The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old August 7, 2006, 08:00 PM   #1
Ichiro

Creative places you've stashed a handgun

Now, I don't expect anyone to give out their secrets, but this is a more-or-less anonymous forum and I'm looking for ideas.

Where have you stashed a handgun in your home or car that you feel is an especially clever stashing place?

All of our guns, except the one I'm carrying, are stashed in quick-access safes. We have one on each floor of the house.
Old August 7, 2006, 08:53 PM   #2
Mannlicher

I typically stash one a little behind my right hip, resting in Sam Andrews IWB holster.

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.".........Ronald Reagan
Old August 7, 2006, 09:07 PM   #3
atlctyslkr

Empty cereal box in pantry, back when I lived in the 'hood. Was hoping theives wouldn't be hungry!
Old August 7, 2006, 09:23 PM   #4
cpaspr

When I was single,

two places:

Hanging upside down from a hook under the bathroom cabinet, just above the door, and

behind a decorative blanket hung like a cheap tapestry (I was young and poorer).

Back then, I was more interested in not having them stolen if someone broke in. They weren't even loaded.

A third place, different apartment - under the bottom drawer of the dresser.
Old August 7, 2006, 09:35 PM   #5
Ichiro

Leave it to stupid thieves to risk incarceration for a few mouthfuls of cereal!

Does anyone stash a handgun in a holster mounted on furniture or appliances? I'm thinking a handgun won't be found in most cases if it's mounted behind the washer or dryer, or on the back of a sofa or underneath a dining room table covered with a table cloth.
Old August 7, 2006, 09:44 PM   #6
joab

Toilet tank
Old August 8, 2006, 01:13 AM   #7
GodblessAmerica

I like how you are thinking outside the box here, Ichiro. If you are really contemplating hiding guns in unusual locations, however, it would be good to do a risk analysis for yourself before doing so. Examples: Are there children around who might find said firearms? Is there a significant other who may one day "redecorate" by selling or ditching the furniture concealing the firearms? You get the idea. I have thought this one all the way through several times, and I like it if it can be safe, secure and not sold at a yard sale!. My other long term suggestion is to include this information in an estate plan with an attorney so nothing goes amiss if something happens to you.
Old August 8, 2006, 02:35 AM   #8
Esquire M Busterbury

False bottom in bedside drawer...that, and a non-locking hideaway picture frame.
Old August 8, 2006, 10:17 AM   #9
OneInTheChamber

I hide my guns in my safe

Other than such a safe place as that; I've seen ads for fake electrical outlets. No one would ever guess that (unless the thief decides to plug the vacuum in and do some cleaning for you).
Old August 8, 2006, 11:09 AM   #10
BouncerDan

When I built my house I had a secret cubby hole built into my shower which was (for the most part) water proof with a removable tile so it fit in with the rest of the shower. Keep a Ruger .357 mag there to this day.
Old August 8, 2006, 01:00 PM   #11
john in jax

Inside a closet (not a walk-in) up over the door. Most closets are "shallow" and while a BG might go thru your clothes and items on shelving, he probably won't look straight-up over his head. Not how I'd choose to store guns with kids around, but it worked for me "pre-kids".

A friend of mine built his own entertainment center (think wall unit). The main "shelf" concealed a hide-a-way compartment approx 5" high, 60" wide and+/-24" deep. It easily held a couple of long guns and a bunch of hand guns. The way it was built, you'd never know it was there.
Old August 8, 2006, 01:12 PM   #12
riverkeeper

Creative in the Car

I HEARD that some folks split the upholstery seam on the rear of the passenger's seat toward the driver---insert a small holster and appropriate handgun, sew velcro on the seams to reseal.

Sounds bogus.
Old August 8, 2006, 01:19 PM   #13
Ichiro

Some great ideas here
Old August 8, 2006, 05:27 PM   #14
chadwimc

My wife has a holster screwed to the back of our bed's headboard. Its where she keeps her .357(which *USED* to be mine). The bed is against the wall, so the piece is invisible. A lot of burglars will toss the mattresses looing for a gun, but how many will toss the whole bed?
Old August 8, 2006, 05:59 PM   #15
AmesJainchill

Copy that. I like this thread.
Old August 8, 2006, 06:06 PM   #16
Glockamolie

A hollowed-out book from the used bookstore. Put it on the bookshelf with several other books. Playing the odds, I didn't figure that a criminal would want to educate himself, or could even read for that matter.
Old August 8, 2006, 08:40 PM   #17
Capt. Charlie
Moderator Emeritus

Along with my storm door, my main entry door is steel with only a small window at the top. I have a nylon holster with my Colt Det. Spl. velcroed to the inside of the door, just above the doorknob, canted toward me about 45 degrees, when I open it.

I can open the door to someone, & they never know my hand is just inches from a weapon. Should I invite them in, I simply close the storm door and leave the main door open, which puts the gun back against a wall and is never seen by a guest.

I train in earnest, to do the things that I pray in earnest, I'll never have to do.

--Capt. Charlie
Old August 8, 2006, 08:51 PM   #18
Anthony2

In a past house:

One in each toilet tank.
One behind the bricks in the fireplace.
One in an unused and unwired overhead light.

The only hard part was remembering them all when we moved.

Great ideas fellas....

"Baaa or Freedom!" - Ted Nugent

"Even if you are a minority of one, the truth is the truth." - Ghandi

"The Addiction to Guns, The only addiction to ever SAVE a life!"- Me
Old August 8, 2006, 09:40 PM   #19
kozak6

I don't stash guns anywhere special...

But I have read of using those refrigerator sized freezers, unplugged, out in the garage. Stick a lock on it, and that would be great. I bet a broken freezer could be picked up real cheap, too.

The size would allow you keep a ton of longarms in it as well.
Old August 8, 2006, 10:00 PM   #20
Ichiro

So how do you keep a hangun in a toilet tank? Doesn't it get full of water?
Old August 8, 2006, 10:00 PM   #21
skeeter1

I'm old school.

Most of my guns are in the bedroom closet, and the one I keep for HD is in the dresser drawer underneath my socks.

Other than that, I have no hiding places, and don't plan to.
Old August 8, 2006, 10:19 PM   #22
joab

Quote:
So how do you keep a hangun in a toilet tank? Doesn't it get full of water?
Tupperware, Saran Wrap and silica AerolGel.
Old August 8, 2006, 10:19 PM   #23
XavierBreath

At my desk is a scanner. It has no guts. Lift up the top, and remove handgun.
Old August 8, 2006, 10:46 PM   #24
DietCola

Inside the cabinet under the sink. Behind the dead panel there is plenty of room to put a hook or holster and mount a handgun.

Big lazy boy with a small handgun tucked deep inside the cushion on your strongside.

I personally don't have any "hidden" guns because I live with my gf but I have many places in my mind for the day I decide to use them.

Also, I used to think I would know what a robber would do if he broke in until I saw "It takes a thief" and I would bet they could find your "hidden" guns.
Old August 9, 2006, 08:01 AM   #25
j-framer

I especially like the scanner idea, XavierBreath. There is something particularly delightful about human creativity when it comes to preparing nasty surprises for evil people.... I would be simply transported with joy to see a BG's face when Xavier grabs a 1911 out of his Lexmark.

The hollowed-out book idea is hard to beat. No matter how many people have heard about this method, there is still no way for an intruder to go through every big book in the house looking for a weapon (at least not in my house, I'm something of an academic, so it would take a month to go through my books ).

As people have said, very nice and informative thread.