The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old August 14, 2006, 09:44 AM   #1
GeorgeAtl

Guns Disappearing at ORD/Chicago!!

My worst fear of carrying while travelling by air has been realized!!

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/l...k=sto-topstory

CHICAGO TRIBUNE EXCLUSIVE

Guns at O'Hare are disappearing
Firearms being stolen from checked bags

By David Heinzmann and Josh Noel
Tribune staff reporters

August 14, 2006

Several handguns have been stolen from bags checked by police officers, military personnel and others on United Airlines flights departing O'Hare International Airport, sparking concern that the weapons are loose in what is supposed to be a secure part of the airport.

Since the beginning of the year, there have been "a handful" of firearm thefts from luggage being handled by United personnel, Chicago police spokeswoman Monique Bond said. Bags containing guns also have disappeared, authorities said.

News of an investigation surfaced days after new security restrictions were placed on airports across the nation in the wake of British authorities foiling what they said was a plot to blow up U.S.-bound airplanes.

Aviation security experts said stealing from checked luggage long has been a problem at many airports and that guns are a favored target because they are easy to smuggle out and easy to sell.

Still another concern is that putting something into a bag could be just as easy as taking an item out, experts said.

"It's a problem at every airline and every airport," said aviation security consultant Douglas Laird.

United spokeswoman Robin Urbanski would not discuss the investigation Sunday except to say the airline is "working with the authorities on this matter." United, based in Chicago, is the dominant airline at O'Hare.

Also joining police in the investigation are the FBI and Chicago Department of Aviation.

For police officers, word of the thefts is being circulated on the Chicago police union's Web site, which warns of an officer whose weapon was stolen--one of "several cases" in "an ongoing problem"--that investigators confirmed for the union.

"United Airlines is having a serious problem with theft at O'Hare Airport," a notice on the Fraternal Order of Police site says. "This is something to think about next time you arrange vacation or business plans. Perhaps United Airlines is not the correct choice for flights for law enforcement or military personnel."

The FOP posted the warning as a service to its members after a union member's gun was stolen, President Mark Donahue said.

He said he knew little about the investigation's status or when the gun was stolen.

"He expressed his concern [to the union] just in the last week, so I'm guessing it wasn't too long ago," Donahue said.

Experts said there are generally two sources of such thefts: airline employees or Transportation Safety Administration baggage screeners. Stealing from checked luggage is a problem that dates back decades, Laird said.

People checking in luggage carrying a gun must declare their weapon with a ticket agent. Stealing the gun could be as easy as a ticket agent notifying a baggage handler below about which bag to open, Laird said.

Although the law requires guns to be carried in locked, hard-sided cases, baggage handlers have no problem getting into such luggage, he said.

The other possibility, experts said, is that TSA screeners who X-ray or inspect bags by hand could be pocketing the guns.

"Nobody has ever really resolved a real way around it," Laird said. "There's a real dilemma with baggage theft in the airline industry."

Watching the bags with cameras would be very costly, he said, with hundreds of cameras needed to survey the wide area where bags are handled, he said.

But David Stempler, president of the Air Travelers Association, an advocacy group for passenger security and savings, said such safety should be a priority.

"It's certainly troubling news," he said. "Especially with a gun, you'd think they have a higher level of security."

Michael Boyd, president of the Boyd Group, an aviation consulting firm based in Evergreen, Colo., said he is suspicious of TSA handlers. This year, TSA handlers in Seattle have pleaded guilty to stealing prescription drugs, and in two separate cases, a total of three screeners in Hawaii have pleaded guilty to stealing money from checked luggage.

"The TSA blames the airlines, and the airlines blame the TSA," Boyd said.

He said the guns probably do not pose a threat to passengers because they are "probably in a pawn shop in Cicero by now."

But if the guns can be removed, he said, other objects could be put into a bag.

"Operatives putting things in bags could be a problem," Boyd said.

Lara Uselding, spokeswoman for the Department of Homeland Security in Chicago, said the TSA is helping the investigation.

"The TSA works very closely with its local law enforcement partners to ensure that proper operations are conducted by all airport partners in compliance with the Airport Security Plan," she said. "All misconduct will be addressed on a case-by-case basis and dealt with accordingly."

In the meantime, Laird said he has simple advice.

"Would I ever check a weapon or valuable? No, I'd FedEx it."
Old August 14, 2006, 09:48 AM   #2
BlueTrain

The airport closest to where I sit is Dulles International, just outside Washington, D.C. The thing that bothers me most is that so much of the staff, including some of the security people (who are not airport employees) appear to be foreign and that includes Muslim.
Buy War Bonds.
Old August 14, 2006, 10:20 AM   #3
DonR101395

Quote:
Although the law requires guns to be carried in locked, hard-sided cases, baggage handlers have no problem getting into such luggage, he said.

The other possibility, experts said, is that TSA screeners who X-ray or inspect bags by hand could be pocketing the guns.

I like the system they had when I went flew out of Detroit. The TSA inspector searched your bag with you standing there, then locked it and let you verify it was locked. I also always use a large pelican case with hardened steel locks, they aren't cheap but $25 for two locks is better than $600-$700 for a new pistol. TSA has tried to cut them off and then paged me to come open my bag, when I got there the guy was standing with a set of broken 12" bolt cutters. I've cut them off of doors at work and it took two of us with a 36" bolt cutter (one of us on each handle pushing towards each other) They can be picked but they use a 5 tumbler lock instead of three so it's more difficult and takes a little longer.
Old August 14, 2006, 12:48 PM   #4
RJay

So, what's new, Airport workers have been stealing from luggage since check in luggage was invented. A bag with a tag that says "firearm" is like a personal request saying ( steal me )
Old August 14, 2006, 01:58 PM   #5
DonR101395

Quote:
So, what's new, Airport workers have been stealing from luggage since check in luggage was invented. A bag with a tag that says "firearm" is like a personal request saying ( steal me )
There's no tag on it that says there is a gun inside. The tag is placed inside your guncase.
Old August 14, 2006, 02:17 PM   #6
Big Calhoun

I agree with RJay that this has been going on for years. I have a folder of receipts of things that went 'missing' from the airport...laptops (2!! ), cameras, stereo equipment, a pair of binoculars, etc.

IMO, the real story is why are we just hearing about this particular 'threat' now. The timing seems a little sketchy to me...
Old August 14, 2006, 02:25 PM   #7
Venison_Jerkey32

Wouldn't you have to FedEX the weapon to an FFL otherwise it would be illegal?
Old August 14, 2006, 02:47 PM   #8
BigFunWMU

You can fed-ex it to yourself, FFLs are only required to transfer the ownership of a firearm.
Old August 14, 2006, 02:49 PM   #9
DonR101395

Quote:

Wouldn't you have to FedEX the weapon to an FFL otherwise it would be illegal?

You can mail a long gun usps but have to use a contract carrier(fedex) for pistols. But you can ship them interstate to yourself or in the care of another person. They aren't supposed to open the box though. This is off of the ATF FAQ page.

"(B9) May a nonlicensee ship firearms interstate for his or her use in hunting or other lawful activity? [Back]

Yes. A person may ship a firearm to himself or herself in care of another person in the State where he or she intends to hunt or engage in any other lawful activity. The package should be addressed to the owner. Persons other than the owner should not open the package and take possession of the firearm."

Edit: Getting FedEx to understand they can do it is a different story.
Old August 14, 2006, 02:55 PM   #10
Wyo Cowboy

Airline employees stealing from baggage... Never!

Passengers claiming thefts which didn't happen... No Way!

Passengers stealing things out of my crew bag... Oh, like that's never happpened!
Old August 14, 2006, 03:15 PM   #11
thales

DonR101395;

What brand of locks are those?

Old August 14, 2006, 09:12 PM   #12
GrandmasterB

I checked a gun on a trip a couple of months ago. I had a pistol lock on it, put it in a locked, hard-sided case and that went into my hard-sided suitcase. I installed a large o-ring bolt in the suitcase and used a cable bike lock to lock the pistol case to the suitcase.

It may sound like overkill, but I wanted to make it damn hard for someone to steal. Thieves often go for the easy target. Make it difficult and they sometimes give up.
Old August 15, 2006, 01:43 AM   #13
DonR101395

Quote:
DonR101395;

What brand of locks are those?

They are the masterlock commercial locks. You can find them on the web for around $15 each.