The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Closed Thread

Old July 7, 2006, 02:19 AM   #1
skinny

Where can I find a handgun permit list for GA?

Where can I find a list of handgun permits for GA?
Old July 7, 2006, 03:42 AM   #2
Rich Lucibella
Staff

As in a list of people with permits? If that's the question, I doubt you'll get much help here. But I have one.
Rich
Old July 7, 2006, 03:45 AM   #3
Bud Helms

What do you mean by "a list of handgun permits"?

Do you mean a list of names of people to whom have been issued a GA Firearms License? To my knowledge, that's not made public, but a FOIA request could probably get it released.

Do you mean different "types" of permits available? One category, one license for all.
Old July 7, 2006, 04:02 AM   #4
skinny

firearms issued in ga

Where can i find a list of names of people who have been issued firearm permits in ga. what is foia?
Old July 7, 2006, 04:11 AM   #5
Bud Helms

Freedom of Information Act.
Old July 7, 2006, 06:02 AM   #6
blume357

Since you asked the question,

I have one; Why do you want the list?
Old July 7, 2006, 10:54 AM   #7
Kestrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinny
Where can I find a list of handgun permits for GA?
Now, that's a great way to make friends on a firearms forum. One has to assume you're not planning to stay...

Why don't you post your name, address, phone number and SS# first and we'll get back to you...
Old July 7, 2006, 12:04 PM   #8
pwelsh4hd

I'm pretty sure no handguns, ergo no permits, exist in GA. Just smiling friendly faces everywhere you go.
Old July 7, 2006, 12:14 PM   #9
Marko Kloos

I don't know who has a permit in GA, but I can pretty much guarantee you that all the gun-toting folks in GA you'd have to worry about do not have a permit.

the munchkin wrangler.
Old July 7, 2006, 01:21 PM   #10
Dave P

What a bizarre request! We sure get all kinds here.

FWIW, Gov Jeb Bush recently signed another good law about not releasing names of CCW holders (in FLA). Went into affect July 1.

Dave
Old July 7, 2006, 01:22 PM   #11
atlctyslkr

I'd like to hear more about this. I wasn't aware that there was a list kept. I'm sure that there would be a defacto way to create one but unlike some states Georgia doesn't publish the info in the local papers. I'm hoping that there is not such a list floating around out there. In fact I tried one time to research how many license holders there were and had no luck. Alot of states that have one agency controlling the issue like Florida publish the numbers but not names.

Since the GBI (Georgia Bureau of Investigation) does a check on each license holder upon intitial application and renewal they propbaby have records of these checks but they just transmit the info back to each county since it's the county that issues the license. Georgia is shall issue but even if everything checks out a judge can still deny you. The GBI has now way of knowing if and when a license was actually issued.

I don't see how this falls under FOIA. Isn't that a Federal thing, I don't see state governments bowing to that.

While we are on the subject, shame on those states like New York that make this information accessible to the public. Guns are one of the most popular items stolen in burglaries, right after cash and jewelry. They are small and valuable. If there were such a list and criminals could get it then they would know that the license holder owns at least one gun and probably more. Most gun owners I know own many different types.
Old July 7, 2006, 02:08 PM   #12
38splfan

Hmmm....

I may be paranoid, but I think that some math may be required here.

3 posts on same subject with no others
+Unusual request about sensitive information
+No other information
-----------------------------------
= Something awful fishy.

Just a thought, but maybe you might get more help if you were a bit more open about your end objective, ya know?
Old July 7, 2006, 02:14 PM   #13
Mannlicher

my guess is that this is a HandGun Control type, who would use the information to harm law abiding citizens in some way. First post, and already stirring the pot.

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.".........Ronald Reagan
Old July 7, 2006, 02:39 PM   #14
Kestrel

Okay - I'm caving in. Here's the list:
Attached Files
File Type: txt secret list.txt (94 Bytes, 111 views)
Old July 7, 2006, 02:53 PM   #15
gb_in_ga

If you mean "handgun permits" as being permits to posess handguns in Ga -- there' ain't no such thing.

If you mean concealed carry permits -- that's a whole 'nuther thing. Best I know, that information isn't available and shouldn't be, either.

I don't know how to get that information, I don't want to know that information, and if I did, I wouldn't divulge it, especially given its sensitive nature over an insecure medium like the 'net.

Why in the world would you legitimately want a list of law abiding people who are engaging in lawful activities, anyway? Those aren't the people to be worried about -- the ones engaging in unlawful activities are the threat. Unless you are wanting this information for marketing purposes, I suppose. Even then, I wouldn't be one to give out that kind of information -- we get junk-mailed, telemarketed and spammed enough as it is. Maybe you are wanting to do some sort of statistical research? If so, wouldn't a by-zipcode breakdown (without names & addresses) suffice?

Quote:
my guess is that this is a HandGun Control type, who would use the information to harm law abiding citizens in some way.
And then there's that possibility -- that you are a "grabber" looking to harm law abiding citizens in any of a number of ways. Or, that you are criminal looking for a nice list of possible places to burglarize. I'm not saying that you are, but you might be -- it sounds awfully fishy to me: your being a "newbie" and posting such a request with no explanation or identification.
Old July 7, 2006, 03:11 PM   #16
The Terminator

I have one, but you would never see it.
John 3:16 (I hope to see You over there.)
Old July 7, 2006, 06:25 PM   #17
atlctyslkr

Apparently this guy gets around. I belong to a smaller local site and warned them about it.

http://www.georgiapacking.org/forum/viewforum.php?f=15

I'll bet he strikes THR by morning.
Old July 7, 2006, 06:47 PM   #18
Mike Irwin
Staff

I want to know what reason you might have for wanting that information.

Looking to form some sort of organization?

Looking for kindred spirits?

Or are you looking at harassing law-abiding gun owners, people who have worked through the legislatively mandated process for obtaining a concealed carry license?

Given that you've hit at least one other forum with this query (ARFcom, apparently), I'd have to say that your motives are highly suspect.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old July 7, 2006, 07:10 PM   #19
rhgunguy

Troll. A few years ago our local paper posted a list of people in the county that had CCW in the part of the paper for DUIs. People sure were pissed about that one.

Lately alot of places have been following Florida's lead. Hopefully that will continue to include not divulging permit holders names.
Old July 7, 2006, 07:43 PM   #20
Ausserordeutlich

There are 159 counties in GA. I'm pretty sure that the Probate Judge of each county maintains a log of permit holders. I'm also pretty sure that there's no master list. The G.B.I. isn't even required to furnish the Probate Judge with a written report, absent any negative information about the applicant.

Cops can't tell from your license plates if you have a firearms permit in Ga.
Old July 7, 2006, 08:34 PM   #21
M14fan

Kestrel

Shame on you!! You TOLD!

Very funny answer BTW.
Old July 7, 2006, 10:54 PM   #22
MeekAndMild

If it helps any I don't have one but I have reciprocity, as do about 60 million other citizens.

I have a couple of questions for you but can't ask them as I don't know if you're above the age of consent. You need to be more explicit in your personal profile.
In a few years when the dust finally clears and people start counting their change there is a pretty good chance that President Obama may become known as The Great Absquatulator. You heard it first here on TFL.
Old July 9, 2006, 12:29 AM   #23
stevelyn

You'll have to go to Helen Waite, the administrator who oversees such things and make your request in person. Her office is in the Capitol building basement accessable by the outside elevator.

East Moose. Wear Wolf.
Old July 9, 2006, 12:32 AM   #24
rhgunguy

The outside elevator? Oh, I know the one you are talking about. It starts at the roof and only goes down.
Old July 9, 2006, 07:53 AM   #25
Mal H
Staff

Folks, you might as well give up. "skinny" hasn't returned since around post #5 in this thread. He's not reading all the wit, wisdom and wisecracks being thrown his way.
Closed Thread