The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

View Poll Results: Do you plan on practicing open carry during Open Carry Week?
Yes, I plan on practicing open carry. 25 30.12%
I would, but it's illegial in my state/locality. 30 36.14%
No, I do not plan on practicing open carry. 28 33.73%
Voters: 83. You may not vote on this poll

Old June 2, 2006, 04:59 PM   #1
JoshB

1st ANNUAL OPEN CARRY [where it's legal] WEEK.

The first week of July (the 2nd through the 8th) is hereby designated as "Open Carry [where it's legal] Week.

This will coincide with Independance Day so it's an excelent way to promote/celebrate our Constitutional rights. It will also help take away the "stigma" that people have with firearms.

Please check out the following sites and check w/ local LE regarding open carry in your state.

http://www.opencarry.org/

http://www.packing.org/

Last edited by JoshB; June 2, 2006 at 06:39 PM.
Old June 2, 2006, 06:14 PM   #2
Bullrock

First I've heard of it! Who designated open carry week, JoshB?
Old June 2, 2006, 06:15 PM   #3
cscoios

I won't be practicing open carry, but I will be carrying.
Old June 2, 2006, 06:26 PM   #4
Edward429451

I'm in. It's legal here in Colorado and I (technically) open carry anyway.

Who did designate it as OC day? I hope it's a national thing because it may serve to send a statement.
Old June 2, 2006, 06:30 PM   #5
JoshB

Quote:
Who did designate it as OC day?
I did!
Why, b/c noone else did! It has to start somewhere you know.
Any of you guys know how we could spread the word to the general public?
Old June 2, 2006, 06:44 PM   #6
tony pasley

to spread the word

go to other boards, foward to your mail list i did
Old June 2, 2006, 07:02 PM   #7
Edward429451

I'll let everyone I know know.

Shouldn't someone send a note to Washington or some media outlets?
Old June 3, 2006, 04:36 PM   #8
Dre_sa

i live in south africa, but i would open carry if i were living in the states and i could...
an idea about spreading the word, try avoid the media, they could turn it around...
perhaps aproach the NRA (the public relations dept. if there is one).
also let other forums know about it, let everyone you know that carries regularly know about it.
you could write to your local govt. if you wish, but it might take a while to get a response, it will also help if they are pro gun...
its a good idea though, brings the shooting community together.

oh and dont do it without letting law enforcement know about it
Old June 4, 2006, 07:49 PM   #9
rallyhound

Seems to me that flaunting it is the best way to get the law repealed.
In Minnesota, we just barely caused the ccw law to get passed.
I can see no reason to "rub their noses in it" and increase the oppositions numbers.

Free" men do not ask permission to bear arms.
Old June 4, 2006, 08:18 PM   #10
Majic

Quote:
I can see no reason to "rub their noses in it" and increase the oppositions numbers.
Whose nose is getting rubbed in what? If it's legal then it's legal. Some of us have been open carrying for decades. It seems our biggest opposition have come from those who have just recently gotten their conceal carry laws. Those around me and in most parts of my state say nothing of people open carrying. What's the point in having a law if you don't want someone to utilize it?

BTW... I see no need in voting on a special week to do something I commonly do anyway.
Old June 4, 2006, 08:24 PM   #11
gripster

sounds good to me. i been open carrying for 6 years now. and concealed when needed.
Old June 5, 2006, 11:51 AM   #12
rallyhound

Majic-- Minnesota,and especially the twin cities is a very liberal place.
right now it is legal to open carry in Minnesota.
it is simply my feeling that if a few thousand residents start walking around Downtown Minneapolis carrying exposed the law will get unwanted scrutiny and will fuel the Anti's cause.
Out of site and out of mind.
The ccw law can go away just as easily as it was passed.

Free" men do not ask permission to bear arms.
Old June 5, 2006, 01:18 PM   #13
281 Quad Cam

Sounds to me like a good way to scare people into wanting anti-gun laws.

Out of sight out of mind...
Old June 5, 2006, 04:41 PM   #14
Brent

I have openly carried in North Carolina, Tennessee, Kentucky, Indiana, Minnesota, South Dakota, and Wyoming -- all with no problems whatsoever. I carried in public areas such as Walmarts, grocery stores, banks, etc.

The only people that seem to be alarmed by open carry are gun owners who have concealed carry licenses. The idea that people are going to get panicked is a myth. It may happen once in a while, but if you want to have a non-eventfull experience, I suggest the following:

1) Dress well like you are going to work at the office, church, etc. Leave the t-shirt and 3 day old beard at home.

2) Use a high quality holster with a thumb strap or other retention device. I haven't found any retail stores that have high quality police-style holsters, so I recommend www.donhume.com or other mail order companies that make custom holsters.

3) Keep your head up and act normally.

4) Keep your hands off your firearm.

Enjoy your newfound freedom.
Old June 5, 2006, 08:04 PM   #15
AirForceShooter

Florida here. It's a nono. Can't scare the tourists you know.

AFS
Old June 5, 2006, 08:19 PM   #16
Bender711

Yea I agree with Brent, shower, shave, look respectable.
Maybe the liberals will think you are a cop or something and feel safer. Or relize that no one died and maybe think its not so bad. but I doubt it.
Old June 7, 2006, 11:07 AM   #17
Desertscout1

Here's something that I wrote for Virginia News Source a few months ago concerning open carry. I carry openly everyday, without exception.

Why I carry Openly

There are a select few states that allow it's citizens to carry their weapons out in the open but there is a FEWER select few citizens that choose to exercise that right for fear of hurting someone's feelings.

There are quite a few establishments nowadays that choose to post signs that prohibit the carry of firearms, openly or concealed, within their walls. This is another of the many things that gives me deep and lasting indigestion. If you don't want to be robbed or have a disgruntled employee take out his frustration on your patrons, why do you create such a "hazard-free environment" for those that might perpetrate such a crime? Do you seriously think that a guy intent on robbing your store, or worse, is going to walk up to your door, see your "No Guns" sign and say, "Darn!, I sooooooo wanted to rob this place but the sign says I can't bring my gun in so I guess I'll just have to go somewhere else."? No, by posting that sign, you have pretty much assured the criminal that there is little, if any, chance that he will be confronted. When trained, credible, responsible citizens carry their weapons in your store and give you their business, you should be grateful that, at least for the time that they are present, your business is protected. At least from violent crime. Most of us will not shoot someone for stealing money as it is replaceable and probably insured. However, I have never met a legitimate gun-toter that would not intervene if someone were to threaten innocents or start shooting.

I think that many post those signs because of fear of the image that some of the patrons might get, not for liability reasons.

It is my opinion that if those who do carry regularly WOULD carry openly more often, it would help to desensitize those whom some people are afraid they are going to offend. Well, it offends ME when someone is offended by my carrying (which is RARELY an issue here in NM). I have my rights just like they have theirs. They have the right to get up and go eat somewhere else if they happen to come into a restaurant where I am eating. They have the right to run home screaming if they see me walking down the street and I am armed. I, on the other hand, have the right to do anything that they can do and their being there doesn't affect me one way or the other. The reason that gun rights are in the shape that they are in is because we gunowners continuously pander to "them" and try to compromise to a point that is OK with "them". We walk around and hide what we do or give certain rights away to retain others. That's not freedom to me.

I don't "flaunt" it as some have said. I think that if one is going to carry openly that they should dress neatly and wear your gear professionally and conservatively. I don't think that it's appropriate to wear a 7.5" Super Blackhawk downtown in cheap nylon Wal-Mart holster. Yes, occasionally when I come in from hunting or something and I'm carrying a .44, I may stop to get a Coke or gas or something but I'm not gonna take my gun off just because someone else may not approve of it but what I wear daily is a Glock 23 in a Blade Tech belt holster with my shirt tail tucked in. I dress neatly and there is nothing threatening about my appearance (unless you feel threatened by someone that 6"4", 245 pound and wearing a gun ). Once in a while, I get a question or two but I have yet to experience the fear and panic that some claim is going to happen.

Occassionally, someone tells me how much that they value the 2nd amendment. Well, so do I...as it was written. Not as they would have me to accept it. Having said all that, I do believe that there are a very few places where it may not be appropriate to wear openly like church or some business meetings or picking the kids up at the Boys and Girls Club. In those few places, I do carry but it is concealed. If it's an impromptu occasion, I simply untuck my shirt and let it cover the gun. If it's planned, like church, I wear a Glock 27 in a Blade Tech IWB and a jacket or vest.

I don't "flaunt" it, make a big deal out of it or handle it in any manner when in public and I have NEVER had any problem.

I WILL NOT CRAWL AROUND AND EXERCISE MY GOD-GIVEN RIGHTS ONLY WHEN IT IS ACCEPTABLE WITH SOMEONE ELSE OR WHERE THEY CANNOT SEE!

There are those who will not stand up for a passing flag unless a few people around them do. Well I am the one around them that is first to stand. I could care less what everyone around me does. I have a man to face every day in the mirror and someone else to face when I leave this world. I plan to be able to walk uprightly before Him and say that I have done the best I could to uphold and exercise the rights and freedoms that I was blessed with at my birth.

"All those in favor of losing their rights, please do nothing!"
Glocks are what you show your enemies.
Old June 8, 2006, 04:59 PM   #18
JoshB

+1 Desertscout1
Did you get any responses from the article?

As far as:
Quote:
Seems to me that flaunting it is the best way to get the law repealed.
I've heard it said here before: "a freedom unexercised, is a freedom lost."
I don't know about you, but I'm proud of the freedoms we have here in America and it pisses me off when the commi's try to take them from us.
Old June 8, 2006, 06:44 PM   #19
Edward429451

Whoa. Well said DS.
Old June 9, 2006, 07:37 PM   #20
snolden

Ok, I will open carry that week but I will also carry a BUG concealed. Two Guns, just like that old store on I 40.

Sean
Old June 13, 2006, 06:11 PM   #21
Desertscout1

Responses...

Quote:
+1 Desertscout1
Did you get any responses from the article?
I'm sorry it took so long to bet back to you, Josh. I've been at Front Sight for the last 5 days.
To answer your question, yes, I've received a number of responses to it and the overwhelming majority of them were positive. There are always a few that don't see it that way but VERY few around here. Between the classes that I teach and my radio show, there are a hell of a lot more people around here that are carrying in some manner whether it's openly or concealed.
Glocks are what you show your enemies.
Old June 13, 2006, 07:31 PM   #22
stevelyn

Not much of a challenge here in Alaska since you'll likey see folks open carrying outside the urban areas anyway.
Although with the level of tourists here during the summer, it might be a good way to send out a message.

East Moose. Wear Wolf.
Old June 13, 2006, 07:37 PM   #23
JoshB

Desertscout1 - I've really enjoyed my open carry here in VA. I'm moving to NC in a few weeks and aparently open carry is different from locality to locality. I'll have to check in w/ local LE when I get settled in. I'm not concerned about it too much b/c my PA CC permit is good there.

Steve - sounds like AK is a good place for guns/open carry. I have some family there, but I have no desire to visit simply b/c of the weather. If only the people down south had the same ideas about the right to bear arms!
Old June 14, 2006, 08:12 AM   #24
308Enfield

Open carry is legal here in TN, although the intent of the law as its been explained to me was to protect those of us who carry from being prosecuted for "brandishing" if our shirt got hung up and exposed our carry weapon, etc. I don't plan on walking around town open, but I'll at least go by my favorite gun store, just because I can. I'll also likely change my carry weapon when I carry open. There just aren't that many chances to conceal the Super Blackhawk
Old June 14, 2006, 09:17 AM   #25
kraven

The N.C. firearms laws aren't super friendly to open carry.
This from the NCfirearmslaws pdf file:

"6. GOING ARMED TO THE TERROR OF THE PEOPLE
By common law in North Carolina, it is unlawful for a person to arm himself with any
unusual and dangerous weapon, for the purpose of terrifying others, and go about on public
highways in a manner to cause terror to others. The N.C. Supreme Court has said that any
gun is an unusual and dangerous weapon for purposes of this offense.
Therefore persons
are cautioned as to the areas they frequent with firearms."

Which to me says that any LEO who decides to be the supreme court on the side of the road or walkway can, at his leisure, arrest me for open carry.
And, that would suck.
But, it seems that every place in NC makes a different rule for open carry. So, you have to check every town you'll be in, and talk to LEOs.