The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

View Poll Results: Should Old Threads be given new life?
Yes 16 64.00%
No 9 36.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Old July 17, 2006, 04:06 PM   #1
atlctyslkr

Old Threads

Does anyone else on here use the search function for research? I know the mods mention it from time to time when a topic gets brought up that has already been disussed 50 times. Sometimes I find info that is still relevant or rather timeless. Some have said to me it's bad to ressurect old threads and I should repost as a new topic. I'd like to give credit to the original thinker. What do you guys think?
Old July 17, 2006, 04:32 PM   #2
seeker_two

Wisdom doesn't have a spoilage date, and a lot of good info can be found in the old threads.

If it was good enough for Lazarus.....
Old July 17, 2006, 04:47 PM   #3
Don H

Oftentimes people don't notice that it is an old thread and challenge or ask questions of an original poster who hasn't been here in years. My preference would be to start a new thread and reference the old thread(s) with a link. This would highlight what is current and what is not and help prevent one-sided debates with departed members.
Old July 17, 2006, 04:55 PM   #4
Twycross

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don H
start a new thread and reference the old thread(s) with a link.
Sounds like a good idea to me. But I don't think much will change. Zombie threads are a part of forum life.
Old July 17, 2006, 04:57 PM   #5
Odd Job

@ Don H

How long do notifications/subscriptions to threads last though? Because if they do last long, I would prefer replies in the original thread so the original poster (who may still be around) may get an email notification that there is a new response in his thread.
I personally like seeing how the subject matter has developed or how opinions have changed. Nice to keep it in one thread.
Just my opinion.
Old July 17, 2006, 06:57 PM   #6
Al Norris
Moderator Emeritus

Odd Job, that depends upon if the thread originator even had thread notification on! It's an option in the user controlpanel as to whether it is the default action.

If it is not your default setting, then you would have to set the notification type for each thread you replied to (it's in the "Reply To Thread" options below the first "submit" button)... Or at least those threads you wanted to be notified of.

Add to this, you cannot tell who is going to be notified and who isn't when you reply!

At any rate, my personal preference is not to resurrect old threads unless there is actually more info relevant to that thread. But that's just me.

Here's what I have seen: Old thread gets revived. New folks don't look at the date of the original poster. Arguement ensues; or irrelevant posts made... Thread gets locked.

So... I didn't "vote" in the poll, as it is not a question that has a black and white answer.
Old July 18, 2006, 08:53 AM   #7
johnbt

"Does anyone else on here use the search function for research?"

Yes. I also use Google to search using "thefiringline" and whatever two-letter topic I'm interested in since the search function won't do two-letter searches.

I like it when there's a new topic posted that includes the link to the old thread.

John
Old July 18, 2006, 12:59 PM   #8
Don H

Quote:
Does anyone else on here use the search function for research?
I failed to answer this on my post. Yes, I do. I also do searches to check other forums also.
Old July 18, 2006, 01:39 PM   #9
dfaugh

I try to...but sometimes I'm asking a very specific question, and the "search" function returns a bazillion threads, many of which aren't related. Not much you can do about it I guess, just the way it works.

"No one has the answer, but one thing is true.
You'e got to turn on evil, when its coming after you.
You've gotta face it down,and when it tries to hide,
you've got to go in after it, and never be denied.
Time is running out...Let's roll.
Let's roll for freedom, let's roll for love.
We're going after satan, on the wings of a dove.
Let's roll for freedom, let's roll for truth.
Let's not let our children grow up fearful in their youth."
Old July 19, 2006, 05:27 PM   #10
Doug.38PR

Yes. If someone is interested in a thread and wants to add to it, then who cares how old it is. Someone doesn't like it then don't participate. There are plenty of threads on TFL and other forums that I am not interested in, yet I don't go in and complain how worn out it is or how stupid the person is for bringing it up or reviving it.

If there aren't enough interested people in participating then it will die as quickly as it was revived. If enough people participate then that in and of itself makes it worthwhile.
Old July 25, 2006, 08:26 PM   #11
atlctyslkr

I noticed on strategies and tactics that the three latest threads are old ones that I dug up. Maybe they really weren't dead just taking a nap.