The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old September 12, 2006, 09:11 PM   #1
enikkor

SA XD long term experience?

I've read a lot of good things about the Springfield XD series of pistols.
I also like the prices. It appears that it got most of the features from
other brands and improve on it with their own ideas. I also read about the
torture test which says their guns can handle the toughest situations.
Oh yea, what about the rusting problems?

Now, I want to know about your personal short or long terms experience
in actual usage of the XD pistols. Good or bad, please let us know!!
before I open my wallet.
Old September 12, 2006, 10:02 PM   #2
9mmsnoopy

you cant go wrong if you buy an xd.

i had an xd 9 and i put over 2000 rounds thru it with nary a hiccup, it was accurate and pretty easy to clean as well.

i live right on the gulf coast, lots of humidity and i didnt have any rusting problems, i did keep the slide well oiled when i had it stored.

yep, i said HAD an xd. i did sell it, just had to have that Kahr pm9(no regrets on it so far), but i give the xd line my hearty endorsement, i wouldnt hesitate to buy another, and likely will eventually.
Bushmaster AR15
Old September 13, 2006, 12:38 AM   #3
Mosin44az

Both my XD 9s started to have extraction problems with Winchester ammo after only 200-300 rounds. Winchester looks like it has a shallower case rim, but to me this showed a less-than-robust extractor design. Other buddies wanted them, despite the handfuls of malfs. Sold, got a Glock 19. Feel much more confident in it.
Old September 13, 2006, 01:12 AM   #4
Topthis

My XD is about 2 1/2 years old...I have over 10k through it, with ONE FTE. I use mostly WWB, followed by CCI Brass and Speer Lawman. All I need to do is clean it and shoot it. I put a #22 Recoil Spring and 1 piece Guide Rod. Accurate, low recoil, reliable, comfortable, easy take down and fun as hell to shoot!!
Old September 13, 2006, 01:38 PM   #5
Mikeyboy

I hate to piggyback on Enikkor thread, but I'm also curious about the opinions of long term XD owners. Are XD as reliable and long lasting as a Glock? I heard about the possible rusting problems, and I can deal with that. I also seen one review which said that Glaser rounds will not work in the XD (see below), but other reviewer mention no problems with Glasers. I want an XD as my primary house gun so it definately needs to handle Glasers without problems.

http://www.hipowersandhandguns.com/SpringfieldXD9.htm
Old September 14, 2006, 08:05 AM   #6
marlboroman84

Like mine ok

I like my XD subcompact 9mm allright. It was my first semi-auto and I bought it for hype and price mainly. I like the grip with the extension, but not to crazy about the basic 10 rd magazine grip. It's a bit to short for my taste. I've fired the 4" and of course my 3" and like the 4" much better, but my 3" is a better concealer for my body type. Upsides of the XD series is price,you get a bit of extra stuff with the gun,mine has been very reliable thus far (over 500 rds), and I think they look cool. Downside would be that there aren't a whole lot of holsters readily available for the xd series yet, and apparently the rusting problem?? (can someone tell me about the rusting problem I haven't heard of this) I'd say for 450-500 bucks it's definitely worth getting. I like them just as much as Glock and I think it'll be a series that only improves with time.
Old September 14, 2006, 09:51 AM   #7
CDH

Quote:
Downside would be that there aren't a whole lot of holsters readily available for the xd series yet, and apparently the rusting problem?? (can someone tell me about the rusting problem I haven't heard of this)
Argueably one of the best holster makers around makes his Max-Con V holster for all the XD's so for a really good IWB rig, look no further.
http://www.brommelandgunleather.com/products.htm

There have been a handful of people reporting they have found rust on their XD's (slide) and I believe them, but this is the internet after all so a "handful" of reports get repeated by those who've never even held an XD in their hands, and that gets morphed into "a lot" which then gets morphed into "every" and then gets morphed into "I knew a guy who knew a guy who said he thought another guy had an XD where the slide dissolved from rust right before his very eyes".
Like I said, this "is" the Internet.

All pistols that are made of metal are prone to rust if not kept maintained so I don't think that the XD's are made of some kind of "special" metal that's prone to rust more than any other pistol.

There's no magic when it comes to rust. If you take care of your pistol and keep it lubed (any make or model), it won't rust, even IF a finish has worn down to metal (look at all the blued guns out there with bluing wear that still don't rust because they are maintained correctly).
On the other hand, IF I ever see any part of the finish on my XD9SubC wear to metal, I would just send it off and have it ArmorCoated or Parkerized or whatever the tough finish "flavor" of the moment is.

Carter
Old September 14, 2006, 10:10 AM   #8
FS2K

No rusting problems here..

And I live in the most humid salt spray heavy enviroments imaginable. The rusting problems were with the older models, SA has addressed the issue and it shouldn't be a problem anymore.

No extraction problems here. The gun is shooting great and I don't forsee it changing anytime soon. I've had my XD45 for a little over a month now and have put close to 700 rounds through it with no problems. I am a big Glock fan and I see this gun lasting as long as my 18 year old G17 has been handling so far.
Old September 14, 2006, 10:57 AM   #9
OBIWAN

They have not been out long enough to know how they will do "long term"
Old September 14, 2006, 04:31 PM   #10
Dusty Dan

^The basic XD design (the HS2000) has been available for five or six years now, with minor design changes as needed. There have been a few well-established rust issues, but as of May of this year (according to SA), all XD's are being made with a new surface finish process called melonite, which is similar in durability to Glock's tennifer.

If you want specific info about XD's, check us out over here:

www.xdtalk.com

Every question you could possibly have has been addressed at least once, and we pride ourselves on being a relaxed bunch.
Old September 14, 2006, 04:35 PM   #11
EIGHTYDUECE

Is'nt Meleonite the same finish that Beretta uses on their 92FS?

"Shop Smart, Shop S-Mart"- ASH
Old September 14, 2006, 04:38 PM   #12
Dusty Dan

^Uh....every question except that one--couldn't tell you. I don't know if it's proprietary to the XD line or if they adopted it.

Edit: I just posted this over at xdtalk; I'll let you know what I find out.
Old September 14, 2006, 05:04 PM   #13
Lieut96

I have not had any problems with my XD9 service, lost count on rounds over 2000 less than 3000.
That being said I wish Springfield would sell minor parts such as springs, and firing pins. I realize there is a lifetime warranty, however for something as minor as a broken spring I would not want to have to send in my pistol.
It would be nice to have a few spare parts on hand.
Old September 14, 2006, 05:06 PM   #14
Dusty Dan

As for the melonite question, after a bit of research I've found it's a fairly common surface conversion hardening coating for use on steel, so it's entirely possible Beretta uses it too.
Old September 14, 2006, 07:23 PM   #15
nmshooter

My XD had about 1300 rounds when I sold it. I cleaned it everytime I went shooting and I thought I was cleaning it very well. I never took apart the slide I just brushed and wiped the inside with Blue Wonder. One day I went shooting and on my first shot I pulled the trigger and nothing happened. I tried a few more times with different ammunition but it never worked. I got home and found that the shaft the firing pin slides in was dirty. I sprayed it out and it worked fine. But other then that 1300 round with not one malfunction.
Old September 14, 2006, 07:33 PM   #16
Ausserordeutlich

Dusty: Last info I got on XD/HS2000 Forums was that Melonite was only on the .45ACP, with no plans for other models. Do you have contrary information that's current?
Old September 14, 2006, 07:36 PM   #17
springmom

nmshooter...

With the ease of assembly of the XD series, there's no reason not to remove the slide and clean everything every time. Mine's had far more rounds than that with no problems and I clean everything, every time.

I want every firearm clean so that if I need to depend on it I know I can. It doesn't take that long and it's a worthwhile investment of time.

Springmom

home on the web:
www.panagia-icons.net (my webpage)
www.nousfromspring.blogspot.com (Orthodoxy)

"I couldn't hear you. Stop firing the gun while you're talking!" Frank Drebin, The Naked Gun
Old September 14, 2006, 07:41 PM   #18
Dusty Dan

Quote:

Dusty: Last info I got on XD/HS2000 Forums was that Melonite was only on the .45ACP, with no plans for other models. Do you have contrary information that's current?

This has been the subject of rumors and conflicting reports over on xdtalk for a while now, but the definitive answer just came down from SA today (Sept. 14). All XD's manufactured from May on (not sure of the exact date) are now using the new finish. Hopefully thumbprint rust is now a thing of the past.

http://www.xdtalk.com/forums/showthr...light=melonite

Hope this helps.
Old September 14, 2006, 08:23 PM   #19
TexasCop

I have an XD 40 I've had for about 4 years now. No problems with it whatsoever, probably have about 1500 rounds out of it. Never carried it CCW though, so don't know about the rust complaints that other people have posted about.

Have had an XD 45 in 45acp for around 8 or 9 months now, since they first became available. LOVE it as well. I've just broken the 500 round count with no problems so I'm now carrying it as a CCW and haven't had any issues yet.
Old September 14, 2006, 08:38 PM   #20
JIH

I bought an XD-40 when they first came out. (4 or 5 years ago)

They're FANTASTIC.

I'm going to get a XD-45 soon, just have a few other things in the "budget queue" first (being a gun guy and a car guy gets expensive... thank the Lord I suck at golf).

Like TexasCop, I've not carried it concealed, but I've been on boats and in saltwater marsh and never had rust issues at all.
Old September 14, 2006, 08:42 PM   #21
Dusty Dan

From what I've read over on the other forum, the rust issue has been really hit-or-miss; there doesn't seem to be much rhyme or reason to it. Some guns in a particular area get it and some don't. It could just boil down to the toxicity of a person's sweat, how well the gun is maintained, or other factors. I've got the 45 ACP and love it; it's been nothing but reliable, and with the new finish and proper care, no issues with that either.
Old September 15, 2006, 08:12 AM   #22
EIGHTYDUECE

I did some looking and found that Berettas are finish with something else and not Melonite.

I look forward to looking at one of the newer finish ones. I'm glad they upgraded the finish finally.

"Shop Smart, Shop S-Mart"- ASH
Old September 17, 2006, 05:04 PM   #23
RV4driver

Many metal finishes are the same or similar but with different trade names.
Old September 18, 2006, 01:55 PM   #24
Mikeyboy

The reason the Rust issue does not bother me is the Stainless Steel version is still slightly cheaper then the plan blued Glock
Old September 18, 2006, 02:14 PM   #25
Bonstrosity

I had an xd for about a year. I never had any rust problems or any other functioning problems. The one problem I had was with the aftermarket. There are not many holsters for the gun. Also the one big thing that got me to trade the gun was being able to buy aftermarket parts. Springfield closed off the sales of their parts. So if something breaks you need to send it in. I got a glock because now I can have another set of parts ready to go if something breaks. I can also do a lot of work on my own, like the trigger for example. It's just something to think about, the XD is a great gun by all means just make sure you don't mind sending it in if it breaks.