The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Closed Thread

Old July 23, 2006, 09:28 AM   #1
Jeepmark2005

HRT Going up or down stairways ???

I have had the good fortune of being invited to participate in some VERY advanced training. I am however behind the power curve and am trying to catch up. The most difficult area I have encountered is team movement up or down stairways. Someone is always taking a simunition round to the head going up the stairs. As a new member to this training I am assigned to rear guard and have been spared being blasted. When I do get assigned to point position I want to be ready. I am considering buying a blind spot mirror and mounting it on a small extendable stick. Any reasons for or against this?

We typically move in a 4 man dimond formation. Any tips for any aspect of moving in this configuration? Weapons used are AR-15s with .45 sidearms. We DO have access to a shield but don't always get to use it. Our instructor is outstanding. He has however already trained the team in areas that I have missed and I am an add on. Any advice from HRT members is welcome. The oportunity to get this type of training and of this quality is rare and I want to hold up my end. Help.
Old July 23, 2006, 09:49 AM   #2
garryc

http://www.copquest.com/21-1200.htm

This mirror attaches to your ASP. $20 as compaired to getting shot in the head, I'd say that is a good investment.
Old July 23, 2006, 11:36 AM   #3
Tim Burke

Going up stairs is difficult to do safely... and I find going down stairs is even harder.
Can you get your team members to brief you on the techniques they've been taught to negotiate stairs? If they've been doing the techniques they've been taught, and they are always getting nailed in the head, maybe that's a clue.