The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old April 30, 2007, 12:15 PM   #51
mikejonestkd

My .223 encore is one in 12, I would guess yours is the same.

I can shoot up to 62 gr before they start to destabilize.
Old April 30, 2007, 01:13 PM   #52
Magnum Wheel Man

I think my old one in 223 was 1 in 12 also... I always had trouble with accuracy in anything over 50 grains...
Old April 30, 2007, 02:36 PM   #53
Whisk

I like to shoot varmints with the WallyWorld Win 45 grain hollow points. They even work out of my Savage Tactical with a one in nine so they should be even better in the Contender with 1 in 12!

Lately though, the cheapest 223's at Wally have been the Rem 55 grains. Cheapest of all of course were the Big 5 55 grain militaries.

I wonder how those Hornaday 30-30s with the "ballistic" tips would be for a Contender hunting round? I think they are pointed by a kind of "soft" ballistic tip that can be shot from the lever actions.

When you say "pointy" 30-30s are you talking about those?

http://www.lukefisher.com/napalm.wav
Old April 30, 2007, 02:38 PM   #54
Magnum Wheel Man

yes...
Old April 30, 2007, 06:55 PM   #55
Whisk

The 45 LC/410 bbl is illegal in People's Republic of CA.

So I guess any good deal I get on a 30-30, 7mm TCU, or 45-70 will be OK. Wouldn't mind a 308 either but it would need a ported bbl I would think (like the 45-70's).

If I get one of them Wiley Coyotes some evening coming down to calves and/or water, with iron sites on 223, I'll report it on here. Now that I have a good gun handy for them, I'll probably never see another one. Calves will like it I guess.......

Old April 30, 2007, 06:56 PM   #56
Whisk

Also would like to get 17HMR for Contender. 14 inch bbl would be a neet gun. I have a Marlin with like a 22 inch bbl and it is a tack driver!

Little bit minimal for coyotes though.

Old May 1, 2007, 06:51 AM   #57
Magnum Wheel Man

BTW... 308 is not available for the Contenders ( pressure is too high )... It is available in the Encore though

BTW#2... how about 357 Rem Max ??? or 44 mag ???

BTW #3... got a 17 Remington ( 223 case necked down to 17 caliber )... though I've never really cared for the cartridge... too wind sensitive IMO, However, I would prefer it to the non reloadable 17 Rim Fires...

you guy's are getting me questioning my self enough, that I really need to get in there & do another inventory... it's been a long time

... if I remember right there are a few cartridges based on the 30-30 case or 223 case that use 243 or 25 caliber bullets... the cartridge wildcat names escape me right now, but in non hand loads, that 7-30 Waters would IMO, be the ultimate 200 + yard "yote" gun... I've used that cartridge / 14" barrel for everything from Prairie Dogs, to White Tail Deer
Old May 1, 2007, 09:19 AM   #58
Whisk

The 7-30 Waters is a necked down 30-30? Going from 30 to 28 calibre doesn't seem like it would make that much diff but I guess it does. I've heard it is superior to the 7 TCU and most of the other rounds for the Contender to reach out to 200+ for game of deer size and smaller.

My bud swears by the 223 necked out to 7 (7mm TCU) for his Contender but he thought he was getting 130 gr bullets to go 2,800. I said no way and he went back and check and he's getting more like low 2,000's. Still not bad for deer at 100 or closer but I don't know about some of the boars on his property. Thats why I thought about the 308. The 45-70 ported bbl would be a good one for pigs IMO but even ported I hear its quite a kicker. It must be because I have a little NEF and it kicks like a mule with just 305 gr factory loads!

Tappin swears by the standard old 30-30 for deer from a Contender. Says its the ideal Dear Handgun in fact!

Old May 1, 2007, 10:11 AM   #59
Whisk

The little 17HMR is nice around the cows as it does not ricochet at all (even the venerable little 22 can ricochet some and it might not kill 'em but my investors don't like it when their foremen tell 'em they've got "strange little bumps" or an eye out on their stock!

They (17's) just cost too damn much and are really questionble for anything bigger than a squirrel IMHO!

Really accurate though. Instant death for blackbirds and I'll tell ya those things (blackbirds) are worse than coyotes on the newborne calves! (they peck out their eyes, tongues, pads in their hooves, etc.)

I hate 'em!

(and CA protects them -- Ravens too!)

Last edited by Whisk; May 1, 2007 at 01:41 PM.
Old May 6, 2007, 07:37 PM   #60
poncaguy

I've had a 15" 223 Contender for 30 years or so. Has a 3x Burris scope on it, will shoot just over an inch at 100 yards when I can...............
Old May 7, 2007, 08:06 AM   #61
joshua

I bought my TC Contender back in 1990 in pistol configuration 14" super bull barrel in 223 Rem. I was so impressed with the 223 I bought a 21" Foxridge bull barrel. Then a 16.5" carbine barrel in 7x30 Waters followed, then a 16.5" bull barrel with tamer in 45/70 followed. I'm not sure what's next, but I really want a 17 Fireball in a long bull barrel configuration. My choice of a light varmint gun is the TC Contender with the 21" barrel in 223. I would like to have a 375 JDJ in the future. Maybe I'll get a G2 barrel and then a couple of more barrels like 22lr and 221 Fireball. josh
Old May 7, 2007, 10:59 AM   #62
jem375

You guys want to see what T/C Contenders and Encores can do, take a look at this website:
www.sskindustries.com
Old May 7, 2007, 01:00 PM   #63
mikejonestkd

here's a few more:

TC Arms Encore: http://www.tcarms.com/firearms/encore.php

TC arms contender/G2: http://www.tcarms.com/firearms/g2Contender.php

Bullberry Barrels: http://www.bullberry.com/

Fox Ridge ( TC's custom shop ) : http://www.foxridgeoutfitters.com/se...cfm?section=16

E Arthur Brown Barrels: http://www.eabco.com/tcref.html
Old May 8, 2007, 08:44 AM   #64
Whisk

rootcanal & Herret

I saw a Herret TC for sale on a website several years ago and was tempted as I called and they said it was legal in CA. I figured I could then get different bbls. It was "only" around $400+ as I recall and looked in good shape. Some guy in Idyhoe I think.

Anyway, I was unsure about the ability to legally change bbls, etc. so I waited until I saw one in a gun shope a bit ago and snagged it. Still the 410 bbls aren't legal here but you could always say you were shooting 45 LC I guess.

I would like to get 45/70, 17 HMR, and maybe a 30-30 or 7mm TC. Shot a few squirrels last week at around 50 yds (iron sights still) and they exploded! Its a neat gun!

Old July 10, 2010, 01:29 PM   #65
mtnsmith

super 14 real stiff on breach opening..

HI Ya'll New guy here.. I Have a question.. Got a super 14 in 30-30.. And as you know you have to pull back on the trigger guard to open the breach, OK. Is it common for the T/Cs to be real stiff? I mean ya gotta pull back pretty hard for the breach to drop open.. Is it because the gun hasn't been used much.. I know T/Cs tolerances are real close and I'm thinking that maybe the gun will loosen up a bit as it is used.. Am I wrong about that? Other than that the gun functions great.. And accurate...Any answers will be appreciated

mtnsmith................
Old July 10, 2010, 02:57 PM   #66
Pahoo

Quote:
Any Thompson Contender fans??
Absolutely and got into more barrels than I ever planned on getting. The longest range I shoot, is 100yds. with my 30-30 and .223. Great shooters..

Be Safe !!!
Old July 10, 2010, 03:18 PM   #67
Taxidermist

I have had my T/C for around 30 years I guess. Actually the one I use all the time I have had about 20 years. I sold the first one "357max" and within a week I was missing it and had to buy another one. Mine is the 14" scoped with a .35 Rem barrel. In the last 20 years I think I grabbed a rifle just once to hunt with. I love deer and bear hunting with my T/C. I've even used it a few times for predator hunting.

John
Old July 10, 2010, 09:23 PM   #68
44 AMP
Staff

My current list:
6"
9mm Luger
.357 Magnum

10"
.22LR
.22 Hornet
.222 Rem
.357 Mag
.44 Mag
.45/.410
.45 Colt

14"
.30-30
.45 Win Mag
.45-70

Love the Contender!
Old July 10, 2010, 10:18 PM   #69
MOREAMMO

Only have one barrel now, a 10" bull .223. Put a 2-6x pistol scope and it still surprises me how accurate it can be. Had it before I started handloading and it shot great with factory ammo. I enjoy the surprise on people faces when they shoot it and feel the muzzle blast. Had a Super 14 in 44 mag and was a bit much! I'm thinking a 9mm or 45 ACP may be on the "list". Love the T/C!
Old July 10, 2010, 10:42 PM   #70
OkieCruffler

There are actually 2 types of contender frame (3 if you count that ugly step sister the G2) the easy open and the pre easy open.If your pivot pin is at the front of the frame that means it's a pre frame and it will be stiff, especially if you have a newer barrel. TC will convert it for a big $55 bucks. I have one here on the desk that I need to send in.
Old July 10, 2010, 10:47 PM   #71
SVO

Contender Fan? How about Addict?

Have 11 frames, near complete collection of the 10" octagon barrels (missing 4 of the .17 calibers), partial set of the 8" octagons, AFIK a complete collection of the 10" bulls and Super 14's, several TCA specials, and a couple of unlisted factory wildcats (anyone got a .22 CCM or a .30 REN?). Also have some custom barrels.

When talking T/C, one needs to be careful about mixing Contender calibers with Encore calibers. 6mm PPC in a Contender - have to call BS on that. In a Encore, yea, I can see that.

Magnum Wheel Man, yes have a .300 Whisper, in both a T/C and a SSK. Both are totally different to shoot. The T/C is a 1 in 10 twist barrel and shoots the lighter .30 caliber slugs just fine, but not the heavy ones as J.D Jones intended. The SSK barrel has a 1 in 8 twist and handles the heavy .30 caliber slugs just fine at subsonic velocities. If you want a true Whisper, go with a SSK barrel.

Another custom T/C barrel maker not mentioned is Dennis Bellum. I think he and J.D. Jones do the best work in T/C customs.
Old July 11, 2010, 11:20 AM   #72
OkieCruffler

I know a couple of guys who are running the 6 PPC on a Contender platform, but they are caereful loaders and of course can't load to it's potiential. It'll still beat the 6tcu or the 6 bullberry by a decent margin. I passed on an 8X57 rimmed barrel once that I wish I had picked up. You also see alot of 35 rem barrrels that have been rechambered to 356 or 358. Again it's doable if the loader is careful, but it those barrels get into the wrong hands you get a stretched frame if your lucky.
Old July 11, 2010, 11:49 AM   #73
Magnum Wheel Man

I don't personally like to chamber cartridges that factory or "normal" ammo is of too high a pressure... my factory 375 Winchester is really close to that point... I've also seen 444 Marlin barrels for the Contender... but if you can't load hotter than the 44 mag ( really ), what is the point ???
Old July 11, 2010, 12:35 PM   #74
OkieCruffler

I was running a 300gr bullet at 1900fps from my 444 barrel and was still under pressure limits. From what I understand the 445 will do the same with less powder. I will say the 444 was very uncomfortable to shoot. My only big dog now is a 358 Super Bower wich is basically just a 356 win with the neck shortened enough so you can't chamber factory ammo. I can run a 180gr at 2400 and it's not near as brutal. Still not what you take for an afternoon of plinking.
I'm seeing alot of 7.62X39 barrels out there now that worry me. That factory loading, especially if you're sending a .311 bullet down a .308 bore has some nasty possiblities.
And then there are those barrels you run into that are just plain stupid. 300 win mag anyone?
Old July 11, 2010, 05:11 PM   #75
WSM MAGNUM

Quote:
SVO says;
Another custom T/C barrel maker not mentioned is Dennis Bellum.
You mean Mike Bellm at http://www.bellmtcs.com/store/index.php

If con is the opposite of pro, is Congress the opposite of progress?