The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 8, 2006, 04:32 PM   #1
Wrangler5

Saving Chrono Data

Aa a 20+ year reloader I only got around to buying a chronograph last year when I saw a Shooting Chrony Gamma Master on promotion at Midway and said - what the heck. After the first use I got to wondering how I had lived without one so long.

But (you knew it was coming, didn't you?) keeping track of the data is starting to be a real nuisance. I load for 380ACP, 38 and 357, 9mm Luger, 9mm Makarov, 44 Mag, 45ACP and Auto Rim, and 45 Colt. Eventually I'll chrono my 223, 308 and 30-06 loads, as well as some 30-30 loads I'll be working up with a friend of mine this fall. What I've done so far is keep track of each string as it's shot at the range, then come home and print out the statistics on the Chrony printer, mark each set of numbers with the load data and date, cut the printer tape apart and lay related sets on a copier, where they're copied onto a single sheet of paper, which then goes into a 3-ring notebook for future reference.

There's got to be an easier way. I don't want to type numbers into a spreadsheet or ballistic database (life's too short.) And I would like a way to back up the data - at the moment my backup is saving all the little printouts.

Chrony offers some sort of hookup to a PC that looks like it would dump the data into a PC, but it's described as DOS software and the format in which it ends up is not specified. I've looked at the specs for the CED Millennium chrono, and it looks like it comes with no printer but with a PC connection and download software that puts the data into an Excel spreadsheet, which I can easily deal with. And back up easily. So I'm thinking about selling the Chrony and moving to a CED.

Do any of you have experience with one or both of these chronos that would suggest either (a) I can get what I want out of the Chrony software kit (i.e., simple download to a standard PC application) and/or (b) I would actually get what I'm thinking I would get from the CED unit?

Thanks for the benefit of any experience.
Old June 8, 2006, 04:56 PM   #2
Nortonics

I've got a CED, and yes you are correct, it will do just exactly what you're looking to do. Here's a excerpt from the shootingsoftware.com web site concerning this:

Quote:
With the included PC serial cable and free CEDM Data Collector Utility you can download velocities directly to your personal computer. YOU DO NOT NEED A MODEM! Simply plug the Millennium Chronograph directly into a port, turn the Millennium on, click the download button, then the "PR/PC" key on the Millennium. In a few seconds the velocities stored in the Millennium's memory have been downloaded so you can store, print or edit the information.

Note: USB only PC's require a USB Adapter. Support for downloading from the chronograph is included in the RSI Shooting Lab for PC's and Macs.
Or you can simply copy & paste the the info from the white data collector window as seen below.

Last edited by Nortonics; June 9, 2006 at 05:49 AM.
Old June 8, 2006, 09:25 PM   #3
WESHOOT2

my data

I keep my chrono data with the lot written (by hand) in my Lyman Reloading Data Log; I keep the Data Logs in loose-leaf binders, seperated into "under .400" / over .400" " binders.
Old June 8, 2006, 09:41 PM   #4
Unclenick
Staff

And the CED can have a printer, too. . .

Wrangler,

I also have the CED Millenium. I think it is the better instrument because remote sensors let you confirm accuracy at different sensor spacings, which is the only way of making a chronograph self-validate that I am aware of.

It has, in addition to the PC connection, an HP compatible IR output that will directly talk to HP printers. So, if you feel you need a hard copy you can pick up one of those little printers made for laptops, like the HP 82240B hand-held. I use mine directly with a notebook computer I take to the range, but I am also using that computer with the RSI PressureTrace and LoadForce devices, so that makes it more important to have on location. If you need to measure more than 225 shots in a session, that would be the other reason to have a computer along.

The CED Millenium also has an accessory IR screen. Unlike some others, it is actual infra-red, so it is invisible and doesn't cause glare in low light. You can get a battery pack for using it outdoors as well, if you have low or varying light conditions.

Nick
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old June 9, 2006, 03:55 AM   #5
Swamp_Fox

+1 on the CED.

Plus, independent testing showed it to be as accurate as anything on the market.
Bits of flesh dropped off them from time to time.
And sank into the pool's mire.
They also smelt a great deal.

Paula Nacy Millstone Jennings
Old June 9, 2006, 12:39 PM   #6
amamnn

chrony

I use the Shooting Chrony Ballistics II program with my chrony. It works just fine. I also record the data from each string on the bench as I shoot, being one that does not trust ANY computerized electronic device to work 100% of the time.
Old June 12, 2006, 05:36 PM   #7
Wrangler5

I find that I have played with the Chrony PC Program v.5.04, copyrighted in 2000. It lets you enter chrono results, and calculates averages, SD, etc. (There is a box for "download" but I don't have a connector cable for the chrono box, so I've just entered a few data sets by hand.)

But it only lets you save with an 8-character DOS file name, which is not too useful. Is this the same as the Ballistics II program that amamnn refers to, or is it probably an older freebie that just came with my Chrony?
Old June 12, 2006, 06:25 PM   #8
kkb

Here's a cable schematic for the chrony (please forgive the ascii art ) Plugs into the chrony's printer port.

Code:
1/4" sterio headphone jack
------+
      |
      +---+---+--+
      |   |   |   )
      +---+---+--+
      | ^   ^   ^
------+ |   |   |    DB9 RS-232 Female
        |   |   +-------O 5  9 O
        |   |           O 4  8 O--+
        +---------------O 3       |
            +-----------O 2  7 O--+
                        O 1  6 O

4800 @ 8-None-1
Old June 12, 2006, 09:46 PM   #9
Bullet94

Why would you save your chronograph data? I only chronograph when working up loads. I write down the results, but when I find the load I’m looking for I just save that. Am I missing something?
Old June 12, 2006, 10:05 PM   #10
amamnn

Chrony pgm

Wrangler I think you must have an older version. My program came with all the cables and etc....I save my data because it can be that I might change my mind about a load somewhere down the road. I've had to change powders from time to time, due to having got the extreme of the variation in density in the bottle I used to work up a load. Or at least, that's what I figured when the new bottle gave me different results. Then I try to work back to the best results.
Also, the program I use helps to work up the load by taking known data and extrapolating from that--helps shorten the process a bit. For example, I can use the data collected from a few strings to predict the POI of a particular load that I liked at 600 yards to see what the drop might be at 1000 yards and I can juggle the major variables to predict what the load might do--rather than trying to change the powder charge weight or powder type by trial and error--and etc....
Old June 13, 2006, 05:31 AM   #11
WESHOOT2

saving data

I save all data; I only wish I'd started sooner.

Why?

To learn.....

I need more information, and I prefer it to be factual and repeatable.

I am a 'serious' handloader.
Old June 13, 2006, 10:36 AM   #12
Wrangler5

Wrangler I think you must have an older version. My program came with all the cables and etc....I save my data because it can be that I might change my mind about a load somewhere down the road.
Thanks, amamnn. In the Ballistics II software, what format does it use to save the data? Is it a standard spreadsheet or word processing document that you can do something with in another program? I'm thinking about printouts here - my current practice is to lay my little printer strips on a copier and put 5 or 6 data sets on a single page, and put that in a 3-ring notebook that lives on my reloading bench and goes to the range with me. It can be very interesting to see the changes from 0.2g powder differences during a load workup, all laid out next to each other. Does your software allow that kind of flexibility in printing? If it does, I'd consider springing for the connectors and software instead of changing chronos.
Old June 13, 2006, 11:49 AM   #13
zeisloft

I use an Ohler, but for saving data, my log book is at the bottom of my targets. All the nuts and bolts of the load + weather conditions etc. once the target is shot, I just tape the chrono data printout to the target. That way I have EVERYTHING together in a binder for EACH GUN.
~z

Obviously, Occam was not a reloader