ships they put boxed ammuntion in the plastic ammo boxes then put the plastic ammo box in a cardboard box. I believe Cabelas does this because if a cardboard box rips open no ammo will spill out. Plus you get a free box.
Cabela's has flat rate shipping depending on how much you purchase ($13.75 per order (not item) being the highest).
Old April 19, 2006, 03:21 PM   #14
ffxmike

I've bought from ammoman, but when I do, I always pick it up, just because I like immediate gratification.

However, as many have pointed out, shipping isn't free, it's included.

Whats this mean? It means that the closer you live to NJ, the more you are paying for it.

If I want to ship ammo from the-armory, and I live in fairfax VA, it costs me like 30 bucks. If I want to ship the same ammo to Oregon, it costs me like 50 bucks, lets say.

With ammoman, it all costs the same. This means that because I live closer to NJ than someone in Oregon does, I am subsidizing their ammo shipment. This has ALWAYS bothered me.

Other than that, I do like what I pick up at ammoman.
Old April 19, 2006, 04:48 PM   #15
Topthis

I have only checked prices online for Range ammo, I have not found ONE online company that can compete with Wal-Mart WWB for 9mm and .45. After you add in the shipping and handling charges...every single online site costs more than what I can get at Wal-Mart. Also, at Wal-Mart I can get as much or little as I want and pay the same price, I have heard that if you talk to the manager and buy a case, they will even give you a discount. As for specialty ammo, I am not sure if there is a advantage to buying online either.
Old April 19, 2006, 05:05 PM   #16
kymasabe

I've used Ammoman, Natchez, SportmansGuide and one or two others...all without complaint. Most recently though have been using www.lancercustomammo.com for my handgun ammo.
Old April 19, 2006, 05:06 PM   #17
AK103K

Quote:
As for specialty ammo, I am not sure if there is a advantage to buying online either.
Here you can do very well. I get boxes of 50 Speer Gold Dot's in 357SIG for $18 at Streichers where most places you pay about $13-15 for 20. They have deals on other stuff too thats comparable, as do other places if you shop around. You usually pay out the butt for this type ammo at the stores and even online if you dont shop around.

As for Ammoman, I dont mind paying a little more, just for the service alone. When he says he has it, he does, and its usually here in two days or less, depending on the time of day I order. Fast, simple ordering too.

How many times have you got to one of the sites with a "deal", went all through the check out, and then the next day get an email saying, sorry, its all gone and no mores coming in? I've had it happen quite a bit, and I think a lot of it is just the old bait and switch routine.
Old April 19, 2006, 05:13 PM   #18
tulsamal

Ammoman.com sells a bunch of stuff that you don't see at a big box store. The Federal M193 in 500 round boxes. Individual 20 round cardboard marked M193. Goes fast. Various kinds of military type ammo that comes and goes. If you just want "Federal 9mm +P Hydra Shoks" then you can probably do better buying from Graf's or something. But I always keep an eye on ammoman since he gets in all kinds of interesting things. And it is nice to not have to wonder how much it will all come to once the shipping is figured out!

Gregg
Old April 19, 2006, 07:24 PM   #19
Ozzieman

I have had very good luck with ammoman

The last purchase was 2 casses of 7.62 and he had the best prices I could find anywhere. You do have to shop around and any one selling can only sell for a profit on what they payed for it.
Old April 20, 2006, 12:38 PM   #20
tegemu

Kymosabe, those are pretty good prices. How do you like their ammo?
Old November 2, 2006, 08:22 PM   #21
boxcar

"Ammoman.com" bad deal

A couple weeks ago I bought some .223 ammunition online.
That is how simple it started. It was 1000 rounds of .223
military surplus for $250. The price was right so I jumped on it.

Well the next day I was looking at my bank statement and I was
charged twice $500.00. So I contacted him and he said he would address this issue.
He never did. Then about a week later a package was left on my porch.

UPS left a package on the porch without a signature.
It just so happens it's 500 rounds of 45 A.C.P. So I call UPS
and they say Eric did not say to have it signed for on delivery.
So UPS is just doing there job.

When I spoke to Eric he said I got what I ordered. I sent every single
thing I could to prove him wrong. Now he is mad and will not pay for me to send him back the .45 ammo. And he will not credit my bank account. So he puts in a claim in to UPS. and said he was going to file a claim with the police. That I was scamming him. That's a long story short. He also is blocking my emails and phone calls.
So I can't contact him.

What do you think I should do? He is in New Jersey. If I send him the package back
and he doesn't credit my account. Then he has my $500.00 and I don't have squat.
I can't help but wonder if he did not know what they sent me.
It could be possible he sent my package to anywhere land.

I was pretty sure you had to sign for Ammo. just to prove you got it and you are of age. Had he asked for a signature
the pistol ammo. was NOT what I ordered And just not accepted the package and sent it back.

As of 10/28/2006 VISA has managed to get my money back
I had to prove every single thing. From his P.O. all the way to me sending him back the .45 ammunitionc tracking order.

He claimed to file a police report on this matter. I just wanted you to know my side. I think Eric at ammoman.com should be audited
for having the correct paper work. from what a person buys
online. What kind of ammunition that person was
shipped. If it was recieved and the order was correct. And if the person was of age.

Well after 3 weeks of dealing with this crap I got things straight.
As suggested I went to my bank, UPS,New Jersey police and the
BBB.

It was a bitch providing all the documents I kept from the purchase
through the very end of this mess. After proving to all the people and places that I infact ordered 1000 rounds of .223And I never ordered 2000 rounds. Then I had to prove I never ordered 500 rounds of .45 ACP.

I even used the very same documents he sent me confirming the order.
Bank statments, UPS tracking codes and ALL the emails of ammoman
and myself going back and forth. Including the email block he put me on.

Then I sent him back the .45 ACP I never ordered.
I needed that tracking number from UPS. My credit union got back all
the money and credited my account. I can't tell you how much B.S.
this took. That deal is over!

I can't tell anyone where to shop. But for the record HELL will freeze
over before I deal with Ammoman.com and Eric again.
If you do keep every single thing from start to finish.
His "paid shipping" deal makes it worse.
Old November 3, 2006, 08:58 PM   #22
rcupka

I just bought some AR mags from Ammoman.com, last week.I knew what I was buying, it cam in less than a week and was exactly what I ordered. I did it online through the website and not over the phone so I do not have experience with their staff, but I was very pleased

rcupka
Old November 3, 2006, 09:32 PM   #23
K96771

I live near Ammoman and find it cheaper to buy at Dick's. Granted, selection isn't as good, but my needs are simpler - 9mm, .38 sp, .357 and 12 ga.
Old November 3, 2006, 09:55 PM   #24
MisterPX

Someone actually bought AR mags from ammoman!? Were these different mags than what he had listed at somewhere like $80 for 3-4 mags?

Anyhow, his prices have never been the lowest delivered to me, although it'd be better for west coasters. From his various deceptful actions, I won't be purchasing from him ever.
Old December 18, 2006, 11:15 AM   #25
rcupka

Sorry it took so long to reply, I forgot I had posted on this thread.

Yes I have bought AR mags from Ammoman twice. The first time I bought the Labelle Industries mag from Oconomowoc WI @ 5 for $100 and the second time it was the Okay Industries ones from CT @ 5 for $79. Both have been great mags. I have never had a failure to feed or malfunction of any kind. I was I was thinking I ought to get more with the outcome of the recent elections of there is ever an ban on high cap mags again.

Have you had a different experience with them?

Dick Cupka